Beets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wan

Cook
Hello. Just wondering how often a healthy person can eat beets.

They are high in oxalates, hence the question.

Thanks.

you can eat beets as often as you like but keep in mind...

like everything else in life - moderation is a good bedfellow

over-indulgence doesn't necessarily give you a healthier body

there will always be certain detrimental parts to any food and overindulgence will force which ever organs necessary to work overtime to compensate - which may - or may not - negate the good you are looking for

Thanks for the response.

So my question now becomes: how often is "moderate"? Can I eat them once a week?

I really like beets. I think they are super healthy.

I'm not sure that anyone here is a licensed nutritionist who would be qualified to answer such a question.

Some other things that are high in oxylates are many types of greens, and they are always recommended, and not just once a week, so that should not be a problem. Only a few people need to limit their oxylates severely, so unless a doctor has recommended that you do this, you shouldn't have to worry.

There are lots of things that have far more oxalic acid than beets. Spinach and rhubarb come to mind. If you have kidney stones, beets might be a problem. Otherwise, they are fairly safe, well, unless you are allergic to them. If you consume a few ounces of dairy, it pretty much neutralizes the ill effects of oxalates.

Thanks for the response.

So my question now becomes: how often is "moderate"? Can I eat them once a week?

I really like beets. I think they are super healthy.
I'm not sure that anyone here is a licensed nutritionist who would be qualified to answer such a question.
This is a medical question that you should ask of your doctor. In general, they're fine for most people, but if you're concerned, your doctor knows your medical history and nutritional needs. A random bunch of people on the internet can't answer this for you.

Stupid moderation. Always gets in the way of yummy things.

Luckily beets aren't an issue for me. I will probably never eat too many if those. Ick.

Sweet tea however. I drank so much that it now causes an allergic reaction.

Still drink iced tea. Gotta have some vices, even if you have to suffer a bit.

LOL - I love spinach, asparagus, shrimp and red peppers - all of which severely aggravate my arthritis.... but I still eat them!

Beets are a root veggie tht stores its energy in the form of sugars. If you have to watch your sugar intake, then watch the amount of beets that you consume.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom