Buying spices online

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have a Penzey's down the road, so I go there quite a bit. One tip when buying from Penzey's: save the jar and refill with their bulk packages, which come in plastic bags. It's a LOT less expensive than buying a new jar every time.

That's what I do too. You can also buy new bottles with blank labels and make your own. Sadly, the label doesn't take printer ink and smudges. I just duplicated the label graphics on my computer and print my own labels.

Attachments

• jgvy.jpg
    jgvy.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 298
Andy M. said:
That's what I do too. You can also buy new bottles with blank labels and make your own. Sadly, the label doesn't take printer ink and smudges. I just duplicated the label graphics on my computer and print my own labels.

I carefully rip the label off the Penzeys bag and stick it on an old mustard, mayo, salsa or spaghetti jar. Then pour the product in. It comes off easily, and is nice and sticky.

Last edited:
We have a Penzey's down the road, so I go there quite a bit. One tip when buying from Penzey's: save the jar and refill with their bulk packages, which come in plastic bags. It's a LOT less expensive than buying a new jar every time.
I don't buy spices on line, but I do buy the bulk packages. I've been doing that since the '80s.

Sometimes I print a label (I have a label printer) and sometimes I just write with a Sharpie. The jars from capers are very good for spices, as are the ones from pickled artichoke hearts. I get very annoyed when labels won't wash off easily. :ermm::LOL:

I initially bought all my Penzys in the spice jars, now I refill them with the larger packages. Simply, at the time I could and I wanted all my jars to be the same size, made creating shelves for them easy.

I initially bought all my Penzys in the spice jars, now I refill them with the larger packages. Simply, at the time I could and I wanted all my jars to be the same size, made creating shelves for them easy.
There's your kitchen OCDedness showing!:LOL: I buy my spice jars at a local bulk food store. I also use small canning jars. I too have a label maker...I label the jars. I don't buy blends, so don't need the ingredients list.

I get very annoyed when labels won't wash off easily. :ermm::LOL:
I have had success in removing stubborn labels and adhesive with some stuff called Goo Gone. Before finding that, depending on the type of adhesive, I have used cooking oil, hot water and/or lighter fluid as a last resort. There used to be a brand of steel wool in these parts called Danny Duzit. Haven't seen any for a spell, they were mighty durable. Steel wool also helps overcome stubbornness in a label.

I love Penzey's, too. Like Andy, I am due for a run soon.

But there are a couple of things I like that only Spice House sells.

I have had success in removing stubborn labels and adhesive with some stuff called Goo Gone. Before finding that, depending on the type of adhesive, I have used cooking oil, hot water and/or lighter fluid as a last resort. There used to be a brand of steel wool in these parts called Danny Duzit. Haven't seen any for a spell, they were mighty durable. Steel wool also helps overcome stubbornness in a label.
I first heard about Goo Gone when I was a member of a car detailing forum. Big discussions about how toxic is the stuff.

I hadn't thought of using cooking oil. I usually soak them in hot water and if they won't scrub off, it better be a really good jar or it goes in the recycling bin. I'm actually mostly annoyed that the manufacturers make it so hard.

As far as I can find out, label adhesives can be water based or oil based. Goo Gone certainly has it own set of difficulties, as does naphtha (lighter fluid). Always follow manufacturer's directions for use.

Failing that...I used to use those contrary jars for target practice. Mrs Hoot ain't fond of that, so into the recycling bin it goes.

MIT and Harvard draw hosts of foreign students each year. As a result, Cambridge is loaded with a large offering of ethnic stores, restaurants and other places "just like home." They have a couple of spice stores where you buy from large bins or individual packets. Then the next town over in Arlington, they have Penzy's. We are well taken care of in the Boston area for our choice of spices.

Then in Porter Square, Cambridge (where Porter House steaks originated) they have an Indian restaurant called "Elephant's Walk". The most divine aromas escape when a patron opens the door. :chef:

MIT and Harvard draw hosts of foreign students each year. As a result, Cambridge is loaded with a large offering of ethnic stores, restaurants and other places "just like home." They have a couple of spice stores where you buy from large bins or individual packets. Then the next town over in Arlington, they have Penzy's. We are well taken care of in the Boston area for our choice of spices.

Then in Porter Square, Cambridge (where Porter House steaks originated) they have an Indian restaurant called "Elephant's Walk". The most divine aromas escape when a patron opens the door. :chef:

Addie, the Elephant Walk restaurant is Cambodian.

Thanks Andy. I always thought it was Indian. I will have to let Son #2 know. He is the adventurous one in the family for foreign foods. He is a cab dirver in Woburn and often recommends that restaurant to some of the fares he picks up at the airport. Say the word 'curry' to him and he melts. His father used to make curry chicken and the two boys loved it. Boston might be known for the seafood, but Cambridge holds the Oscar for ethnic foreign foods and restaurants.

Son #1 wants to try and duplicate the dish his father made. I am going to get him the cookbook by the woman (whose name escapes me at the moment) who has written several Indonesian cookbooks. I will recognize it as soon as I see it.

Just wandering the streets of Cambridge is an adventure in life of foreign lands and countries. :yum::yum:

I too have bought products from penzys spices. Its pretty good. They have good reputation . But recently i switched to horton spice Mills in Markham. I do this mainly because its easy to buy items in bulk from there. Their quality is also pretty awesome.

I too have bought products from penzys spices. Its pretty good. They have good reputation . But recently i switched to horton spice Mills in Markham. I do this mainly because its easy to buy items in bulk from there. Their quality is also pretty awesome.
Welcome to DC David.

I suspect shipping is easier and cheaper from Markham.

Do you order them online or do you pick them up at the store? I found their website and didn't see any way to order online. It would be handy to have a Canadian online spice store, instead of dealing with customs brokers.

I'm excited. I been looking for a few things in stores but they seem to be hard to find. I found what I wanted at olivenation.

1. Grains of Paradise
2. Juniper Berries
3. Za'atar (or something like that)

It will be fun trying something new!

Just ran across this thread. So many spice choices! I have an abundance of Penzeys stuff in my spice cupboard...and pantry...and bulk bags in the basement. :ohmy: That doesn't mean I don't stray from time to time. Last time in FL we ran across a chain store "Spice Merchants" that offered single herb/spice or blended mixes. We loveLoveLOVE their Thai Coconut blend on grilling shrimp. :yum: The black truffle salt adds a nice touch to smashed potatoes. Or chicken. Or lots of stuff.

I'm rapidly approaching the time for another run to their local store. I often tie it in with a run to the Armenian markets in Watertown. One loop and I've covered all the bases.

The Pirate and I always head for Cambridge for the ethnic stores. I let him lead me as when he lived in Somerville, he used to cook for a dry/halfway house there on weekends and did the food ordering and buying for them. So he knows all the really cheap and good places. Because of Harvard, MIT and other schools of higher learning, there isn't an ethnic group that is not represented in Cambridge. In restaurants and stores. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom