Cake flour or All purpose + Corn starch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, seeing real cake flour doesn't contain any corn starch, I'd have to vote for cake flour. All adding corn starch to all purpose flour does is lighten up the flour and reduce the gluten. It would be okay in a pinch, but it would never be the same. It's like the difference between a cup of Starbucks Sumatra blend and a cup of instant Maxwell House.

Read somewhere 1 c cake flour = 3/4 all purpose + 1/4 starch ( corn, potato, etc). Anyone tried both ways?

The correct measurement is 1 cup of AP flour with 2 T removed and replaced by corn starch. Yours is twice that much -- you probably don't want to bake with that much cornstarch.

Its always better to use cake flour if you can.

Luckily cake flour comes in a 2lb. box, so if you buy cake flour, you won't be stuck with a bunch if you aren't making a lot of cakes.

I only use cake flour when making scratch cakes, it makes a difference.

I use soft whole grain wheat instead of cake flour. It works really well. Since the health food store doesn't carry all purpose, organic, whole grain flour, I always have soft and hard flour at home.

We have a flour here in the states called White Lily and it is made from a softer wheat and many in the south swear by it for their biscuits. I have found that it works well for cakes too. It's a good compromise if you don't want to have both flours in your cabinet.

I don't like using cake flour, mainly because it's bleached, plus most of my recipes use unbleached all purpose. If the recipe calls for cake flour, I make my own with unbleached all purpose flour and cornstarch. For 1 cup, I mix 2 Tbsp cornstarch with 3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp flour, and sift it several times. I've always had great results.

I'm all about all natural products, but I like how bleached flour gives a more delicate crumb to cakes and such.

My next box of cake flour will be the fairly new product from King Arthur Flour, it's an Unbleached cake flour. I am curious how it will compare in a simple yellow cake where the texture makes so much difference.

I'm all about all natural products, but I like how bleached flour gives a more delicate crumb to cakes and such.

My next box of cake flour will be the fairly new product from King Arthur Flour, it's an Unbleached cake flour. I am curious how it will compare in a simple yellow cake where the texture makes so much difference.

Let us know how it works out!

Back
Top Bottom