Cheesemaking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

africhef

Sous Chef
After reading Barbara Kingsolvers new book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle I became inspired to make cheese ordered a kit and am anxiously awaiting its arrival.
Looks pretty easy.

Thats what I thought until I tried it. Didnt quite work out for me. Hopefully u have better luck than I did. Keep us posted on the results, because Id like to try again.

I am interested in hearing about your experiences, too, africhef! Sounds like fun!

Lee

This is the ONLY cheese I ever made.

Thanks to Chef Jeff in Ca

Make it extra special with this homemade Ricotta

Homemade Ricotta

1 quart whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 scant teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons white vinegar

Have ready a strainer lined with dampened cheesecloth and set in a bowl that’s deep enough so the strainer doesn’t touch the bottom of the bowl.

Pour milk and cream into a 4 qt. saucepan. Add the salt. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.

When the milk is simmering, turn off the heat and pour in the vinegar. Leave alone for about 1 minute. Then start to stir slowly and gently. The milk will start separating into curds and whey (milky liquid); you are looking for the whey to become clearish, which will take about 1 minute of stirring. Once this happens, pour the mixture into the strainer. Lift the strainer out of the bowl and pour out the whey. Set the strainer back in the bowl and let the cheese drain for 15 minutes (or longer if you want a denser cheese). The ricotta is ready to serve now, but you can also refrigerate it, covered, for up to 5 days.

Makes about 1 1/2 cups

Hello, Africhef! Welcome to DC! I'm a cheesemaker, too! Have been making it for decades, all kinds, but the major "repeats" are cheeses like cream cheese, mascarpone, ricotta, and especially mozzarella! Nothing like it!

Lift the strainer out of the bowl and pour out the whey.

Are you KIDDING me? :ohmy: Do you know what you can make with that luscious whey, besides even MORE cheese?!

cheesemaking

okay I got my kit in the mail, poured the milk into pot thought okay here I go, after all the excitement my "cheese" was a mess. I think it was the water I used to dilute the rennet. Dasani by coco cola has additives. will try again until I get it right. I was trying to make mozzarella and ended up with some new concoction.:LOL:

when i attempted my mozazarella, what was supposed to be a pound, turned out to be about the size of a little grape, after i kneaded and kneaded and pulled and pulled ......I had gotten the kit, the dvd and everything. I have made my own Paneer though, for indian food which is relatively simple. But, Im still looking foward to the freh Mozzarella. It looked so easy and fool-proof in the video. I guess not for this Fool :-p

did some more reading, and believe that homogenized milk is a no no, so have have yo get raw milk or lightly pasteurized milk, which is hard to find in maryland

I've been thinking about these magical cheese kits too:)
Arent you supposed to use something like whipping cream? I talked to a local dairy farmer, he told me it was illegal for him to sell raw milk:(

did some more reading, and believe that homogenized milk is a no no, so have have yo get raw milk or lightly pasteurized milk, which is hard to find in maryland

this is not correct..you can successfully use homogenized milk to make cheeses...what was your source that said you could not?

I use goats milk for all my cheeses and it is "naturally" homogenized, meaning the fat in the milk stays suspended throughout the milk, the cream does not rise to the top, easily.

Africhef welcome to DC!! As for cheesemaking, IMHO there are some things that are just easier to buy, but bless you and your pioneer spirit!!

If Kraft ever stops making that aeresol cheese in a can, then I may try and make my own. Until then though, bottoms up!! (why put it on a cracker?):LOL:

I am such a purist but that aerosol cheese sprayed right on a quarter cracker is my dirty secret. my children can never ever know:pig:

NO, NO, NO - Africhef you are doing it wrong. Crackers? Why do you think they put a mouthpiece on top of the can!!:LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom