Differences of white and black peppers..?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SEEING-TO-BELIEVE

Head Chef
what are the differences between black pepper and white pepper besides the color (like in the case of adding it to rice)?
and what tips do you have for using black or white peppers?

thank you in advance!

I personally find that white pepper has less bite to it and red peppercorns even less so. I like a mix of all three on my foods.

For cooking I prefer black. White for, as you say, colour blending - and LOL -
for people who say they don't like pepper (Dad:rolleyes:) but don't notice if it has been added to the food (Mom ;))

White pepper is not as pungent as black pepper. Black pepper is created by picking the unripe peppercorns from the tree and letting them ripen. In the case of white pepper, the peppercorns are picked when ripe, fermented and then the skin is removed.
Chinese cuisine in general uses white, rather than black pepper, whereas Western cuisine in general uses black pepper. Pepper is the most popular spice in the world.
My advice to using spices is to be cautious, rather than extravagant.

Szechuan and Lemongrass

and while we are on the subject of peppers...

Szechuan Peppers. Green or Red - One is spicier than the other and the other having a more perfume. One is ripe the other I assume picked earlier.

Although I've asked at several sites that have used them in their recipes - I never seem to get a clear answer as to which one they are generally referring to.

Also several of the very first recipes I saw with them used them whole - and it was mentioned that it was generally understood for the diner to remove them. Now I often see them crushed and left in. Personally don't care for that as I find them too crunchy - unless super, super ground.

Plus, on the whole or not whole note, my first recipes with Lemongrass said the same thing. Lemongrass was smashed and removed before serving or left to the diner to remove. Now I see them crushed, chopped and left in. Again, personally don't care for that, as again! too fibrous.

My only advice about pepper is to crush or grind it just prior to use, when not using it whole. Once it is crushed or ground, it starts to lose volatile oils that give the flavours and aromas. It may still have flavour, but it starts losing some of the flavour components.

Here's a good blog with a lot of info on peppercorns:
https://www.spicesinc.com/p-4817-spice-cabinet-101-peppercorns.aspx

My usual black pepper is the Tellicherry the strongest, and only a little more expensive than the Malibar and Lampong, all of which are good. In more recent years, Cambodia got back into the peppercorn market - they used to be a major producer, before the war destroyed all of their trees, but they replanted, and there is a Kampot black pepper available now, though the price has almost tripled since I bought it about 15 years ago - almost $60, compared to $21! The flavor is more floral, and I now use it sparingly, as a garnish, keeping most of in in the freezer, until the price comes down. The Red Peppercorns are even more expensive - I got a sampling of them one time, and was not impressed; I wouldn't buy them at the tellicherry price!

I use white pepper a lot in Thai food, and my favorite, I discovered years ago from Pennzey's, is Sarawak. This is a bright white pepper (compared to the usual white peppercorns), with a cleaner smell and taste, which is the result of soaking the mature peppercorns in flowing water, before de-hulling them. Not available everywhere, and a little more expensive, but worth it, IMO.

thank you all
that was interesting
as i said
i use white pepper in white rice most of the time.
the problem can be when the pepper is not dispersed well (it can
consolidate)
and stay in pieces that might cause coughing when eaten
but it doesn't happen mostly

Like Chili peppers, black/white peppers are irritants and can cause coughing especially when it hits the back of the throat's sensitive area.

As I'm sure you are already aware:- My only suggestion is:-

to really try to ensure your pepper is well distributed throughout the food (if it needs to be mixed in)

and evenly spaced on solid foods (such as meats) This can be achieved by sprinkling it from a height. I know some hate to do that as it also sprinkles over the counter, but it truly is the best way to evenly distribute.

in a marinade, you can only be sure it is well mixed and well rubbed onto your food and/or 'soaking' it.

I'm not sure I understand how your pepper seems to be able to consolidate. I don't believe that after being well mixed they can get back together into lumps.

hi
when i add black pepper to the water of white rice it is often get into "lumps" even if sprinkling it from a height
perhaps because the water isn't hot at the beginning before it boils?

this is my experience anyway

i'm not talking about pepper that is coarsely crashed but i'm talking on finely grounded pepper.

Have never added pepper to rice water, but that being the case,

1. I would wait until the water boils

2. Add it at the same time as the rice and give it a good stir

3. personally I would also give it a good stir once the rice/water has come back to a boil as I put the lid on to simmer.

Once cooked, I would make sure to give it a good "fluff" before serving or placing into serving bowl.

Hope this helps!

i usually boil the rice along with the water. isn't that a good method? (not adding the rice to a boiling water)

i will try adding the pepper when it's boiling and not before. do you say that the pepper will get lumpy only in cold water?

THANK YOU

i usually (1.)boil the rice along with the water. isn't that a good method? (not adding the rice to a boiling water)

i will try adding the pepper when it's boiling and not before. do you say that the pepper (2.)will get lumpy only in cold water?

THANK YOU

1. nothing wrong with that, many if not most people do. (think I got carried away, that is actually how I do it too :()

2. I don't know but it is possible. However, adding 'anything' to rapidly boiling water will disperse it as it roils around. Try waiting til the water comes to a boil, add your pepper, give it a stir and then lower to your simmer.

S-T-B, I think I know what you are talking about. This happens to me with very finely ground onion powder or garlic powder. The easiest way to avoid that is to have it less finely ground. Otherwise, I would recommend that you mix into a small amount of water until it is evenly distributed. Then add that to your rice water.

When I have gotten those little lumps with the garlic or onion powder, I often smash them with the back of a spoon, so that the lump gets wet all the way through and turns into a paste. That little bit of paste then mixes easily and thoroughly into the other ingredients.

I wouldn´t add the pepper to the rice while it´s cooking; only when it´s ready, drainedand ready to eat.
adding pepper to the rice while it´s cooking is guaranteed to lose all the essential oils in the pepper, and therefore, omst of the flavour.

Back
Top Bottom