Earthquake NJ and NY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
Did you feel the quake? Are you okay NY and NJ?

Northern California, another? Stay safe!

I was upstairs in my house, putting clothes away, when it happened. At first, I thought it was a train, on the track about a block and a half from me, which sometimes rattles the bottles in my liquor cabinet, but it got worse than any of those had ever been, and I could see the door, and things on the dresser moving for several seconds. I later found out that it was a 4.8 level EQ, with an epicenter about 45 or 50 miles N of me, so it was probably about a 3 around here. This is all everyone is talking about on the news, which I usually only look at for the weather! :LOL:

Nothing seems damaged, with no leaking gas lines, or anything else like that.

I was upstairs in my house, putting clothes away, when it happened. At first, I thought it was a train, on the track about a block and a half from me, which sometimes rattles the bottles in my liquor cabinet, but it got worse than any of those had ever been, and I could see the door, and things on the dresser moving for several seconds. I later found out that it was a 4.8 level EQ, with an epicenter about 45 or 50 miles N of me, so it was probably about a 3 around here. This is all everyone is talking about on the news, which I usually only look at for the weather! :LOL:

Nothing seems damaged, with no leaking gas lines, or anything else like that.

Sorry to hear that,glad you're ok.

I’m about 230 miles north and had a shake similar to a tractor trailer rumbling by my building.

I don’t mean to minimize the serious nature of an earthquake but it has been a welcome relief from the constant barrage of stories about Monday’s eclipse that have all but taken over the local news media.

I felt it. Cats were a little upset. I posted in the weather thread.
I saw that. It was the first I heard about it. Then I saw a couple of emails coming in from news sources. No one really expects earthquakes on the East coast, but we get them here in Southern Quebec too. Never too very big, so far.

My neighbors on my street say they felt it, but I didn’t.

Later, I discovered that cans and bottles and stuff in my pantry and on my counters fell over.

There was an earthquake 2 years ago on Cape Cod which sounded like a huge truck hitting something and it shook the house.

I only remember one earth quake. Like taxy, on the island of Montreal. It was a rumble that started in the basement and worked its way up. Very strange feeling but for some reason I knew right away what it was. Was not severe at all and I was more excited to finally experience one than to be afraid. My daughter was walking to school (and reading a book at the same time :rolleyes: ) and says she never noticed a thing.

I only remember one earth quake. Like taxy, on the island of Montreal. It was a rumble that started in the basement and worked its way up. Very strange feeling but for some reason I knew right away what it was. Was not severe at all and I was more excited to finally experience one than to be afraid. My daughter was walking to school (and reading a book at the same time :rolleyes: ) and says she never noticed a thing.
I have slept through a couple, here on the island. The first time I felt one, I was waiting for a bus at Cabot Square, not far from the Atwater Metro. I thought we were feeling the trains or a truck. But, it kept on going and then I noticed the lamp posts swaying. I told the lady I was talking to that we should get out from under the concrete roof that protects people waiting for buses, from rain, etc. She was at least as surprised as me that we were feeling an earthquake.

Weirdest episode with an earthquake for me was in middle school or high school in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles. I asked if anyone else felt it. It was very faint. No one did. I noted the time. I told classmates and my parents that I thought it felt like it was a big earthquake far away. I paid careful attention to the TV news that evening. There had been a big earthquake in or near Mexico City at the time I felt the earthquake.

To me, it felt like when the washer is off balance, and it starts shaking and banging like crazy then moving across the floor. Times 20.

WOW msmofet - that was really something!

I now remember another time - I was driving but when I went into Home Hardware everyone was yakking so excitedly about what had just happened. I was like... wha?? I felt nothing in the car.

Earthquakes happen everywhere. We get them in Texas, but those are due to all the fracking. A 4.8 shouldn't have done much in the way of damage, but it gives you something to talk about.

CD

casey???, isn't there a difference between fracking, which I thought caused 'sink holes' as the earth above collapses due to no support - and an earthquake which is caused by the tectonic plates moving and causing movement all the way up to the crust.

casey???, isn't there a difference between fracking, which I thought caused 'sink holes' as the earth above collapses due to no support - and an earthquake which is caused by the tectonic plates moving and causing movement all the way up to the crust.

Fracking is using liquids to remove petroleum from sedimentary rock, like shale. The fracking causes mild earthquakes, and a lot of them. But you are right, they are not the same as tectonic earthquakes. Fracking earthquakes are man made.

I am not aware of fracking causing sinkholes, but can't say they don't. Sinkholes seem to happen more due to removing water from the ground, than pumping water into the ground.

I mentioned fracking quakes because when they started happening in Texas and Oklahoma, people were kind of shocked at the experience. After a while, nobody talked about them anymore.

CD

Hmm.. I've never heard that and did not realize they replaced the oil with water. I thought they just drew out the oil leaving an underground cavern that may or may not be able to support itself.
I knew that there was more than one reason for sink holes but they seem to becoming more common - or perhaps just more reported on.

Hmm.. I've never heard that and did not realize they replaced the oil with water. I thought they just drew out the oil leaving an underground cavern that may or may not be able to support itself.
I knew that there was more than one reason for sink holes but they seem to becoming more common - or perhaps just more reported on.

Fracking uses a lot of water to basically force really low quality "oil" from soft rock, like shale. It is a very wasteful process, and it costs a lot of money. When world crude oil prices are low, it is barely profitable, and even a money loser. One of the reasons OPEC increases production or cuts prices is to make fracking unprofitable, so OPEC can flex its muscles, and show the rest of the world who is the boss when it comes to oil. When world oil prices are high, fracking is quite profitable.

It is a fascinating thing to do some research on. I was an art major in college, but my dad was in the oil industry, and retired as President and COO of a major oil company, so I learned more than I ever wanted to know about that business.

Sink holes tend to happen when we take more water out of the ground than nature can replace.

But, back on topic. Fracking earthquakes are man made, while what happened today in NJ was caused by one tectonic plate moving slightly faster than another, from what I've heard so far. 100 percent nature happening. For once, we humans had nothing to do with it. :ROFLMAO:

CD

Last edited:
The water casey was talking about that they use for fracking is injected into the ground at very high pressure in order to break the rocks that contain the oil, which, in some cases, can create enough pressure on tectonic plates to cause them to slip. That's how fracking can cause earthquakes.

Back
Top Bottom