Favorite Childhood food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
buckytom said:
thank you, jgdean, for dredging up an old thread, and thoughts of old members like chocolate chef. :) i hope she's well.

shamalicious, i woulda thought you'd say "ding dongs". ;)

No lol . Ive never even heard of ding dongs!! :LOL:

my dad would boil big fat hot dogs in a catchup sauce, i think it was
catchup, mustard and chedder, man they were good,

also hormel tamales, not sure why i really do not like them now but
my kids do.

cottage cheese with a bit of b-b-que sauce

white bread with melted chedder topped with mustard

fries from the snack bar at the pool. we were not allowed to get
them to much $$ but oh when my friends shared yummmyyyy

sweet and sour pork

creamed chipped beef over toast

a good hot open faced roast beef sandwich with gravy, mashed potatoes,
and pea's from a local diner

biscuts and gravy with chocolate milk

i think i could go on and on i am very hungry now

There should be two separate categories of answers to this question. Store bought Food and Home made Food.

In the first one I can safely say my all time favorite was sweet farmer’s cheese with raisins covered in dark chocolate.

For the second one it's almost impossible to come up with one. My grand mother and mother used make amassing things. My grandma's cooking was unbelievable. She's been gone for over 20 years, but I still can remember taste of some of her foods, that nobody has been able to reproduce.

The Z said:
I always loved my mom's tuna melt sammiches... She'd toast the buns first, then put a nice mix of tuna stuff in them along with some (mozerella?) cheese. Then she'd wrap em in foil and bake em. They were DEEEE-lish!

Z, my mom made something similar. We called them Seaburgers. She used cubed cheddar instead of mozz and I don't think she wrapped them to bake.

I tried to introduce this beloved family dish to my current family and they hated them.

Barbarians!

As I look back and think real hard, my all time favorite kid foods were in this order:
1. Pancakes with real Maple syrup
2. Home-made waffles with real Maple Syrup
3.Grilled Cheese sandwiches made with Velveeta
4. Poached eggs from my Grandpa's egg-poaching pan and the cups filled with butter before dropping in the egg, served on top of toast.
5. French Toast made with sugar and cinnamon in the egg mixture.
6. Any kind of pizza, even Chef Boyardee kits, as long as pepperoni slices were added.

I'll stop there. But I had to make pancakes number 1. My Dad made them with Aunt Jemima mix. They weren't as light and fluffy as I made them. I loved them anyway. I'd sit down and eat a stack of eight or so. My dad also lilked to fry up some breadfast sausage patties on the side, and spoon some of the sausage grease over top of the pancakes. Neither he, nor I have ever had problems with cholesterol. In fact, pork fat has less bad cholesterol than does real butter. Sometimes, dear-old Dad would add drained, canned corn to the batter. He'd then call them corn fritters.

Oh, and did I mention his goulash? This wasn't the true Hungarian dish, but rather was a combination of either elbo-macaroni, or rotini pasta, with a sauce that included ground beef, mushrooms, diced onion, tomato sauce, garlic, diced green peppers, and a bit of Itallian Spice mix. Of course I make my sauces with seperate herbs and spices. But I gotta tell ya. That goulash was some good stuff.

My Dad, could cook up a storm. The only thing he messed up was pork-chops. Like many in his generation, he believed in overcooking pork to kill any nasty microbes or parasites.

My Mom was an equally good cook, but did it so infrequently. But she couldn't make a steak tender to save her life. Other than that, she could cook anything.

My Grandpa, on my Dad's side, was a great cook as well. His specialty was cooking up a mess of pan-sized trout, or smelt, or whatever fish we had to fry up. But he was no slouch with a Thanksgiving dinner either.

Coming from such a family, I guess it was jsut a natural thing for me to start cooking at the tender age of about 7. My first dish, why pancakes of course. My teacher, my Dad.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

mudbug said:
I tried to introduce this beloved family dish to my current family and they hated them.

Barbarians!

LOL... yeah... Savages!

I might have to email Mom for her recipe. Knowing her, there's not much to it (she was never very adventurous).

As a small child...a ham sammich on toasted bread, with a glass of chocolate milk. 20 yeas later:ermm: a ham sandwich on toasted wheat is still one of my favorites.......Chocolate milk doesn't do much for me anymore

hostessfoods just announced that they will release twinkies with banana flavoured filling
it's been a loooooooooooooong time
lol
i used to like the snowballs with all that coconut on the outside

This is the coolest thread! It really took me back. I pretty much grew up on peanut butter sandwiches and bottomless glasses of milk. My mom was good at so many things but cooking wasn't one of them. Hence, food wasn't a big thing at our house. Just something you ate to stay alive. But there was one bright spot in the kitchen - banana pudding! When finances permitted, she'd make a big one using the Jello cooked vanilla pudding mix, never instant, Nilla Vanilla Wafers, and loads of bananas. We'd always end up eating it warm because no one could wait. It's still the number one comfort food for me and my kids now.

Icebox cake.

Bottom layer was graham crackers.
Next Layer was hot chocolate pudding.
Then, more graham crackers
Then fresh whipped cream
Graham crackers
Pudding
Graham crackers
Lots of whipped cream.

Let it sit from morning till night....as it cooled, the graham crackers softened. To this day, it's still a family favourite. Only difference is now I make it with sugar free, fat free cook and eat pudding, and sugar free, fat free cool whip.
It's not bad, but not the same......

chicken nugs

i can no longer eat them, but they used to be my love.
for some reason they now repulse me.

I just remembered something that my mother used to do (probably still does!) She would slice up hot dogs and potatoes, deep fry them and then shake them in a brown paper bag.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom