Favorite Hotdog Brand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hebrew national are very good. no ifs, ands, or butts. :cool:

since kosher dogs cannot be made from meat including the sciatic nerve, herbrew national invented an add campaign to show that "no butts", or rear half of the cow, were used in their dogs.
i've heard that some kosher butchers remove the nerve, thus making butt portions kosher. but it's an uncommon practice in the u.s..

that being said, thumanns, boars head, and skinless sabretts are also good.

i will eat a griddled or grilled dog if forced, but i prefer boiled. grilling/griddling concentrates the saltiness too much, imo.

my all time favourite was from my high school girlfriend's dad's kosher butchery, abeles and heymann kosher provisions: Abeles & Heymann

i haven't had one in years, so i don't know if they're still the same.

my second faves are the hot smoky bison dogs from here: Hendricks Farms and Dairy - HF&D Philosophies

they're best when boiled, then the skin peeled off.

I'm not a big hot dog guy, but if I buy them at the grocery store, I get Vienna Beef or Hebrew National. I've eaten Nathan's at Coney Island and loved them, but I can't get any here in Bradley, Illinois.

May be off subject but I had a bit of a treat today while out shopping I saw the Oskar
Meyer Weiner Mobile

Hey, guess what? I saw the Oscar Meyer Weiner car here in Bucerias the other day at our big new Mega supermarket. Hot dogs are very popular here, and the most popular brand is called "Fud" - really. But they chop them up, fry them with chiles and onions and eat them in a tortilla! Yum.

doesn't matter what the brand. First you NEED to read the ingredient list!!!!!

most hot dogs contain lots of garbage. :mad:

VIENNA

Boar's Head and Nathan's are my 2 favorites. I cook them in one of these. It toasts the buns at the same time. The only problem is, you can only cook 2 at a time, but other than that, I love the flavor.

Since posting this, I tried the Ballpark Angus hot dogs and they are my new favorites.

Wow, I had forgotten about a childhood favorite:
Sliced fried hot dog sandwiches!

Nathan's originally (according to legend) had a hard time selling dogs for 5 cents at Coney Island... people thought they were too cheap to be safe.
So Nathan dressed everyone in white, hired doctors to eat the dogs in their lab coats outside the stand, and called them "Sanitary"....
and the rest is history!

How about a good old Gwaltney? ;)

Boar's Head and Nathan's are my 2 favorites. I cook them in one of these. It toasts the buns at the same time. The only problem is, you can only cook 2 at a time, but other than that, I love the flavor.
Boar's Head natural casing (not the skinless) are pretty good. Fried, barbequed or simmered. A lot of frankfurter / kielbasa type sausages can be a bit salty and cooking in water (or beer?) can reduced the saltiness.

cookie

I don't eat them very often because they contain so much fat but "Best" Kosher hotdogs from Sam's Club are truly the best!

Ball Park Bun Size Smoked White Turkey Franks...only 45 calories each and delish!

Louis Rich

I apologize if this is redundant. We like Louis Rich, Bun-length. Now owned by Oscar Mayer. These are all Turkey, and I've never had a hot dog headache from eating them. They have an excellent taste & aren't too chubby. :chef:

Hot Diggity Dogger.

Nice.

I actually have a Waring hot dog machine, it has the little roller deals like you would see at a stadium. Does a really good job, but it's a complete novelty item.

For brands, I go with Hebrew National or BallPark Grillmaster Deli Style. I've heard good things about boars head, will try them next.

Since posting this, I tried the Ballpark Angus hot dogs and they are my new favorites.

I have never been an Oscar Meyer hot dog fan. But they actually have come out with a pretty tasty new dog. They call it a minimally processed hot dog. It contains no Sodium Nitrites or Sodium Nitrates and is pretty good tasting. I still like Cher-Made, Hebrew National, Vollwourth's, Wrath Blackhawk, and Best Kosher, as well as, and forgive the spelling if it's wrong, Koeble's (Now that I see it in print, I'm pretty sure it's wrong:LOL:). We don't have Nathan's around here and so I can't comment on that brand. Also, we have a little butcher shop, connected to a very small grocery store that makes their own hot dogs, in natural casings that is very good.

On the donwn side, I detest regular Oscar Meyer, Bar-S, Ball Park, and a few Canadian brands that I've tried. So that's my take on hot dogs.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I only buy turkey dogs, so my choices are limited. But I do agree with Pugger that the Louis Rich/Oscar Meyer "bun length" turkey dogs are good. But even better - when I can find them - are the new "smoked" turkey dogs (I think they call them sausages, but they're "dogs") from either Johnsonville or Hillshire - I don't remember which. VERY tasty.

:) Unfortunately I can not get local dogs it has been hard for me to find a dog I like but the Ball Park Angus Beef it's OK. I hate all main stream sausages so I buy online a good knack/knock wurst can make a good hotdog even if it's the wrong shape.
This is the latest site I buy sausage from quite good but still not what I have had in Germany.
Bavaria Sausage : Home Page

Being in Fl. I don't go outside to cook unless the temp goes down to about 60 degrees F so I broil (not boil) mine for about 15 - 16 minutes. They have just the right amount of char to em'. Boiling is against the law in this house.
Oh and I usually buy Ball Park Angus Beef!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom