Food you LOVED as a child but Hate now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmmm....

I hated cottage cheese and love it now. Actually, I never tried it but though it would taste like mayonase (sp) so I wouldn't try it.

I STILL hate all veggies but corn and raw carrots, and hate all condiments except ranch dressing and sour cream (if they are considered condiments).....

I hated any type of vegetable. Corn was what "I" considered my vegetable. My mom would try to hide vegetables into other dishes, but I was to clever. Now, I love them all... pretty much.

As an adult My fav. would be Squash... any way they can be made, baked, broiled, steamed, grilled, fried, saute'd, Stir fried, In dressings etc. "Have I left anythting out?"

I hated most cheese, fresh tomatos, mayo, and peppers.

I now enjoy many cheeses, though they are "safe" cheeses; I am slowly trying different varieties.

I starting to warm up to fresh tomatos, I don't hate them at all, but I'm not fond of them either. Combined with fresh basil and fresh mozzarella on focaccia is probably the easiest way to get me to eat them.

I LOVE peppers now, bells, chiles, all sorts! I can't get enough of them.

Still hate mayo... to me it's just nasty mystery white goop.

I completely hated cottage cheese, tapioca pudding and liver. My family likes to joke alot. They told my cottage cheese was milk they had left in a glass on the counter and then they poured it into the dish, and that tapioca pudding was fish eggs. As for the liver, not only could my mother not cook it to where it would taste good, I just hated it, I hated then, And I hate it now.

Interesting posts. I used to hate:
Spinach - love it now
Cauliflower - OK but nowhere near as good as spinach
Shoulder of lamb - too much chewing required
Spam (don't know if you have this in the States - ghastly pink processed cold meat stuff)
Eggs
Crab - once cleaned one with my mum. Decided for myself it was far too odd to be safe to eat.

Still don't like:
Shoulder of lamb
Spam
Boiled, fried and poached eggs - love omelettes, Spanish tortillas
Anything with more than four legs!

Once ate Winalot dog biscuits. Quite liked them but never got the opportunity to repeat the experience as the box was moved out of my reach. I can still remember the taste - kind of cardboardy and wet dog flavour. Surprising I liked them really!

kadesma said:
one day I opened up my grandma's refridgerator and low and behold staing me in the face was this huge Hogs head..I ran screeching from the kitchen..I wouldn't touch that stuff today for a million dollars:ROFLMAO:

I had the same experience on the very first day I moved to Andalucia, Spain... I ventured out to a local supermarket, it was just before Christmas and the place was jam packed, I was wading through the thick wall of people. At one point the crowd parted, and I found myself right in front of the meat counter... and just like Kadesma, I was face to face with a huge skinned whole pig head. It took an awful lot of time before I summoned up my courage either to eat pork, or to go to a Spanish supermarket....

as for the items in question, in my case

-Prawns/shrimps (I just shuddered at the sight of them... I don't know exactly where was the turning point, but I think it was something like popcorn shrimp, where you really don't see the shrimp themselves... then learned what I had been missing...)

-Asparaguses (My mum was never much of a cook, asparagus for her was always those white mush out of the tin. Thus while growing up, that was also my impression, and my opinion for that stuff was:yuk: !! Again, imagine my pleasant surprise at what I had been missing when I had the fresh green ones...)

-Spinach... also mainly mother's fault... she never cooked it to make it tasty... now I have variety of delicious recipes using spinach...

Last edited:
Spam is an INSTITUTION here in the States - lol!!! And there are now several different varieties, including Honey-Roasted & Turkey. Not to mention all the stuff you can buy with the Spam logo.

I have to admit to liking it, as it was a breakfast staple growing up in our house. And who could forget the Monty Python skit about it? In fact, my mom sent me a "collector's limited edition" can of Honey-Roasted Spam commemorating the Monty Python Broadway play.

Loved as a kid, don't like now: a lot of processed stuff like mac&cheese, some canned soups, etc. Now, to me, they simply taste like salt. Most candy bars -- they just taste like sugar. Kool-aid. Coke & Pepsi

Hated as a kid, like now: fish and seafood, especially that Catholic childhood staple of tuna caserole (I learned that what I was getting as a child was probably simply bad quality. Grocery stores have improved since then). Cottage cheese. Mineral and soda water.

When I was knee high to a Grass Hopper I loved Grilled Cheese. In fact it was the first thing I learned how to cook when I was a kid. I thought it was so great cooking and flipping the Grilled Cheese sandwiches that I would insist on making and eating them at least once a day. This continued on for quite a while.
Then one morning I looked at a Grilled Cheese sandwich I had made and discovered I was not looking forward to eating it anymore. I had lost interest in the Grilled Cheese sandwich. I still do not care for them by themselves anymore unless there is something else with the Grilled Cheese in the sandwich.
However I still love all kinds of Cheese. As for flipping I now flip jack flaps. I feel kinda Cheesy. ;^{)

Jello, any flavor--I ate so much of it as a kid that I gag whenever I try to eat it now.

I also would dip my potato chips in salt before eating them. Ugh! I still love chips but no extra salt!:rolleyes:

You'd think I'd hate peanut butter now, I ate so much of it then, but I still love it. Only difference is now I eat the natural kind.

Hm, I still love everything I used to love when I was a kid. As the matter of fact I wish I could get some of the things now.

this was a tough one for me. my love of food has only grown as i've gotten older. there isn't much i wouldn't still eat and enjoy if health weren't a factor.

i mean, i'd still love to eat a whole giant purple pixie stick, but i doubt a pound of colored sugar would be all that good for me.

however, the only thing i could come up with so far are twinkies. i had one recently, and was pretty disappointed with it. the cake wasn't moist buttery and sweet like i remember. it was sticky and kind of plastic tasting. the cream wasn't smooth and sugary, but rather tasted of some kind of extra light whipped imitation filling.
i guess i'll have to find some of the original recipe twinkies in an old bomb shelter in someone's back yard. i doubt they're past their expiration date yet...:)

Bucky, I know what you mean. The only childhood foods that I would not eat are the once that are made today under the same name, but do not taste anything like I remember.

Back
Top Bottom