Liver and onions anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I LOVE calf's liver. Although I don't usually cook it with onions. I prefer a fruity gastrique, especially cherries and almonds.

Growing up, we had it once a week with mashed potatoes and gravy.

We always served it with bacon. We cooked the onions and liver in the bacon fat and then used it to make a milk gravy.

I don’t eat it very often because it is difficult to find it in small packages.

We also had fried chicken livers or chicken liver pate from time to time.

Yeah, offal consumption in NA isn't very popular but the British generally get credit for it's popularity in Canada and considering my roots on my mothers side go back to Welch and Scottish heritage it was popular in our house and I do love a well prepared liver and onions. Unfortunately my mother wasn't a very good cook and overcooked every piece of meat she came into contact with, which is death for liver and onions, My grandmother is another story and made it perfectly. Medium rare is about as far as you should go, imo.

My father loved liver and onions but my mother never made it. When I was his caregiver I would make it for him. My secret was soaking the liver in milk overnight to get rid of the gamey taste. Because neither of us could eat onions without consequences, I would fry the onions, remove them with a skimmer, then fry the liver in the same oil. I served it with pickled beets, which he also loved but my mother never made for him.

Love liver and onions. Beef liver and chicken livers are my favorites. Not a fan of calf's liver. I found it to be not 'livery' enough.

Deep fried chicken livers are delicious.

Okay, for a differing opinion. I hate it. It has an irony taste that lingers on the tongue.

My dad loved it, which means my sister and I had to eat it. My mom made everything my dad liked, and we kids were expected to eat every bite on our plates.

CD

I portion out my chicken livers and freeze them. I can't eat them all in one shot either.
I would do that, but, of the stores that I use for delivery, only Lufa, the produce basket place even sells chicken livers. The frozen package has around a pound of chicken livers. I'm sure the texture would suffer a lot if I defrosted and refroze the chicken livers that I wouldn't use right away.

I would do that, but, of the stores that I use for delivery, only Lufa, the produce basket place even sells chicken livers. The frozen package has around a pound of chicken livers. I'm sure the texture would suffer a lot if I defrosted and refroze the chicken livers that I wouldn't use right away.
That's possible, but I've actually thawed, portioned and refroze chicken livers before and it didn't affect them too much. You could maybe try it sometime and see for yourself if you like the texture of them or not.

Liver and kidneys are on the "NEVER EAT" list of my life.

My father loved them and mom made it for him (she ate it too) but I honestly don't remember any of my siblings eating it. Although it smelled divine, that was only the onions! Liver itself made me gag. To this day I can eat only liverwurst and even then in small quantities. Liver pate, well, been known to devour quite a bit. But that's it.

Should be banned........... JMHO

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom