Going MIA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cloud back ups are a great idea. I have a Mac and do automatic backups to my iCloud account. I pay $0.99/mo. and that meets my needs. I also back up to an external hard drive once a week. I've lost two hard drives over the years and don't want to deal with the loss of files again.

Just a thought - I started using an online backup service a few years ago so I wouldn't have to worry about this problem anymore. It automatically backs up every file on my computer and designated attached devices every time they change. It's really nice not having to even think about the possibility of losing anything ever again. It's called Carbonite and I pay $50 a year. Cheap price for the peace of mind.

Thanks, GG, I really appreciate that. TB set up a backup system years ago for us and it was working really well. Our C drives would back up every night to our D drives and once a week to an external drive (it is actually called a purple drive which was okay by me!). Anyway, when I had my virus awhile back he reinstalled everything but forgot one minor detail - the script that ran the nightly backup! Now everything is back on track and we have been monitoring things to make sure nothing goes wrong. If it does, I am definitely going to look into this. Cheap and less chance for divorce! (just kidding, that would only happen if he lost 2 months worth of data :angel:)

Thanks, GG, I really appreciate that. TB set up a backup system years ago for us and it was working really well. Our C drives would back up every night to our D drives and once a week to an external drive (it is actually called a purple drive which was okay by me!). Anyway, when I had my virus awhile back he reinstalled everything but forgot one minor detail - the script that ran the nightly backup! Now everything is back on track and we have been monitoring things to make sure nothing goes wrong. If it does, I am definitely going to look into this. Cheap and less chance for divorce! (just kidding, that would only happen if he lost 2 months worth of data :angel:)

It's always the one little detail that causes all the problems grrrr :LOL: Glad you're back on track. Hope your data loss was minimal.

Well, it's official. I'm a property owner. Closing is on the 19th of June and I will be moving from where I'm currently at on July 31.

With luck, I'll have enough money to get the property recleared and get an outside water faucet put up. Having water means I can probably live out of my car on the property sort of under the radar. I'm doing that because I can save more money faster than if I stay here and pay rent. Next year I should be able to get the electric onto the lot and maybe buy a small trailer. The year after that I should be able to get a septic system put in.

So I'll be living in my car for at least the first year and possibly the second year (although I hope not that long). I won't have electricity or a computer, so it'll be a while till I can get back here. I do plan to get into the library occasionally, so I can get on the computers there.

So if I don't get back here again before I leave, you guys stay cool and keep cookin'. See ya!

Nice to see you back, RR, and thank you for the update! I was a little worried about you. Check back when you can, and enjoy your new status as a property owner with little to go on for now...you sound like a tough cookie with the determination to make it work. :)

Congrats! RodentR! Hang in there - you got it!

GG - Thank you for the link to Carbonite. Got it! I don't worry about my recipes nor photos anymore!

I have had so many backup systems - and just never seemed to use them on a consistent basis... so just plain not worth it eh? Now - I don't worry - at least til my first new crash... LOL and then... check your door before you answer! LOL

Thanks again!

Congrats! RodentR! Hang in there - you got it!

GG - Thank you for the link to Carbonite. Got it! I don't worry about my recipes nor photos anymore!

I have had so many backup systems - and just never seemed to use them on a consistent basis... so just plain not worth it eh? Now - I don't worry - at least til my first new crash... LOL and then... check your door before you answer! LOL

Thanks again!

But, I even have a sign that says, "Here there be Dragons", I think you are Welcome here...:whistling

Well, it's official. I'm a property owner. Closing is on the 19th of June and I will be moving from where I'm currently at on July 31...So if I don't get back here again before I leave, you guys stay cool and keep cookin'. See ya!
Hey, rr, I've been thinking about you, too. Almost sent a PM within the last couple of weeks, but then I'd forget and log off. Senior Moments! Good luck to you, stop by when you can, and remember: you can always cook dinner on the engine of your car.

Just popping in to say Hi. It has been a very eventful time to say the least. I am just waiting for the official word from the doctor (I see her in the morning) but I am now a diabetic (type 2). I am taking it well because I was always pretty sure it would happen. It is on both sides of my family and with my affinity for sugar (looks like I will be staying away from cake making at least for awhile), it was expected. Thankfully I am already eating healthy and exercising so that stands me in good stead. The doctor will decide tomorrow whether I have to go on medication or do it with diet for now.

I also have more liver damage no thanks to the butcher who took out my gallbladder. He did a lot of internal damage and I have had 3 surgeries since trying to fix it all. Again, my doctor and I will talk about it tomorrow.

My work as an advocate for chronic illness is moving ahead slowly but I think that is a good thing. On the 14th I start classes to become a group leader for people who are coming to terms with their chronic condition(s). It is a volunteer position but it helps with the group that is hiring me as it shows that I motivated to help others. I have 2 product reviews and 3 book reviews on the go right now and several people wanting to do interviews for their blogs or have me write a guest post.

I am not trying to toot my own horn here. I am actually very humbled by all the attention I am getting.

Maybe I have to give up cake (not baking in general, that will never happen), but I have a new and exciting direction!

I miss you all so much and really miss the dinner threads. Oh yeah, that reminds me - has anyone heard of Thermo Mix? I got one last weekend and love it. If you haven't heard of it Google it. It is really expensive but does most of the work for you and I have made some amazing meals. I don't always have the energy to cook these days but with this I am making full meals again!

Lydia!

Hi, Chaps (including Chapesses, of course)

I am finally back in the land of the living (ie I've got home on-line again at last). No more traipsing to the public library to use their terminals. The downside is that I have to sit on a hard chair in the front hall as it's the only place I can plug everything in at the moment and I haven't got Broadband sorted yet. Different provider and I discovered too late that they are useless. (Note to self: ask friends' advice before choosing the cheapest deal!!!).

Hope everyone is fit and healthy and enjoying cooking.

THERE you are, MC! Good to hear from you. I wanted to send you a quick note, but it seems you don't have PMs enabled. Oh well, glad to hear you're fine. Good luck setting yourself up for full speed ahead on the internet!

I am finally back in the land of the living (ie I've got home on-line again at last). No more traipsing to the public library to use their terminals. The downside is that I have to sit on a hard chair in the front hall as it's the only place I can plug everything in at the moment and I haven't got Broadband sorted yet. Different provider and I discovered too late that they are useless. (Note to self: ask friends' advice before choosing the cheapest deal!!!).

Hope everyone is fit and healthy and enjoying cooking.

There you are, so good to see you again.

Can anyone tell me about Addie? I've hunted around a bit and can't find any comments from her for a long time.
She posted a bunch a week ago. I would share a search, but it just says "no matches" when it's not me looking at the results. Go to her profile and look at her "statistics" tab. There will be a link for all of her posts. Here's a link to her profile: Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums - View Profile: Addie

Well, I had the surgery and was so surprise to find that my doctor didn't just clean out all the slough, but put a graft of skin on the open wound also. That means I will heal a lot faster than expected. A whole lot more than I was expected. Will I be able to get out of this wheelchair? That remains to be seen. If so I will require a lot of rehab work. That is the left leg.

The right leg should be completely healed with all new skin my own body made in about two/three weeks.

Thanks for asking about me Mad Cow. I am on so many strong meds for the pain, that I spend most of my time sleeping. Sometimes days go by and except for taking care of body needs, I seem to be rooted to the bed. Right now I am going to an appointment every day. And it tires me out. Get loaded into the van, belted in, drive into the city, unload me from the van, push myself into the building, take the elevator to the floor, check in, wait to be called. and then transfer from my wheelchair to their examining equipment. And it takes all my energy to do the transfer. Why can't they just bend down and look at my leg while I am in the chair? Then its time to reverse the whole procedure. I have been doing this way too long. At least I am no longer under the care of my PCP. He had no idea of how to treat my legs and had to admit it.

Well, I had the surgery and was so surprise to find that my doctor didn't just clean out all the slough, but put a graft of skin on the open wound also. That means I will heal a lot faster than expected. A whole lot more than I was expected. Will I be able to get out of this wheelchair? That remains to be seen. If so I will require a lot of rehab work. That is the left leg.

The right leg should be completely healed with all new skin my own body made in about two/three weeks.

Thanks for asking about me Mad Cow. I am on so many strong meds for the pain, that I spend most of my time sleeping. Sometimes days go by and except for taking care of body needs, I seem to be rooted to the bed. Right now I am going to an appointment every day. And it tires me out. Get loaded into the van, belted in, drive into the city, unload me from the van, push myself into the building, take the elevator to the floor, check in, wait to be called. and then transfer from my wheelchair to their examining equipment. And it takes all my energy to do the transfer. Why can't they just bend down and look at my leg while I am in the chair? Then its time to reverse the whole procedure. I have been doing this way too long. At least I am no longer under the care of my PCP. He had no idea of how to treat my legs and had to admit it.
Great to hear from you, Addie. What a performance getting to the department you need. In British hospitals the much maligned "Health and Safety" laws now mean that you have to have a member of staff to wheel you and your chair round the hospital if you are not "walking wounded". I'm surprised they don't have the same rules in US hospitals.

I hope the legs continue to improve and that you are hopping around on both in a few weeks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom