How about foods you've tried once or twice that you'll never eat again.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:mrgreen: l use the powder curry and have done for years - curry pastes are only just a fairly recent product. But I have also used them and I like both. I guess it's depends on how it's being used and especially what you are used to.

Curry powder, that's one that is reverse for me. I used to get nauseous, even smelling curry powder. Then, we figured out, through a lot of trial and error and freshly ground spices, that it was fenugreek that was making the smell I can't tolerate. It's not just fenugreek; it's specifically stale fenugreek. Well, I think that curry powder bottles at the supermarkets aren't as old and stale as they used to be, because I seldom come across that smell anymore. I still prefer to use a curry paste or make a massala.
I remember early on, there are were a bunch of curry powders I didn't like; though I don't know what it was in them that made, it may have been fenugreek, as it was something "sweet" in that Madras curry powder, and others, that I didn't like (and that wasn't cinnamon, in the curry powders, I didn't like). But there were some I liked, that had a totally different flavor, and ingredients. And something that I noticed, so a lot of people must not like the flavor of fenugreek, was that a number of those Indian blogs, I find a bunch of those good masalas in, mention in some of the recipes calling for fenugreek as an option, and to leave it out, if you don't like it. It doesn't bother me toasted, in the dishes I put it in, but maybe it was that "stale" fenugreek, you mentioned from way back.

I don't think anyone goes to the effort of importing the cheap stuff. ;) If we wanted nasty tasting wholewheat pasta, we could just buy the stuff made here. I will admit, that Catelli makes acceptable wholewheat pasta now. It's not as good as the Italian stuff, but it is, in my opinion, better than the white pasta made on the west side of the Atlantic.

I have no idea what it is they do to make it taste nasty. I learned to make pasta by hand in Denmark in the early 1970s. I learned it from a New York-Italian lady. When I moved to Montreal, for years, I always made my own lasagna noodles, with wholewheat flour. That always just tasted fine. Other pasta is more of a nuisance by hand, unless you get a pasta roller. I lusted after one of those for about 25 years before I could afford one. For some reason, the price just didn't seem to go up, even with inflation. It would have taken longer to afford one otherwise.

It's the quality of the grain that makes all the difference and of course, the process used to turn it into flour and then into pasta. I don't want to sound offensive, but when we buy here pasta made from Italian grain, the taste is so much better than the others from other countries, but we can't buy it too often, it's so much more expensive! It costs our state less to import low quality grain (from unspecified places) then to use our own!

Right, I understand. There's 1.2 billion people is India and I'll bet no two curry powder are the same, and for the life of me that commercial yellow curry powder hasn't changed in 50 years and it's probably the worst option and tasting curry to be indoctrinated into Indian cuisine. :giggle:

It was the smell that put me off, even more! My mum cooked it once when we lived in London, she and my dad loved it, I just couldn't eat it, I told her never to make it again, she didn't!
I thought the original recipe was with curry powder, well, at least that's what they used in the UK, thirty years ago. 🤔.!! The Brits were crazy about it.

There are lots and lots of different type of curries.
Maybe give Thai curries a try. Totally different from the Indian ones (except maybe mussaman curry)
And the UK has it's own version of Indian food. They tend to call it something like British Indian Restaurant curry. A whole different beast again

Now I'll eat a raw carrot once in a while and I like that. But I hate carrot shavings (and cabbage) in salads and I absolutely hate cooked carrots. Once McDonald's started putting carrots instead of cheese in their salads was the day I quit eating them. Too much trouble to pull out. LOL But the same with the beef flavor Rice-a-Roni. Once they added carrots to it, I never ate it again.

Okra, it's the only thing I really don't want to eat ever again. The texture was slimy (I later learned that that's because it wasn't cooked right) but it tasted so strongly of ammonia that the idea of it still repels me. Maybe that I will once try it again if it's made by someone who's culture uses okra frequently, but such people aren't easy to find in the Netherlands so for now I'll pass.

It was the smell that put me off, even more! My mum cooked it once when we lived in London, she and my dad loved it, I just couldn't eat it, I told her never to make it again, she didn't!
I thought the original recipe was with curry powder, well, at least that's what they used in the UK, thirty years ago. 🤔.!! The Brits were crazy about it.
Smell is a funny thing. Personally I like the smell of skunk and equate it to natures perfume, and I have found a few people that have that same opinion. Curry is aggressive, pungent and polar in it's effect for first time encounters, no doubt about it. Most people that won't eat curry is primarily because they loath the smell. Some cheeses have that same effect, it assaults the olfactory glands initially, and I say initially because many people overcome that by trying different types of those offensive cheeses and learn to not only like them, but embrace them, maybe give Indian foods another try. :giggle:

Last edited:
Smell is a funny thing. Personally I like the smell of skunk and equate it to natures perfume, and I have found a few people that have that same opinion. Curry is aggressive, pungent and polar in it's effect for first time encounters, no doubt about it. Most people that won't eat curry is primarily because they loath the smell. Some cheeses have that same effect, it assaults the olfactory glands initially, and I say initially because many people overcome that by trying different types of those offensive cheeses and learn to not only like them, but embrace them, maybe give Indian foods another try. :giggle:

Unfortunately, I don't really have much chance of trying out different "cuisines". I live in a small village far from the city, where all the international restaurants are.

A bit off topic, but I use a lot of SE Asian condiments. Then I had a friend visiting who opened all of them and started sniffing them, before I could warn him. He was not impressed, to say the least (there was fish sauce, shrimp paste, chili bean paste etc) :)

A bit off topic, but I use a lot of SE Asian condiments. Then I had a friend visiting who opened all of them and started sniffing them, before I could warn him. He was not impressed, to say the least (there was fish sauce, shrimp paste, chili bean paste etc) :)
Trassi is notorious for that, but I love the smell through association with great food. Same for Durian to be honest.

Haha, yeah well, shrimp paste isn't exactly nose friendly, lol. I also have a cupboard full of such ingredients and PadThai is still one of the favorites of my friends, but if they had the opportunity to smell dried shrimp and fish sauce I bet a few would have been doubtful they would like it. Might be a good experiment though.

Cooked salmon. I won't eat it and if pushed to try some dish, I would taste a teaspoonful. It's horrid. I was once in a fairly upscale resto that had "fire kissed salmon tartar" as one of the choices of appetizer. Well, I like uncooked salmon fine, so I asked about it. It was supposedly a light enough fire kissing with a kitchen torch that it shouldn't be a problem. It was a problem. I scraped off the fire kissed exterior. It was still horrid. The inside had been contaminated with that horrid flavor of cooked salmon. At least it didn't go to waste. My sister enjoyed it, but she likes cooked salmon too.

Cooked salmon. I won't eat it and if pushed to try some dish, I would taste a teaspoonful. It's horrid. I was once in a fairly upscale resto that had "fire kissed salmon tartar" as one of the choices of appetizer. Well, I like uncooked salmon fine, so I asked about it. It was supposedly a light enough fire kissing with a kitchen torch that it shouldn't be a problem. It was a problem. I scraped off the fire kissed exterior. It was still horrid. The inside had been contaminated with that horrid flavor of cooked salmon. At least it didn't go to waste. My sister enjoyed it, but she likes cooked salmon too.
I'm not crazy about cooked salmon either. Although I do love salmon patties (made from canned). Especially with pea sauce.

I'm not crazy about cooked salmon either. Although I do love salmon patties (made from canned). Especially with pea sauce.
I find salmon probably the most versatile food for cooking, you can do just about anything with it and get great results, except over cooking it. My preference is wild coho.

When I didn't fillet salmon myself I would get salmon frames including the heads to make stock. I would roast all the frames first and then before putting them in a stock pot I would remove the cheeks and the connective tissue and muscle behind the eyes, which was a lot relatively speaking and make a staff meal out of them which was always with pasta.

Last edited:
I find salmon probably the most versatile food for cooking, you can do just about anything with it and get great results, except over cooking it. My preference is wild coho.

When I didn't fillet salmon myself I would get salmon frames including the heads to make stock. I would roast all the frames first and then before putting them in a stock pot I would remove the cheeks and the connective tissue and muscle behind the eyes, which was a lot relatively speaking and make a staff meal out of them which was always with pasta.
Sounds very interesting, but it just doesn't appeal to me.

I love fish, like monkfish, grouper, cod, orange roughy and I also love seared tuna steaks cooked medium-rare. But the salmon thing, I just don't know - I've tried to like it, but it's too 'fishy' for me.

There's one fish I've always wanted to try and that's Chilean sea bass. I've heard it's exquisite.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom