How do you bake a potato?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
This subject is an extension of another thread, so thought it best to start a new one.

This is what I said, and I'll expand.

When SC and I married he would cut a thin sliver off of each end of the potato before baking. He said his late wife did it that way but he never asked why and she has nobody surviving to ask.
Since then, I've always cut off the pointy potato ends and I'm convinced it actually improves the baked potato. I assume it's the moisture venting out through the ends.
Anyway, give it a try and see what you all think.

I put the two prepared potatoes in the Mic for 3 min. and transfer to the toaster oven set at 400 degrees for 30 min to pass the squish test with a hot pad. Then I gently squeeze the potato all over with two hot pads, and it's ready to cut open and dress. Perfect every time.

What do you do?

When potatoes are forming before being harvested, some of them depending on how fast they grow, get hollow areas, those will explode due to heat and moisture. Sometimes potatoes can be grown in very wet conditions, they will also explode, so people will knife them or fork them, to let off the steam. I've even had potatoes 'explode' when boiled in water. This condition is more prevalent in the fall, and as potatoes dry out, they don't explode as much in the spring.

Either I knife them or fork them, then 8 minutes turning half way through in the microwave, OR bake them for 45-60 minutes in the oven.

Set oven to convection roast 450F. I scrub them then cut them in half (across long ways end to end). I have roasted/baked to many potatoes that were rotten in the middle, now I know if the middle is good before it's baked. Depending on the size they cook 15 - 25 minutes or till soft in center/210F internal temperature.

I like a nice crispy skin all over.

Wash stab bake at 400F to an internal temp. of 210F. Rub with oil before baking if you want crispy skin.

About the same as others have mentioned above.

My mother used to drive a 60D bright steel common nail into the potato lengthwise. She felt that the nail helped to cook the potato faster and more evenly, I've never bothered.
Commo_thumb.jpg

Here's a link to a hot off the press ATK video on baked potatoes (skip ahead to 13:20). I'm going to give this a try the next time I make them (as I've been doing it all wrong!).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBe6xEPi42k

Whoaaaa...that was really interesting Ten! I'm going to try that method too, but I'll still cut the ends off of them. ;) I'll skip the goat cheese thing though..can't stand the stuff!

My mother used to drive a 60D bright steel common nail into the potato lengthwise. She felt that the nail helped to cook the potato faster and more evenly, I've never bothered.
Commo_thumb.jpg
Your mother was such a man. I admire women like that. She nailed it.:LOL:

I start with a jumbo russet, poke holes in it with a skewer (very important step -- BOOM), insert a temperature probe and bake at 350 until I read and internal temperature of 210F. Perfect every time.

I've rubbed the taters with oil before, but didn't notice a big difference, so I don't bother anymore.

CD

Commo_thumb.jpg

You used to be able to buy baked potato nails made of aluminum.

My mother had those aluminum ones. I really believe that they did have a function, especially on larger potatoes.

I always prick them several times with a fork after washing. I usually bake them at 425°-450° F, and no microwave. I've never oiled or salted them first, but I may give that try, as I always eat skin and all.

I scrub, dry, poke, and bake them in the toaster oven. I use the regular oven if there's something else in there at the same time. I've never used a temp probe, I just figure around an hour at 375-400 for a couple of large baked 'taters works....when a knife goes through them easily.

Speaking of the nail thing...back several decades ago, my mom used to use one of these gadgets...

baked potato stand.jpg :)

Last edited:
My Mom had/used one of those too, Cheryl. I got rid of it when I was cleaning the house out. It always looked like an odd medieval torture device to me. :ermm:

I scrub, dry, poke, and bake them in the toaster oven. I use the regular oven if there's something else in there at the same time. I've never used a temp probe, I just figure around an hour at 375-400 for a couple of large baked 'taters works....when a knife goes through them easily.

Speaking of the nail thing...back several decades ago, my mom used to use one of these gadgets...

View attachment 29317 :)

My MIL used to have something similar, bigger though, it had spikes for about 8 potatoes. I liked that device a lot. I think that was the best way to bake potato.
Now days I simply wash potato, poke with a fork and bake at 400 deg, until it is ready. Time depends on the size of potato.

View attachment 29317 :)

I have one of those. Forgot what ot was for. :wacko:

We do as K-L does: nuke a few minutes, then into the toaster over, or if the oven oven is crankin, in there. I like to rub with grapeseed oil, then roll in large crystal sea salt as well.

If time permits, we mix a pinch or two of dried herbs de provence into sour cream beforehand, then top the baked spuds with it.

Btw, nothing beats a pre-nuked, oiled and salted big spud that is then wrapped in foil, and finished in the raked out coals of a campfire.

I coat with some olive oil, sprinkle coarse Kosher salt on, wrap it in aluminum foil, cook at 400F for an hour or so. No need to bring the oven up to temp.

Occasionally, I like to make a meal out of a giant russet potato. Chopped green onions, bacon bits, shredded cheese, sour creme. (What else?) Halfway thru, I go back to the kitchen and add more fixins. I won't prepare this meal without sour creme. :yum:

I've determined that spiking a potato with metal to make it cook better is more clean up trouble than it's worth.

I'll microwave a potato if I want it pronto with a meal. It doesn't turn out nearly as good.

Last edited:
I've determined that spiking a potato with metal to make it cook better is more clean up trouble than it's worth.

You're not supposed to use a nail you pulled out from under a kitchen shelf, Cas.

:cool:

just kidding...

Back
Top Bottom