How to cook frozen lasagna?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marygio

Assistant Cook
when reheating a frozen homemade lasagna. Should you defrost first and then cook? Or just put in oven and cook?

You can do it either way, but I prefer to thaw it first overnight in the refrigerator. Heating it from frozen takes much longer, especially in the center. Depending on how thick it is, it should take about 35-45 minutes at 350 F from thawed. Keep it covered until the last 10 minutes or so for browning.

Last edited:
I agree. You will end up with an inferior product if you reheat it from frozen. While the center is still frozen, the edges will be drying out.

I would at least let it partially thaw before sticking it in the oven. If the portion is small enough and in a glass container you might defrost it in the microwave using the defrost setting.

I'd thaw it completely. If you try to reheat it with the center frozen, it will overheat the outside without cooking the inside.

Well, I disagree :) I make two 8×8-inch pans of lasagna, then eat one and freeze one. When I cook the second one, I put it in the cold oven, turn it on, and let the lasagna heat up with the oven. It usually takes about 90 minutes to defrost and bake.

I'm with GG. If I thaw it first, it tends to get mushy. I'd rather plan the longer time and still have good lasagna. I do make saucy lasagna though so that might make a difference. If your lasagna is drier, you might get away with thawing overnight then baking.

You can do it either way, but I prefer to thaw it first overnight in the refrigerator. Heating it from frozen takes much longer, especially in the center. Depending on how thick it is, it should take about 35-45 minutes at 350 F from thawed. Keep it covered until the last 10 minutes or so for browning.
Exactly what I was about to say.

Thank you, I started it on warm and eventually cooked on regular temp. Turned out ok

Sent from my BNTV400 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

When I first started freezing lasagna,
the first one I thawed and it came out very watery and soupy.
The next time I did it I didn't cook the noodles, came out ok little chewy, little dry
So third time a charm, I partially cooked the noodles and thawed before cooking and came out perfect.
With just the hubbie and me now, I make my lasagna in the loaf pan now and make 2. for the that I put in freezer I lined the loaf pan with plastic wrap then make the lasagna freezer it - once frozen I remove it from the pan - remove plastic wrap and place in a zip lock bag. That frees up my loaf pan for other stuff. Then when ready just take the brick of lasagna and place back into the loaf pan to thaw.

Back
Top Bottom