Hump day dinner, Wednesday, August 30, 2023

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Mexican meatball tacos. The meatballs have a puree of roasted poblanos, onions and garlic among other things. A salsa made of roasted tomatoes, onions, garlic, and chipotle. Avocado spread. Cotija cheese. Chipotle mayo. Pickled red onions. Cilantro.

20230830_172634.jpg

I made stuffed shells but this time, along with the ricotta, Parmesan, cheddar, and mozzarella cheese, I decided, for who knows what incredibly stupid reason, to add sliced olives to the mix. Now I like olives and mushrooms on combo pizzas and I only used olives because I had two cans of those and one of mushrooms. I figured it would be pretty tasty.

So now I'm eating stuffed shells and picking out the olives. I can taste them in the shells and they taste awful.

I saw the moon last night, blissful. It was gorgeous and I looked at it for a while because the night before we had thunderstorms and it's supposed to rain again tonight. If anyone would like to know when it's going to rain in the PNW, just look at an astronomical calendar. Any meteor shower, eclipse, or other night sky event means it will cloud up and rain on that night.

I tried a new Danish-Italian fusion recipe: Pasta with blue cheese, bacon, and pears. We liked it. I will be tweaking and it's definitely worth finding out if pancetta would have been better than bacon and maybe even seeing if Gorgonzola would be better. There were also walnuts. They were great for the texture they added, but we didn't think the flavour worked with the blue cheese. I'm still having issues with the camera on my phone.

Pasta with blue cheese, pears, and bacon in the pot.jpg
Pasta with blue cheese, pears, and bacon.jpg

@blissful ’s breakfast hash caught my eye.

My version was one large potato, 3 medium Baby Bella mushrooms and half an onion cut into 1/4 inch dice and tossed with a tablespoon of oil,

I seasoned it with cayenne, paprika, garlic powder, and S&P.

Roasted at 400f for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.

🐷🐷🐷

This fridge hash, with variations, deserves a regular spot on the fall/winter dinner rotation.

I tried a new Danish-Italian fusion recipe: Pasta with blue cheese, bacon, and pears. We liked it. I will be tweaking and it's definitely worth finding out if pancetta would have been better than bacon and maybe even seeing if Gorgonzola would be better. There were also walnuts. They were great for the texture they added, but we didn't think the flavour worked with the blue cheese. I'm still having issues with the camera on my phone.

View attachment 65780View attachment 65781
Pecans (regular or candied) work well with blue cheese in a salad.
I sometimes get the Wendy's salad with grilled chicken, apples, pecans, dried cranberries and blue cheese. It has a pomegranate dressing.

View attachment 65780View attachment 65781
Gorgonzola, pears and pancetta are a great combo. I had them once on a restaurant in a little "purse" pasta. I will sub pecans as MsMofet noted.

Walnuts and blue cheese are often paired, but I don't really like walnuts and avoid them for the most part.

Gorgonzola, pears and pancetta are a great combo. I had them once on a restaurant in a little "purse" pasta. I will sub pecans as MsMofet noted.

Walnuts and blue cheese are often paired, but I don't really like walnuts and avoid them for the most part.
The walnut skins are bitter and a PITA to remove. I sub pecans wherever walnuts are called for. Candied pecans are really good in salads.

I was wondering if pecans would work. I'll probably give those a try next time. I was thinking of trying with pumpkin seeds.

Msmofet, I have rubbed skins off of walnuts before, but it's been a very long time and I don't remember the details. Would you please remind me how one goes about doing it. IIRC, it was a PITA.

While more expensive, I much prefer pecans. No bitter skins, nice and meaty almost creamy.
My sister used to put walnuts in brownies all the time. Put me off brownies for years as I couldn't stand hitting one of those bitter things. Any cookies with nuts were avoided also - could not not associate them with walnuts. I think their popularity came strictly from price and availability. I'm a little more tolerant of them now - but will still sub pecans when I can.

taxy, it seems to me you can purchase walnuts skinless, no? Am I mistaken?

Back
Top Bottom