Hump day dinner, Wednesday, August 30, 2023

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would certainly use pecans if you want to avoid the bitterness of walnuts.
But my favourite nut is cashew. I wonder if they might work in your recipe?
Here Down Under they are considerably expensive, so there are a few reasons they might not be suitable for you?

I would certainly use pecans if you want to avoid the bitterness of walnuts.
But my favourite nut is cashew. I wonder if they might work in your recipe?
Here Down Under they are considerably expensive, so there are a few reasons they might not be suitable for you?
While I really love cashews, I am conflicted about buying them until I find a source that seems to treat their workers well. The processing of cashews has to be mostly manual labour. The shells contain substances that cause contact dermatitis similar to poison ivy. Prolonged or repeated exposure can cause serious problems. Until they are willing to issue the workers protective equipment and not penalize them for working more slowly to avoid injury, I am uncomfortable buying cashews. I figure the ones harvested by workers who are protected, will be even more expensive.

Interesting to know. I haven’t heard of this, and like many others, am a bit blind when it comes to this kind of thing.
Thanks for sharing, Taxy!

Interesting to know. I haven’t heard of this, and like many others, am a bit blind when it comes to this kind of thing.
Thanks for sharing, Taxy!
It's really hard to keep up on what foods or other products are produced under conditions that are inhumane, environmentally terrible, or otherwise dubious. Somehow or other, I came across a video of women in India processing cashews. They had horrible scars on their hands, both from the contact dermatitis and knife scars from working too fast, so they could earn a decent wage based on piecework. But, it's not a simple "don't buy it". What are those women going to do to feed their families if no one buys cashews? Hopefully, the companies they work for would improve their working conditions, but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:
But, it's not a simple "don't buy it". What are those women going to do to feed their families if no one buys cashews?
This is the conundrum of exploring these kinds of issues.
Some years ago, I did a deep dive study about coffee production. It was massively eye opening and since then I support Fair Trade products and principles. It’s not perfect, but it’s much better for the cultivators in terms of receiving a decent price for their work.
Likewise, here in Australia there are major problems with the price of milk. In our country, there are two major supermarkets that have the monopoly on the market. They have aggressively moved into store brand items at lower prices. Many consumers are unaware that these products are made by the same manufacturer as the more expensive brands.
The companies have to sell their products to the conglomerate at wildly unfair prices. They literally have no other choice.
I deeply wish these two mega-million companies would simply do the right thing and pay a few cents more to our dairy farmers (and other farmers and manufacturers across the board) but they won’t.
They continue to squeeze wholesale prices down until these companies are on their knees, barely making enough money to sustain their business.
With our cost of living crisis being one of the biggest challenges facing consumers, people simply cannot afford to seek out the smaller, more artisan brands due to cost.
I don’t have the answers to these problems, but I always apply my concerns to my shopping. Luckily, I am able to buy groceries from more discerning retailers. I pay the price, but my products in the pantry and the fridge are quality and we can definitely taste the difference in my dishes. 🫠
Apologies for the long rant!

@Jade Emperor at least Fair Trade seems like a good idea. It shows producers that there is a way to be fair and still make a profit. I like that it encourages fair payment to and treatment of the workers. I think it is a model that is not too difficult for companies to join, whether they GAF about the workers or not.

Mexican meatball tacos. The meatballs have a puree of roasted poblanos, onions and garlic among other things. A salsa made of roasted tomatoes, onions, garlic, and chipotle. Avocado spread. Cotija cheese. Chipotle mayo. Pickled red onions. Cilantro.

View attachment 65778
I love to use cotija cheese but I need to know how to store it. I apologize if this isnt the right place to ask this.

I love to use cotija cheese but I need to know how to store it. I apologize if this isnt the right place to ask this.
Short term, the refrigerator in a sealed bag after opening. Long term, in the freezer in a sealed bag, though it won't be quite the same texture after thawing, but still acceptable.

Medtran gave you better advice than I could have.

In the future you could just start a new thread. It makes for interesting conversation to have different input on things!

Short term, the refrigerator in a sealed bag after opening. Long term, in the freezer in a sealed bag, though it won't be quite the same texture after thawing, but still acceptable.
Thanks for the response.
I have tried freezing a block but it's very difficult to cut off part when you need it. Maybe cutting it up smaller before freezing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom