I heard from Katie!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
Katie's cell phone finally worked this evening, and she gave me a call. She is all right, physically, but has had a terrible, frightening experience, especially Tuesday night when the limbs started falling. Her house is (was) surrounded by huge trees over a hundred years old, and with two inches of ice on them, they started snapping and breaking. We're talking limbs 10-20" in diameter. She said as they broke, she would hear a pop, and then they would hit the ground with a boom, shaking the whole house. Limbs went through a couple of windows in her house and one of her car windows. She says the trees now look like matchsticks.

The good news is, Katie has gas radiant heat under her kitchen floor and a gas range, so she had some heat and has been able to cook. (black bean soup last night) She pulled her recliner in the kitchen, grabbed a couple of down comforters from the bedroom, and blocked of the kitchen door so it would stay warmer. Naturally, her 6 indoor fur babies pile up on top of her when she settles down for a nap. She's also has water and sewer, which some people have lost. (It's such a blessing to be able to flush the toilet!)
After Ike blew through last summer, she and Buck had stocked up on batteries, flash lights, and I guess a radio, since she's heard some news, so that's good.

She also said the National Guard came down her street in a Humvee, going door to door, and they did check on her. The Red Cross and Salvation Army are also there to help.

So Katie is OK...and she isn't. It was terrible for her to have to go through this very traumatic experience alone.
Tomorrow, she's going to try to get into Paducah for supplies, and she's going to take her laptop and see if she can find a place where she can get a wireless connection. If she does, she will post.

In the meantime, when I told her how worried y'all have been about her, she said thanks to all of you for your thoughts and prayers.

Sounds to me like she's going to need some more.

Tell her that we are still praying. Oh Connie, THANK YOU!!!! I am tearing from joy!! Buck is STILL looking over her!! {{{{{{{{{{BIG HUGS KATIE LADY}}}}}}}}}}

Oh Constance, THANKS! I hate to think of her all alone in the house hearing the world falling down around her...you're an angel for being so persistent and letting us know she is OK.

Thank you Connie!

She was just as I said I hoped she was, under a pile of quilts and kitties!

I am so thankful that Katie is safe and warm. I know it had to be scary, and I know that it's not all over yet. Hopefully the worst is over though.

:)Barbara

I told y'all she was a tough lady. We do what we have to do.

I sure hope next year ends up being a better one for our friend!

Thank you so much Constance! She still has my prayers for sure. What an awful experience but the main thing is that she is okay. I look forward to having her back though.

Thanks Connie,it's wonderful to know Katie is okay..She is loved here and we all can now sigh with relief that she is safe..Stay safe Katie.. Big warm hugs
kades

Last edited:
Oh Katie! I am so glad you are ok. I know that sound of popping limbs and the thud after - just maybe not as close as you heard them!!!! If it wasn't so late I would call - I'll call tomorrow.

That's such a relief. Going through stuff like that alone is scary.

Thanks for the detailed report, Constance.

Hang in there, Katie. We're with you in spirit, at least.

Thank you Constance. I am very happy to hear the Katie is ok. Keep us all posted if you can and let Katie know that we all love her.

I wondered if she had alot of trees go down - that is so scary. when the ice storm went through my part of KY last week, I had some big tree limbs go down (luckily not near my house), the sounds of trees cracking and breaking freaked me out. I'm sure she was scared to death that night. Glad to hear she is better off than others and didn't have to go to a shelter.

Thanks for letting us know Connie - she has been missed around here!

thanks for the update Connie...I can't imagine going through this alone, poor Katie, I think about her everyday

stay strong katie, I know,.... easier said than done!!

WOW!

I am so glad to hear this news but am so sad to hear of the damage.

Katie is a very strong lady, though. I am thinking good thoughts and praying for her.

[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[katie]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

Back
Top Bottom