I think I've messed up here...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Badjak, to me there are 3 different things. Waffles, pancakes and crepes. All the same but all different.
Waffles generally have a bit more sugar, helps them to achieve that extra little crunch from the waffle iron.
Pancakes with said less sugar and sometimes less egg, usually more dense and moist than waffles,
Crepes differ in that they do not have baking powder - the leaven, which is why you get those thin flat rounds. Yes, have a bit of sugar but are often used for savoury as well as sweet.
It is all in the quantities and methods of cooking.

I'd say all bases have pretty much been covered here. Did you buy masa harina or corn flour at some point?

Hope you can figure it out. That would drive me bananas.

Of course they are not, wasn't suggesting that. There is a big difference with a crepe though. I shouldn't think it could be confused with a pannenkoek.

It seems like almost every country has some sort of pancake/flatbread. 🥞

It seems like almost every country has some sort of pancake/flatbread. 🥞

I've had Moo Shu Pork, but only from Chinese restaurants. Have never tried making it at home. Really the only Asian style dish I'll make at home is fried rice, plus I have a pretty decent recipe for baked sweet & sour chicken that I'll make on occasion. I found it online years ago and have been making it ever since.

Other than that, I leave the Chinese/Cantonese cooking to the restaurants. :closedeye

@rodentraiser any chance your grocery store keeps a copy of what you bought recently? Like on amazon I can look at what I bought and when. Azure standard is like that too. Or do you keep receipts of any type? If you knew what you bought, it might give you an idea. Or do you keep grocery lists?
I have had unlabeled things in jars in my pantry. I bought restickable labels. If I move it from one container to another, I can peel it off and stick it on the new container. My memory is not as sharp as in my 30's.

edited to add: I'm looking forward to hearing how it all turned out. I know how frustrating that can be. It's like a cooking experiment to figure out.
Also southern living says "While pancake mix and Bisquick share many ingredients, the two are not the same. The main difference is that the pancake mix is sweeter. Most pancake mixes can be used in place of Bisquick and vice versa in sweet recipes. Compare your pancake mix with Bisquick's ingredient list before swapping."
No, I doubt they do, especially as I buy a lot of stuff from Winco.

I have 7 canisters and right now there are (don't judge me here LOL) noodles, brown sugar, regular sugar, and ice tea mix in 4 of them. I have a white powder in the other 3 and I have no idea what the white powder is. Is there anything simple I can cook to know what I have where? I don't think I have flour in any of these 3 canisters and I'm pretty sure I have pancake batter (just add water) and Bisquick in at least 2 canisters. But I can't tell which of the three is the Bisquick or pancake mix or what the third white powder might be. They all taste like nothing, so powdered sugar they ain't. And no, no heroin or cocaine, either. Sheesh!
I had to label mine.

Well, that rules out snorting some to find out what it is.

CD
Veeery funny. LOL
and did you remember to mark the one you tried as pancake mix and found that it is NOT pancake mix?
No, because I'm not sure it was pancake mix.
If they taste bad, and not just tasteless like regular flour, I'd say they're probably rancid. I would throw them out and start over.
I have the feeling you and dcSaute have the right idea. Oh, well, at least I'm not throwing out a 5lb bag of flour.

I never did a bake test last night. I was so tired I just watched a couple episodes of Hawaii 5-0 and then went to bed. But it looks like I'm going to be buying Bisquick and pancake mix again at the store.

You guys think this is bad. When I started cooking, I was looking for some cool spice jars and I finally ended up just buying about 20 McCormick spice jars and peeling the labels off of them. Guess how similar dill weed, parsley, basil, thyme and other green spices look. Not to mention how garlic powder and onion powder look pretty much the same, too, but that wasn't a problem because I throw those both into everything I cook.

Badjak, have you ever had Crepes Suzette? They are definitely not pancakes.
Yes I have and I like them :)
To my upbringing (in the Netherlands, they are just thin pancakes though.
Crepe Suzette totally appeals to my inner pyromaniac

Aunt Bea thanks for those leads on Moo Shu, I've copied both the crepe recipe and filling recipe from that author. I'm no seriously looking at that book- 'A Spoonful of Ginger'. I have to make up my mind on Kindle or Soft Cover. I really dislike reading/browsing recipes on my tablet but on the other hand I swore I would not buy any more books.

. But it looks like I'm going to be buying Bisquick and pancake mix again at the store.
Now would be a good time to wean yourself away from Bisquick and pancake flour.

Do a little googling and find a couple of simple recipes that use flour, baking powder, and other common ingredients.

There are several basic pancake recipes that can be made without milk or eggs.

Good luck!

Now would be a good time to wean yourself away from Bisquick and pancake flour.

Do a little googling and find a couple of simple recipes that use flour, baking powder, and other common ingredients.

There are several basic pancake recipes that can be made without milk or eggs.

Good luck!
Here is our own Chief Longwind's pancake recipe. Multiply the dry ingredients, measure them into a canister and tuck a copy of the instructions inside. Btw, 1/8 cup = 2 tbsp.

Yes I have and I like them :)
To my upbringing (in the Netherlands, they are just thin pancakes though.
Crepe Suzette totally appeals to my inner pyromaniac
Yeah, I was startled when I first found out about crepes - those are just like Swedish pancakes. We had Swedish pancakes for dessert, whenever my mum made pea soup. Which was usually every Thursday in winter.

I have made Swedish pancakes with and without sugar in the batter. I can't remember the last time, if ever, that I made North American style pancakes. I just eyeball the amounts for the Swedish pancakes. It's easy enough that I can't really be bothered to start following a recipe for something else.

sigh. never understood the need to buy a pancake/waffle/biscuit "mix"
flour salt baking powder . . .
all that is standard stuff in my kitchen - and the "time/effort" to combine is like . . .

that aside, there are some mixes ala free-breakfast-motels that have a distinctive flavor.
reading the labels . . . you need some malt powder.

which . . . I have anyway - to spruce up specific bread recipes.

I do crepes and pancakes and waffles with bunches of different "flavors" -
almond, vanilla, etc. . . .mixes are too restricted....

sigh. never understood the need to buy a pancake/waffle/biscuit "mix"
flour salt baking powder . . .
all that is standard stuff in my kitchen - and the "time/effort" to combine is like . . .
afraid I don't agree. Pulling out 3 different items, measuring said items, is more than measuring one item and not accidently adding too much of one of the 3. I do agree the liquid part, of course, remains the same effort.
Plus the recipe is on the box and as I don't remember the increments for waffles to pancakes I don't have to search out the recipe card.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom