ISO - help w/Crab cakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jerseyjay14

Senior Cook
Love crabcakes... never made them. i have a bunch of recipes, looking more for help with the best ways to cook them...

from what ive got it seems saute + oven(12 minutes) seems to be the most popular.

Another issue is texture, ive read that the cakes should be just solid enough that they dont fall apart. Also, any suggestions on a mold? in the Pro Chef book the cakes are perfect mini hockey puck shapes... i'd like to achieve this, but dont have anything in my tupperware bin that fits the bill?

Ahh man. My DW makes The Best crab cakes. I'll try to find the reipe for you. Has red bell pepper in it. We just sautee in a fry pan until they "look" done. Topped with homemade tartar sauce (drool).

And when you are ready to turn them, turn them carefully and ONLY once, using your spatula and other hand to hold them while turning.

thanks for the tips guys.... ill take a trip to the store and see what they have for molds using those suggestions...

I don't really find the molds necessary, but to each his own. For certain things, I'll even use a tin can with both ends cut off. I browse the canned food section for good, cheap candidates. lol

Definately use lump and be careful not to break it apart while mixing.

I don't really find the molds necessary, but to each his own. For certain things, I'll even use a tin can with both ends cut off. I browse the canned food section for good, cheap candidates.

you're right, empty tuna cans with both ends cut off will provide the same excellent molding result. I've found that an empty can with one end cut off is almost exactly a 1-cup measure.

I don't really find the molds necessary, but to each his own. For certain things, I'll even use a tin can with both ends cut off. I browse the canned food section for good, cheap candidates. lol

Definately use lump and be careful not to break it apart while mixing.

break what apart?

thanks for the help guys. Here is the finished product... they came out great. just sturdy enough not to fall apart. topped with some red pepper marmalade:

img_565470_0_f8fb118b02d33a5ad92e3a307b5df891.jpg

Oh yum ... I'm watching this thread for tips and tricks (and someone promised a recipe). Crabcakes rank right up there with chocolate in my book.

I make mine like I would a hamburger patty--hand molded..

You could use a Tupperware hamburger press..

Jay, your crab cakes look delish. I always shape/form them as I would burger patties - no rings. The trick?, for me, is to get as much of the taste of the crab as possible, i.e. not too much egg or crumbs -- just enough to bind the crab cakes together. There are so many ways to go with 'em i.e. - sometimes I add potatoes & chopped artichokes or diced avacado to the mix, or a different dressing like remoulade or peanut sauce. Crab cakes Rock! Thanks for sharing the pic.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom