ISO USA-type pancakes recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mehdi57000

Assistant Cook
Hi,

I'm french and I would like to get the real recipe of pancakes from USA, I've try a lot of recipes from french websites, but they were not great, and very flat.

Sorry for my English, and thank you.

(If you have any quastions about french food, i can try to reply you).

I use:

1c AP FLour
1tsp Baking Powder
1/4tsp Baking Soda
1/4tsp Salt
2TBS Sugar
1c Buttermilk
3TBS Butter (melted)
1 Large egg

Mix the dry, mix the wet... combine them and then add a little extra milk if it is too thick. Griddle.

Welcome to DC. I use the Better Homes and Gardens classic buttermilk pancake recipe, have for years. It is available on-line at:

Pancakes Recipe

I sometimes add grated orange zest and freshly ground cardamon. Other times, I add cinnamon.

These are great - they're light and fluffy. I use an extra Tbsp of flour and use buttermilk instead of regular milk.
In general, when making pancakes, make sure not to overmix the batter - a few lumps in the batter are okay:
Pancakes I Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm french and I would like to get the real recipe of pancakes from USA, I've try a lot of recipes from french websites, but they were not great, and very flat.

Sorry for my English, and thank you.

(If you have any quastions about french food, i can try to reply you).
Question mehdi? when you say flat do you mean the don't rise up when cooking or do you mean not much taste?
kadesma
Welcome to DC glad you've joined us.

I'm not into heavier pancakes. The sour cream pancakes I am extremely fond of, originated in Germany.

Yes - too much mixing overdevelops the gluten and causes tough and rubbery pancakes - it also breaks down all those lovely air bubbles which we want in pancake batter. Lumps are good. :)

I use:

1c AP FLour
1tsp Baking Powder
1/4tsp Baking Soda
1/4tsp Salt
2TBS Sugar
1c Buttermilk
3TBS Butter (melted)
1 Large egg

Mix the dry, mix the wet... combine them and then add a little extra milk if it is too thick. Griddle.
This is very close to the recipe I use, too. In fact, I wouldn't make pancakes without buttermilk.

I also agree about not over mixing the batter. Too much mixing will result in pancakes that don't rise well. The lumps are good and will not be noticeable in the final pancake.

Also, I don't know if you can buy maple syrup in France, but that's part of typical American pancakes.

Last edited:
Funny, I guess, but when I was a kid, we didn't have much, and Mom didn't like to let anything go to waste. When milk soured, it meant we were having pancakes or cornbread. Mom used, as do I still, a cup of ap flour, a tsp. salt, a tbsp. baking powder, a cup or so sour milk (you'll know the consistency you want when you get it) and an egg plus oil to cook in. As mentioned, she left the batter a little lumpy, and let it rise for about ten minutes before it hit the pan. Makes 'em fluffy.

Last edited:
You want to try a truly American pancake, N'est pas?

Buckwheat Pancakes
Ingredients:

• [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Cooking oil for coating the pan[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1½ cups (200g) buckwheat flour (you can use ½ buckwheat and ½ all-purpose flour)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]3 Tbs sugar[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]½ tsp salt[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 tsp baking soda[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]3 Tbs unsalted butter, melted[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 egg [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 cups (475 ml) buttermilk[/FONT]
Instructions:

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Combine dry ingredients. Combine wet ingredients. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. For best results, allow batter to sit for 30 minutes before using, adding additional buttermilk if it becomes too thick.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Heat a griddle or large cast iron skillet coated with oil over medium heat. Ladle ¼ cup measures of batter onto griddle/skillet, ensuring the pancakes don't run together. Allow to cook until bubbles form on the surface and the edges start to turn brown. Turn over with a spatula and allow to cook for about 3 more minutes, until browned. As you take the pancakes off the griddle/skillet, spread with butter and stack on a plate. Re-oil the griddle/skillet and continue ladling ¼ cup measures until all the butter is used. Serve with maple syrup and American style breakfast sausage.[/FONT]

Breakfast Sausage
Ingredients:

• [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 teaspoons dried sage[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 teaspoons salt[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 teaspoon ground black pepper[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 tablespoon brown sugar[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 pinch ground cloves[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 pounds ground pork[/FONT]
Instructions:

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]In a small bowl, combine the first 7 ingredients (through ground cloves) and mix well. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Place pork in a large bowl, add the mixed spices and mix well with your hands. Form the pork mixture into patties.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Saute the patties in a large skillet over medium high heat for 5 minutes per side, or until internal temperature reaches 160°F (73°C).[/FONT]

When I say flat, that mean they dont raise up.
The grand children love this one. I'll pass it on to you.:yum: Enjoy
They call this The Surprise
blend 1 cup of cottage cheese, 1 cup of sour cream2-1/2 Tablespoons of honey,1/2 teaspoon of vanilla dash of salt, in food processor, and blen til smooth Then add4 eggs one at a time.Sift your 1 cup of flour and 1 teaspoon of baking powder. Slowly stir egg mixture into flour, stir out the lumps but do not over mix.Lightly dust 2 medium bananas cut into slices about 1/4 of an inch. Brush a griddle lightly with either butter or oil. I prefer the butter:LOL: Drop the batter by the tablespoon onto the griddle top each tablespoon with a banana then spoon more batter on top of the banana slice, to cover. When bubbles form on top, Flip the pancake over and cook til til golden brown. Serve with warm syrup or warmed melted jam and powdered sugar.This recipe will many cakes so you might reduce it to fit you family.
kadesma

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom