ISO venison ideas/recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
usually i marinate it in red wine and mirepoix with or without gin or vodka for a few days then depending on the cut: BBQ, smoke, stew, or treat as a steak

What cuts do you have?

Remember that as a wild critter, it's probably going to be a bit tough, and very lean. Therefore, don't cook it well-done, unless you're braising it. By under-cooking it, it will still be somewhat tender, and moist; braising will keep it moist, and break down the connective tissue so that it's tender.

I have a couple small venison roasts in my freezer. I'm thinking about braising them in my Dutch Oven, with some good beef stock, and maybe some packaged French Onion Soup mix (I know, it's not from scratch, but I've heard it's good).

Need to know the cuts you have, as someone else said. If they are tender cuts, then they need to be grilled and not overcooked or they will be tough,dry and inedible.
If they are non=tender cuts they need to be cooked quickly or braised and still not overcooked or they will be tough, dry and inedible. Done right they are sublime.

obiwan9962 said:
usually i marinate it in red wine and mirepoix with or without gin or vodka for a few days then depending on the cut: BBQ, smoke, stew, or treat as a steak

I am not familiar w/ mirepoix. Could you tell me what it is?

I marinade roasts and backstraps in Italian dressing. Roasts I put in a crock pot and backstraps I grill them or slice them thin and fry them in olive oil. I think the Italian dressing covers some of the game taste.

Here is one for rack of venison.

Debone the whole rack, save the bones.Lard the meat.
Rub the meat thinly with oil, salt, pepper, dried thyme and keep in the fridge for 1-2 days.
In the meantime roast the bones,add sliced carrots, parsley root, onions,about 100 gr each, brown them a little, then add 50 gr tomato paste.
Cook for a few minutes, add 6c broth, salt, papper and a bay leaf.
Simmer 2 1/2-3 hors then strain.
Add 3 c strong red wine and reduce until saucy.
Cube 1 lb each chicken livers and mushrooms.
Brown these in a bit of butter, then add 200 gr thinly sliced almonds, salt, perrer, thyme and chopped parsley.Add this to the sauce.
Slice the meat and and panfry quickly.
Put the slices into the sauce and heat through.

For venison leg

Slice the meat into strips (Stroganoff style) and marinate in cognac for 24 hours.
Sautee sliced onions in butter, add the meat , salt, pepper, cinnamon.
Add a little broth and simmer slowly, adding more broth occasionally.
Towards the end of cooking add some lemon zest and juice.

I got a call from a friend who took down two Does yesterday, and he is going to donate some Venison for my Thanksgiving feast. I'm planning on smoking it, and he's giving me the options of a Ham or a shoulder. which should I take? I'm completely clueless when it comes to Venison. Any other tips would also be appreciated.

I made a great venison soup last night... just like veggie beef and barley only I used venison stew meat instead. Wonderful. I can't wait until it's dinner time again.

Ground venison makes great chili.

:)Soaking a roast in Cranberry juice overnight before roasting is good.I did it a long time ago and dont have recipe but I bet you can google it.

Here is one of my favorite venison steak recipes:
  1. Pat the steaks dry.
  2. Immerse them in a bowl of sake and black pepper.
  3. Marinate for around one hour.
  4. Sear the steaks on both sides. Depending on the cut of steak, they may be ready to serve.
  5. Reduce heat and finish cooking (if necessary).
  6. Serve promptly.

Last edited:
good eats

bologna , jerky , sausage , dried/chipped , slipery deer potpie pot roast list can go on and on.....we eat alot of deer at my house.....
But one thing most don't know mountian deer who feed on alot of acorns taste gamier but good clover corn orchard deer are sweet....the reson deer taste gamey is because they are not field dressed right....and temp brought down.
thanks
RON

An old seasoning trick for venison is to use juniper berries for seasoning as in a roast. Very "Renaissance" like eating at Henry the 8th's table. Has anyone tried to use venison in recipes other than northern European origins, perhaps as a substitute for lamb or goat in a curry?

Back
Top Bottom