Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
just wondering if any of you are enrolling in that new kindle free book program?...
Are these to buy or borrow? If all you're doing is borrowing them to read, first check with your library system. I know ours keeps adding e-books faster than the real ones.

... I just cannot give up my dead tree books.............I love the smell and feel of books. I can spend the afternoon in the bookstore, looking and touching...
Me too. It's part of the reason I was a library volunteer for a few years, until my feet really crapped out on me. That, plus the fact that the director at the time I left was too...rear-thinking. She'd rather have us dust shelves than shelf books and log in new ones. She was relieved of her duties before her probationary period was up.

There is just something about the smell and the heft of a real book in the hands. However, I will issue a disclaimer: Himself just gifted himself with a nice little Samsung Tab 4, using his Holiday Inn Priority Club points. I can see something like that being very useful to download books for reading when going on vacation. Plus, if you run out of books you really don't. I can log on to my library from anywhere with internet and get another book or two!

That Samsung Tab is a cute little bugger, but I think I would want the 10 inch model. Looks like I need to make sure I have one heck of a garage sale this fall!

frank, i'm quite certain that you don't need to have an actual kindle device in order to use the kindle free service. i don't have a kindle reader myself, but have been purchasing kindle books for my pc for years. and, the way amazon has set it up, you are actually 'buying' your kindle book selections for $00.00, not borrowing them. i'm not sure if i will make adequate use of this kindle free feature either, but i think i'll just give it a go and find out.

when will i learn to check my facts FIRST? instead of goofing about with my half-baked and half-cocked notions? starting right now, let's hope.

yes, you DO need to have a device (though not necessarily a kindle reader) in order to use 'kindle unlimited'. in fact, one of amazon's stated objectives with this program is to promote the sale of such devices. oh well, hopefully, b&n will come up with an unlimited reading program of their own for the nook, which i do own....

oh and btw, 'only' 600,000 of the book titles at amazon are eligible for the unlimited kindle program. still, a lot of books....

Last edited:
when will i learn to check my facts FIRST? instead of goofing about with my half-baked and half-cocked notions? starting right now, let's hope.

yes, you DO need to have a device (though not necessarily a kindle reader) in order to use 'kindle unlimited'. in fact, one of amazon's stated objectives with this program is to promote the sale of such devices. oh well, hopefully, b&n will come up with an unlimited reading program of their own for the nook, which i do own....

oh and btw, 'only' 600,000 of the book titles at amazon are eligible for the unlimited kindle program. still, a lot of books....

But, you providing a nice suggestion for those that do have a Kindle and it was very thoughtful of you!

I am reading "The Warden" by A. Trollope. I like it more then I thought I would. Victorian literature can be a bit intimidating for me but I am managing it fine.

I was speaking with a lady at work who recommended Les Miserable by Hugo. Holy moly, I found it at the book store and it's HUGE! I think it may be longer then the bible. That would be a kindle purchase, it's way lighter then that tome! Way too much of an investment in time at this stage of my life.

Last edited:
I'm afraid it's all light and entertaining at the moment.

I've just finished the latest (I think) in the No 1 Ladies Detective Agency series - "The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon" and the first three books in the "Imogen Quy" series of whodunnits by Jill Paton-Walsh - "The Wyndham Case", "A Piece of Justice" and "Debts of Dishonour". All are an easy but intelligently written entertaining afternoon's read and I can recommend them for the harrassed and stressed in need of R&R and I'm particularly fond of Mma Ramotswe and her gang in the No 1 Ladies Detective Agency series.

Jill Paton-Walsh finished a last Lord Peter Wimsey novel - "Thrones, Denominations" - which was started by Dorothy L Sayers before her death I can't remember what it was about but while I was reading it I wasn't aware of thinking it was rubbish. It certainly wasn't as bad as a lot of novels written by "XXX writing as NNN" often are.

I am reading "The Warden" by A. Trollope. I like it more then I thought I would. Victorian literature can be a bit intimidating for me but I am managing it fine.

I was speaking with a lady at work who recommended Les Miserable by Hugo. Holy moly, I found it at the book store and it's HUGE! I think it may be longer then the bible. That would be a kindle purchase, it's way lighter then that tome! Way too much of an investment in time at this stage of my life.
I love the Barchester Chonicles. There are some very funny characters in them. There was a television adaptation of "The Wared" and "Barchester Towers" some about 30 years ago and Alan Rickman (Severus Snape in the "Harry Potter" films and the Sheriff of Nottingham in the Kevin Costner "Robin Hood" film) was Obadiah Slope to the nth degree! It's available on DVD and if you are enjoying "The Warden" I'm sure you'd enjoy the television series.

IMO "Les Miserables" is very well named. When the stage musical was reviewed in one of the newspapers the critic translated it as "The Glums" and having done the book at school (in French, God help me!) I can understand his point of view.

Last edited:
I looked on our library website and they have the Mrs Pollifax books in paper books, but not in e-books. The only e-books I read are the ones I borrow from the library. Occasionally I will check out a paper book. Right now I have 2 boxes and a shopping bag full of paperback books my friend gave me. It's going to take me a very long time to read all those. After I'm finished with them I will donate them to the library used book sale. For some reason, I can read a paperback book much faster than I read an e-book. These paperback books are mostly older books, but if I haven't read them, they are new to me. The only time I get to read newer books is if I borrow the e-books from the library.

I have a Pandigital e-reader, but the battery doesn't last very long. Then I got a Nook because the battery lasts much longer, and then I got another Nook because I wanted a 10 inch screen to use for going online. Somewhere along the line I should have bought a Kindle so I could get the free Kindle books. I do have a Kindle Cloud account and can get free e-books with that, but I have to read them online.

I'm dual-reading both of these:

American Prometheus: The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer

14758159605_5702c274b4_o.jpg

And The Age of Odin

14735154896_9cd9d93ed1.jpg

I know I've been away from this thread for awhile.

i've been on a reading jag that just won't quit.

Lately, I found and am devouring Allison Brennan's books.

It seems I'm reading a book in a day and a half or less. The resident's library downstairs is getting full with my discards. If I kept them here in my apartment, I wouldn't be able to move.

One book I got from a neighbor is called Lara, by Bertrice Small.

I don't usually like magical fantasy like that, but I loved the book and just received the two sequels, A Distant Tomorrow, and The Twilight Lord.

I'm reading this..
The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax (Mrs. Pollifax Series #1) by Dorothy Gilman | 9780449208281 | Paperback | Barnes & Noble

Thanks to whoever turned me on to this...I'm really enjoying it and looking forward to the next 8 books in the series. Mrs. Pollifax is my new hero!

Now I remember who it was...Thanks Lizzy!!

My pleasure, K. It's always nice to share good things like that series.

At present I'm reading Cold Storage, Alaska, by John Straley. Helps to beat the heat down here, with a nod to a little backwoods philosophy.

I'm reading my "new" "Joy of Cooking". Fascinating! I like cookery books with plenty of reading attached to the recipes. It came very quickly too, considering Amazon had given 18th August as the earliest date that it would get here from teh US.

Harumph! I'm still waiting for a book that's coming from 50 miles away that I ordered a week before "JoC"

I'm reading my "new" "Joy of Cooking". Fascinating! I like cookery books with plenty of reading attached to the recipes. It came very quickly too, considering Amazon had given 18th August as the earliest date that it would get here from teh US.

Harumph! I'm still waiting for a book that's coming from 50 miles away that I ordered a week before "JoC"
And it arrived this am. "The Bad Quarto" by Jill Paton-Walsh. It's the 4th and last in the Imogen Quy mysteries. A an intelligent who-dunnit and a quick but rivetting read. The series is set around a fictional Cambridge college where Our Heroine is the college nurse so plenty of scope for things to happen. Sadly there are only four in the series and I've read them all now.

I'm not getting involved in anything very deep at the moment as I have a lot on my plate and the Imogen Quy novels just hit the spot.

Just finishing a James Patterson book, Mistress.

Next in line The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, and A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.

I was inspired by a PBS series on Samuel Clements.

Just finished The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. Oh, what fun! I'd never read it, even as a child, and enjoyed every bit of it. It was lovely to be transported back to a simpler time and revel in Tom's world and his adventures.

Tonight, I'll begin The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. More adventures and more fun. I'm looking forward to it.

Back
Top Bottom