Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just finished up "The Good, the Bad, and the Emus" by Donna Andrews. I'll be returning Meg Langslow and her crazy crew to the library later today and now have to wait until the next book comes out. I think it's in December. Yay!

I just finished "Micro" by Michael Crichton. If you like thrillers and gardening (specifically botany and entomology), you'll love this. Weird-sounding combo, I know, but the detail on the interactions of plants and bugs is terrific.

I just finished "Micro" by Michael Crichton. If you like thrillers and gardening (specifically botany and entomology), you'll love this. Weird-sounding combo, I know, but the detail on the interactions of plants and bugs is terrific.

I have that in a "To Read" box somewhere. Problem is with all the books that keep following me home, my "To Read" box is really about 6 boxes.:ermm:

Just about to start "Half of a Yellow Sun" by Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche. It's set around the Nigerian civil war in the 1960s. I've had it on the shelf for a few years but have never got round to reading it.

In the last several months, plenty of urban fantasy:

Harrison, Kim "Ever After" (Hollows #11)
Harrison, Kim "Once Dead, Twice Shy" (Madison Avery series vol. 1)
Harrison, Kim "Something Deadly This Way Comes (M. A. ser. vol. 3)
Harrison, Kim "Early to Death, Early to Rise" (M. A. series vol. 2
Harrison, Kim "Into The Woods"
Briggs, Patricia "Frost Burned" (Mercy Thompson #)
Kane, Stacia "Unholy Ghosts" (Downside #1)
Moning, Karen Marie "Iced" (A Fever Novel #1)
Kane, Stacia "Unholy Magic" (Downside #2)
Kane, Stacia "City of Ghosts" (Downsie #3)
Ward, J. R. "Covet" (Fallen Angels #1)
Ward, J. R. "Crave" (fallen Angels #2)
Kane, Stacia "Sacrificial Magic (Downside #4)
Kane, Stacia "Chasing Magic (Downside #5)
Kane, Stacia "Finding Magic - novella" (Downside: prequel)
Chance, Karen "Touch the Dark" (Cassie Palmer #1)
Chance, Karen "Claimed by Shadow" (Cassie Palmer #2)
Chance, Karen "Embrace the Night" (Cassie Palmer #3)
Chance, Karen "Curse the Dawn" (Cassie Palmer #4)
Chance, Karen "Hunt the Moon" (Cassie Palmer #5)
Chance, Karen "Tempt The Stars" (Cassie Palmer #6)
Briggs, Patricia "Night Broken" (Mercy Thompson #8)
Frost, Jeaniene" Halfway to the Grave" (Night Huntress #1)
Singh, Nalini "Angels' Blood" (Guild Hunter #1)
Harrison, Kim "The Undead Pool" (Hollows #12)
Singh, Nalini "Archangel's Kiss" (Guild Hunter #2)
Singh, Nalini "Archangel's Consort" (Guild Hunter #3)
Chance, Karen "Midnight's Daughter" (Dorina Basarab, Damphir #1)
Singh, Nalini "Archangel's Blade" (Guild Hunter #4)
Singh, Nalini "Archangel's Storm" (Guild Hunter #5)
Frost, Jeaniene "One Foot in the Grave" (Night Huntress #2)
Singh, Nalini "Archangel's Legion" (Guild Hunter #6)
Frost, Jeaniene "At Grave's End" (Night Huntress #3)
Frost, Jeaniene "This Side of the Grave" (Night Huntress #4)
Chance, Karen "Death's Mistress" (Dorina Basarab, Damphir #2)
Frost, Jeaniene "One Grave at a Time" (Night Huntress #4)
Chance, Karen "Fury's Kiss" (Dorina Basarab, Damphir #3)
Briggs, Patricia "Masques" (Sianim Series #1)
Frost, Jeaniene "Up From the Grave" (Night Huntress #5)
Maas, Sarah J. "Throne of Glass" (Throne of Glass #1)
Maas, Sarah J. "Crown of Midnight" (Throne of Glass #2)
Harrison, Kim "The Witch with No Name" (Hollows #13)
Briggs, Patricia "Steal the Dragon" (Sianim Series #2)
Briggs, Patricia "When Demons Walk" (Sianim Series #3)

To me they are the new SciFi. I used to love SciFi but science caught up with SciFi and I no longer enjoy the novels. Fantasy is a refreshing change of pace because it's impossible to ever catch up because really there is no magic.

As you can see they run in series. It's nice because if you like one (the debut?) you are likely to enjoy the sequels.

However I notice that Lee Child has published 3 books since I forgot about tracking him, his Jack Reacher series, so it's back to mystery/suspense/action for me soon.

Meanwhile I'm waiting for my reserves Nalini Singh's and Karen Marie Moning's recently published novels--I'm in the wait queue at the library.

Lately I'm getting almost all my books as ebooks from public libraries. It's really nice to find the book online (Overdrive Media Console app) and be reading it a few minutes later. I have accounts at 7-8 libraries so I often find the books I want quickly, including 5-6 in California, and Santa Fe NM and Phoenix AZ. I collect libraries.

Good cookbooks on the other hand I buy hard covers! :)

Last edited:
In the last several months, plenty of urban fantasy:

Harrison, Kim "Ever After" (Hollows #11)
Harrison, Kim "Once Dead, Twice Shy" (Madison Avery series vol. 1)
Harrison, Kim "Something Deadly This Way Comes (M. A. ser. vol. 3)
Harrison, Kim "Early to Death, Early to Rise" (M. A. series vol. 2
Harrison, Kim "Into The Woods"
Briggs, Patricia "Frost Burned" (Mercy Thompson #)
Kane, Stacia "Unholy Ghosts" (Downside #1)
Moning, Karen Marie "Iced" (A Fever Novel #1)
Kane, Stacia "Unholy Magic" (Downside #2)
Kane, Stacia "City of Ghosts" (Downsie #3)
Ward, J. R. "Covet" (Fallen Angels #1)
Ward, J. R. "Crave" (fallen Angels #2)
Kane, Stacia "Sacrificial Magic (Downside #4)
Kane, Stacia "Chasing Magic (Downside #5)
Kane, Stacia "Finding Magic - novella" (Downside: prequel)
Chance, Karen "Touch the Dark" (Cassie Palmer #1)
Chance, Karen "Claimed by Shadow" (Cassie Palmer #2)
Chance, Karen "Embrace the Night" (Cassie Palmer #3)
Chance, Karen "Curse the Dawn" (Cassie Palmer #4)
Chance, Karen "Hunt the Moon" (Cassie Palmer #5)
Chance, Karen "Tempt The Stars" (Cassie Palmer #6)
Briggs, Patricia "Night Broken" (Mercy Thompson #8)
Frost, Jeaniene" Halfway to the Grave" (Night Huntress #1)
Singh, Nalini "Angels' Blood" (Guild Hunter #1)
Harrison, Kim "The Undead Pool" (Hollows #12)
Singh, Nalini "Archangel's Kiss" (Guild Hunter #2)
Singh, Nalini "Archangel's Consort" (Guild Hunter #3)
Chance, Karen "Midnight's Daughter" (Dorina Basarab, Damphir #1)
Singh, Nalini "Archangel's Blade" (Guild Hunter #4)
Singh, Nalini "Archangel's Storm" (Guild Hunter #5)
Frost, Jeaniene "One Foot in the Grave" (Night Huntress #2)
Singh, Nalini "Archangel's Legion" (Guild Hunter #6)
Frost, Jeaniene "At Grave's End" (Night Huntress #3)
Frost, Jeaniene "This Side of the Grave" (Night Huntress #4)
Chance, Karen "Death's Mistress" (Dorina Basarab, Damphir #2)
Frost, Jeaniene "One Grave at a Time" (Night Huntress #4)
Chance, Karen "Fury's Kiss" (Dorina Basarab, Damphir #3)
Briggs, Patricia "Masques" (Sianim Series #1)
Frost, Jeaniene "Up From the Grave" (Night Huntress #5)
Maas, Sarah J. "Throne of Glass" (Throne of Glass #1)
Maas, Sarah J. "Crown of Midnight" (Throne of Glass #2)
Harrison, Kim "The Witch with No Name" (Hollows #13)
Briggs, Patricia "Steal the Dragon" (Sianim Series #2)
Briggs, Patricia "When Demons Walk" (Sianim Series #3)

To me they are the new SciFi. I used to love SciFi but science caught up with SciFi and I no longer enjoy the novels. Fantasy is a refreshing change of pace because it's impossible to ever catch up because really there is no magic.

As you can see they run in series. It's nice because if you like one (the debut?) you are likely to enjoy the sequels.

However I notice that Lee Child has published 3 books since I forgot about tracking him, his Jack Reacher series, so it's back to mystery/suspense/action for me soon.

Meanwhile I'm waiting for my reserves Nalini Singh's and Karen Marie Moning's recently published novels--I'm in the wait queue at the library.

Lately I'm getting almost all my books as ebooks from public libraries. It's really nice to find the book online (Overdrive Media Console app) and be reading it a few minutes later. I have accounts at 7-8 libraries so I often find the books I want quickly, including 5-6 in California, and Santa Fe NM and Phoenix AZ. I collect libraries.

Good cookbooks on the other hand I buy hard covers! :)

Good heavens that's a lot of books. I used to read like that. I need to start spending the occasional day off reading again.

I started Sophie's choice but had to put it down. DH ended up in the hospital this weekend (he's better) and it was just too dense to hold my attention. Needed something light. So I'm reading "Magic Mirror" by Micheala Thompson. It's about a museum in France that supposedly has the mirror of Nostradamus and it gets stolen. So far an interesting read.

I started Sophie's choice but had to put it down. DH ended up in the hospital this weekend (he's better) and it was just too dense to hold my attention. Needed something light. So I'm reading "Magic Mirror" by Micheala Thompson. It's about a museum in France that supposedly has the mirror of Nostradamus and it gets stolen. So far an interesting read.

Oh no! Hoping your DH recovers quickly, Jabbur!

Good heavens that's a lot of books. I used to read like that. I need to start spending the occasional day off reading again.

It's most of a year! I read every night beginning about 8-9 p.m. until I get sleepy and put away my iPad. (I read mostly ebooks now.)

I posted the list in case anybody is interested in urban fantasy, which as I said is mostly what I've been reading lately.

However I just began catching up with Lee Child's Jack Reacher series, A Wanted Man (#17). It turned out to be so suspenseful that I stayed up until around 2 a.m. and only put it down because I didn't want to feel crappy today from staying up too late and not getting enough sleep.

I have the next two Reacher novels to catch up to being current in the series, but I think I'll throw some more urban fantasy in between so as to not glut myself. Lee Child's books are so intense and suspenseful that they are difficult to put down!

I hope DH is doing well.

Can't say enough good about The Kitchen House. It was soooo good.

Also read Anne of Green Gables and have the next two "Anne" books on reserve at the library to be picked up on Wednesday. In the meantime I am well into another of James Patterson's Women's Murder Club series, Unlucky Thirteen. It's nice to rekindle my "friendship" with the ladies of this group. I love them all. I'll have it done by Wednesday so I can meet back up with Anne.

Just returned the first four books in Laura Child's series "The Cackleberry Club". Not your typical "beach reads", but they worked for me. The series revolves around three 40-something women who run a small cafe serving breakfast and lunch. Although Suzanne doesn't raise chickens or "grow' her own eggs, I can't help but not think of CWS when reading these books. ;)

"A Sudden Light", by Garth Stein who wrote, "The Art of Racing In the Rain". Just started it last night!

Finishing up the last two books of the Anne of Green Gables series. There are seven books but I won't be able to read the last one. None of the libraries in my area have it. Oh, well.

They're wonderful stories and it's so enjoyable to follow Anne from being a little girl to becoming a delightful woman.

Katie, maybe you could ask for the last book as a Christmas gift. Then after you read it, you could donate it to your local library. I've done that in the past, and our library really appreciates it.

Katie, do you have an e-reader? You can get The Anne Stories: 12 books, 142 short stories.

I recently finished Stephen King's "11/22/63" and really enjoyed it. It's a time travel story about a guy going back in time to prevent Kennedy's assassination. Very interesting read and wonderful story lines.

Currently working on "the Book Thief" set in Nazi Germany 1939-1940. Also very good.

Just finished We the living by Ayn Rand. If you are interested in Soviet History the portrayal of the after revolution Russia is very accurate.

Back
Top Bottom