Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I ordered it from my local library and have just finished it. Such an interesting true story -- a fast read, and an all-too-rare these days happy ending to a well-lived life. Thanks, Kayelle!

You're so welcome Lizzie, I'm glad you enjoyed Minding the Manor also. ;)

Now I'm reading "Twisted Vine" the 5th book in the Lei Crime Series by Toby Neal. You might want to take a look. The interesting series is set in Hawaii.

Lei Crime Series - Toby Neal

Just got home from Hawaii last night, and I miss it already.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome back CG. SC isn't doing a story of this trip as we've been there several times, and didn't really do anything new, just enjoyed the magic of the island. :cool::flowers:

Another welcome back from me, Kay! Sorry to hear you won't be sharing pics this time, but that's understandable since you've been there so many times before. :) Anything you'd like to share though, we'd love to hear! :LOL:

As far as reading...I started reading Sacajawea again after decades, but put it down as I'm just not that into reading it again, even though I love that period in history.

I think I need a good crime/mystery novel, so will look into some of the ones recommended above. :)

Last edited:
Here's a slide show of some of the pictures from the last time we were on beautiful Kauai...Kauai 2012 Slideshow by Kayelle | Photobucket

I'm with you on Sacajawea Cheryl. I've tried to read it three times and always give up. I too love that period in history so much.

Cheryl, I highly recommend this if you haven't read it. It will be in my heart forever.......
jamesthom
Beautiful pics, Kay, thanks for sharing your slideshow. Gorgeous scenery!

I looked up your link and just spent the last hour reading 25+ pages from "From Sea To Shining Sea" on Amazon. Wow...now that is my kind of reading! Thanks so much for the recommendation - I've always been fascinated with anything Lewis and Clark.

I'm going to go to our little used bookstore tomorrow to see if they have it. If not, I'll order it. :)

By the way, Sacajawea is a great read - it is long, though. :)

Last edited:
Beautiful pics, Kay, thanks for sharing your slideshow. Gorgeous scenery!

I looked up your link and just spent the last hour reading 25+ pages from "From Sea To Shining Sea" on Amazon. Wow...now that is my kind of reading! Thanks so much for the recommendation - I've always been fascinated with anything Lewis and Clark.

I'm going to go to our little used bookstore tomorrow to see if they have it. If not, I'll order it. :)

By the way, Sacajawea is a great read - it is long, though. :)

Now I remember why I could never get through Sacajawea Cheryl.
The font in the paperback 5" thick book was so tiny my eyes couldn't take it, even when I was decades younger. :wacko:

You inspired me to order it for my Nook reader (the renewal of my old love for books.) Now I know that a book I've always wanted to read is possible at last. The light is always perfect, the font just the way I like it and my "old love of holding a book" just isn't that important anymore. ;)

That Nook Tablet is the best gift my sons ever gave me!

I can't wait to get started on the 1,424 pages again!

Sacajawea by Anna L. Waldo | 9780380842933 | Paperback | Barnes & Noble

Last edited:
Now I remember why I could never get through Sacajawea Cheryl.
The font in the paperback 5" thick book was so tiny my eyes couldn't take it, even when I was decades younger. :wacko:

You inspired me to order it for my Nook reader (the renewal of my old love for books.) Now I know that a book I've always wanted to read is possible at last. The light is always perfect, the font just the way I like it and my "old love of holding a book" just isn't that important anymore. ;)

That Nook Tablet is the best gift my sons ever gave me!

I can't wait to get started on the 1,424 pages again!

Sacajawea by Anna L. Waldo | 9780380842933 | Paperback | Barnes & Noble

Good...I'm glad you've been inspired, Kay! It's such a great read - not always pleasant but such an important part of American history.

I may have to look into one of those Nook readers. I too love to sit and read a real book and turn real pages, but these eyes aren't what they used to be. :ermm:

I'm in the middle of the third of Anne Bishop's "The Others" fantasy series.

Anne Bishop: Novels of Dark Fantasy
https://www.goodreads.com/series/99557-the-others
http://www.amazon.com/Written-Red-Others-Anne-Bishop-ebook/dp/B008RD34VO

In this fascinating series the world was created with two species, humans and the terra indigene, shape shifters, and they are the dominant species. In the beginning the humans were separate but as they explored the world they discovered most of it was owned by the others. These others are wolves, crows, bears, etc. who can assume human forms when necessary. The species live in an uneasy truce, but humans live or die if the others are displeased. Oh, they eat humans they don't like. :)

Our protagonist Meg is a Cassandra sangue or "blood prophet," a special kind of human who can see the future, but only if she is cut deep enough to scar. She was raised as property of a home for such women, ostensibly to protect the women, but in reality they are treated as cattle and their predictions sold to customers (and often prostituted too).

The catch is that if somebody cuts her and allows her to speak the future, she goes into an euphoric almost sexual trance and remembers nothing. But if she can't speak she feels great pain but remembers her prophesies.

The story begins as she escapes The Controller (owner of the asylum) and at the end of her endurance she lands on the doorstep of one of the Others' "courtyards" (islands of Others in the cities they control) where she is taken by Simon Wolfgard, what we wold call a werewolf, and head Other at the courtyard.

As the story develops Simon Wolfgard (who is equally intelligent as humans) realizes she has been imprisoned and takes pity on her and gives her a job as more or less their shipment receiving department, where the members of the courtyard get goods purchased from humans.

The Others own all the land and all the resources, and lease some of it to humans who live only if the Others let them. The Others often refer to humans as "clever meat." Oh, and the Others are telepathic. :)

I'll leave you off here to say that Meg becomes a focal point of the struggles between the humans and Others. The Controller wants her back. The Others are angry with the uppity humans, and Simon takes pity that the only life Meg has ever known is as the property known as cs759, her designation to The Controller who doesn't even bother to name his properties.

--

I'm really enjoying my transition into the "new science fiction," replacing my love of SciFi which has mostly become just plain old reality. Ho hum, space ships to the moon, been there done that. SciFi has drawn its well dry IMO, where fantasy has to make sense (so that you can maintain your suspension of disbelief) but as long as it's self consistent it suffices as the new SciFi, except it is not limited by the laws of science, only by the rules of logic. Build a good world and fantasy lovers will flock to it!

(I'm now on the third of three novels published, another scheduled for March 2016 and a fifth at a yet to be announced date.)

Last edited:
I just started Vince Flynn's "Term Limits". It was published in 1997 but you'd swear it was written about Obama's presidency. So far very interesting thriller.

I like Greg Iles's first book, "Black Cross." It is a real suspense thriller, his best book IMO. It's about WW II and poison gas. "Black cross" was the code word for the most deadly gas.

I've just finished Anne Bishop's Black Jewels trilogy - now extended, decided to try her "The Others" series and I am totally enchanted by the series debut "Written in Red."

Note the Anne Bishop books are hardcore fantasy. I'm loving this Others series because I know if the rest are as good as the debut I won't have any problems finding reading material for some time

I thought Spandau Phoenix was his first book.

It's the one that got me hooked.

Black Cross was good too.

Word to the wise. Don't read Natchez Burning as it's the first of a trilogy and you will want to read the next one before it's a paperback. I'm going to go against my "frugal" (cheap) nature and buy The Bone Tree in hardcover. :mad:

Haven't read any Anne Bishop but if you like Greg Iles I guess I'd better check her out. ;)

Finished Kate Mulgrew's "Born with Teeth".

After a few PMs back and forth with Cheryl about "true crime", I'll be starting a book about the Neil Entwistle case. I've read one other book by the author, Michele McPhee, so I don't expect anything better than a middle-school essay, but reading the details of the case all at once (as opposed to snippets in newspaper articles) should be interesting.

Started Lee Child's "Personal"

It's another Jack Reacher novel but once you get hooked on a character you have to read it. :rolleyes:

After a few PMs back and forth with Cheryl about "true crime", I'll be starting a book about the Neil Entwistle case. I've read one other book by the author, Michele McPhee, so I don't expect anything better than a middle-school essay, but reading the details of the case all at once (as opposed to snippets in newspaper articles) should be interesting.

I was unaware that Kate Mulgrew wrote any books. She remains one of my favorite actresses, I enjoyed her work on Star Trek: Voyager and Warehouse 13.. I'll have to check out this book.

Thank you for posting about this :)

I think it's the only book she's written, ardchoille. It's an autobiography. Although I didn't watch too many of the Voyager episodes, at one time Mulgrew was married to a Cleveland/Cuyahoga county politician. I guess I was interested in the book because I'm from Cleveland originally. It was a good read, but nothing deep. I guess it could be considered a Beach Read if I actually went to the beach. :LOL:

I was wondering if it was THAT Kate Mulgrew! Dating myself here, but I remember her as Mary Ryan from years back on the soap series "Ryan's Hope". Loved her then, and loved her in Star Trek. :)

Yeah, we've gone back and forth with the crime story PM's...:LOL: Let me know what you think about the book, CG.

Last edited:
I'm halfway through it, Chery. All I found so far were two grammar errors. :LOL: It looks like Michele pulled her writing style a little tighter, and it has been reading better than the first one I read. Lots of little details I don't remember from the news reports from back then. Boy, Neil was one evil...guy.

Back
Top Bottom