Kitchen utensils-what could you not live without?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How about a pizza knife? I like this one here http://amzn.to/2yv9cSZ
I must admit that my pizza cutter has become indispensable as I delve deeper into the art of bread making. I don’t have a pastry cutter (yet, but Hanukkah’s coming!), so the pizza cutter is a good hack for cutting dough into sections. Oh, and I use it on pizza, too!

Better cooking through technology!

It’s not really a “kitchen gadget” or a utensil, but my iPad has proved invaluable in keeping my recipes (my own, and those I find on the web) organized and in one place. If some of the items on my menu are from recipes, the recipes are invariably in different cookbooks. I’d have to be running between books when I should stirring, or flipping, or measuring. Everything is on my tablet now, though, and as long as I keep it far away from my prep area (well, not far, just away from the cutting board and sink), all of the info I need is at my flour-encrusted fingertips!

Last edited:
Interesting thread...

In preparing my upcoming move to Missouri, I am disposing of everything in my kitchen except my knives and a small selection of utensils I feel I can't do without or do not want to replace.

Ross

Interesting thread...

In preparing my upcoming move to Missouri, I am disposing of everything in my kitchen except my knives and a small selection of utensils I feel I can't do without or do not want to replace.

Ross

Ross, are you moving your recently purchased 6 qt. Nesco Roaster? Mine is something I wouldn't want to do without.
my knives and a small selection of utensils I feel I can't do without or do not want to replace
I'd love to hear that list, as I try to think of what mine would be.

I have a set of bamboo utensils in a crock next to the stove that would be difficult to live without. They can be used in any cookware; cast iron, enameled cast iron, stainless steel, carbon steel, aluminium, and on plain or any non-stick surfaces.

9291313997764p

I have a set of bamboo utensils in a crock next to the stove that would be difficult to live without. They can be used in any cookware; cast iron, enameled cast iron, stainless steel, carbon steel, aluminium, and on plain or any non-stick surfaces.

9291313997764p
Mine don't look like that anymore..
GF keeps wanting to buy me new ones and I tell her they are just getting broken in..every one is either black, brown or chipped...

Ross, are you moving your recently purchased 6 qt. Nesco Roaster? Mine is something I wouldn't want to do without.
I'd love to hear that list, as I try to think of what mine would be.

The pic shows most of what I will take with me, out of 2 drawers full of "stuff" I've accumulated over the years..

I have yet to buy the roaster. My plan is to buy a Nesco Roaster, a Cuisinart Air Fryer, Toaster Oven and an Instapot. That and a hand mixer should cover my needs..

Ross

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 145
The pic shows most of what I will take with me, out of 2 drawers full of "stuff" I've accumulated over the years..

I have yet to buy the roaster. My plan is to buy a Nesco Roaster, a Cuisinart Air Fryer, Toaster Oven and an Instapot. That and a hand mixer should cover my needs..

Ross

Omigosh! How could've I forgotten my trusty bench scraper. Use it all the time. I've had it so long I don't even remember where/when I got it. It's just like yours, Ross.

Omigosh! How could've I forgotten my trusty bench scraper. Use it all the time. I've had it so long I don't even remember where/when I got it. It's just like yours, Ross.

Mine is a Graham Kerr... That shows you how long I've had it.. That will stay with me for the duration... :)

Ross

Mine is a Graham Kerr... That shows you how long I've had it.. That will stay with me for the duration... :)

Ross

I have one also and remember him well, watched him often when I was a kid. It’s simple straight to the point, dose what it’s supposed to and doesn’t take up much room.

Graham Kerr may be gone but his trademark lives on. I have a GK labeled bench scraper that is no more than 10 years old.

Then that means I must've bought it some time in the early '70s when I lived in Washington, DC. Sounds about right to me.

That is about the time I bought mine also. I have worn off his name and all the markings.

Wife of famed 'Galloping Gourmet' chef dies at 81; Graham Kerr had to make exit from crab festival -- Port Angeles Port Townsend Sequim Forks Jefferson County Clallam County Olympic Peninsula Daily NEWS

I use mine to scrape the counter top of all those single sugar grains that escape the sponge when I am wiping it down.

Ross

I have that bench scraper too and use it nearly every day.

In the background of the picture I think I see the brass pepper grinder the Frugal Gourmet (Jeff Smith, 1998 famous pervert https://current.org/1998/07/cooking-star-pays-plaintiffs-in-sexual-abuse-suits/) used on his show, and I have that too.

Last edited:
I have that bench scraper too and use it nearly every day.

In the background of the picture I think I see the brass pepper grinder the Frugal Gourmet (Jeff Smith, 1998 famous pervert https://current.org/1998/07/cooking-star-pays-plaintiffs-in-sexual-abuse-suits/) used on his show, and I have that too.

Interesting comments about GK, Steven, Andy and Addie.. :)

Kayelle... I hunted down my grinder way back when.. Its an Atlas, made in Greece... I can't really tie it to Jeff Smith but, I'm pretty certain that watching him and other cooking shows inspired me to 'have to have one'. My grandson is a good cook and I am giving the grinder to him, along with all my CI and other kitchen items I have had for so many years..

About Jeff Smith.. I still go by the Italian Sausage biscuit and gravy recipe he demonstrated on his show in the 70's or early 80's.
I was sad to find him to be other than he portrayed on his excellent cooking show.. :(

Ross

We have two GK bench scrapers, not from the '70s but from his last on air show. Something like "Mini Max". We also have a cookbook from the show.

We also have a double set of Jeff Smith cookbooks, one we purchased and one inherited when my oldest brother passed.

Last edited:
Well since we’ve gotten off the rails of topic I think I might just take the opportunity to say I’ve enjoyed watching both chefs over the years.

Gram with his butter, heavy cream and more of both. Hey I’m in and paying attention!

Jeff had a few recipes I noticed and applied to some of my favorite dishes. One such was roast spaghetti: basic ballpark small roast till done, shred, reduce stock, your own homemade tomato sauce. Add one cup beef stock from roast, reduce rethicken add one cup chicken stock simmer and rethicken and at end 1/4 cup or so more? Of. yes heavy cream. That body of sauce needs a heavier pasta, I like linguine and it seems to work well with it.

Your call, it’s your food and likes.

We had a small meat tenderizer that I tossed a couple years ago after I stuck it in the dishwasher and it rusted. It was ineffective anyway -- too small, too light, too little surface area.

Other day at Wally World, wife was buying baking ingredients for her holiday cookies. I stuck a nice full size meat tenderizer in the cart.

Wow, it's awesome. I put a fat piece of chicken breast on the cutting board and pounded it easily into a nice thin large piece. The old small one would take 4 times the work. I then seasoned it (cut in thirds) and seared it in the cast iron skillet. I toasted some bread and we had some nice chicken sandwiches (all 3 of us). I put some Hellman's mayo and fresh lettuce on them, too.

The side with the little teeth in it creates pockets in the meat for seasonings to get into.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom