Let's Talk TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you think Sheldon has some form of Asperger's, or is "on the spectrum," as my friend with a somewhat autistic son puts it?

Oh yeah. Have worked with many Sheldons, as well as much lower functioning spectrum kids.

Last edited:
I understand that humor is subjective but now I know for sure I'll never watch the BBT..:huh::rolleyes::mellow:

A shame, Kayelle. BBT is my absolute favorite sitcom. Even beats out Seinfeld!

We watch reruns of it all the time, and can always find something we missed.

A shame, Kayelle. BBT is my absolute favorite sitcom. Even beats out Seinfeld!

We watch reruns of it all the time, and can always find something we missed.

Us too Dawg! Sometimes I have to say to DH , "hey we just saw this one last week!" I draw the line there. I don't mind reruns, but enough is enough. There is no shortage of television available ;)

I never thought I would like the Big Bang Theory but I was channel surfing and came across it and to my surprise, it is a funny show.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
I loved it. It's almost the only thing I miss since I haven't had a television.

How would you categorize that show?

Reality

Fiction

Documentary

Docu-drama (emphasis on fictionalized drama)

I'm sure it's entertaining.

Reality.
A family of nine on a journey to find a new homestead.
They were kicked off national park land and moved to central Alaska to set up a new homestead.
All 7 children have never had TV, phones or electricity in their lives. They are a bit different as you can expect.
Its a good show and just came on a few weeks ago.

I really like these shows about Alaska and its people and their jobs.
The only thing I don't like is the uppity attitude of many of these so called "sustenance" survivors.
Many think they are above the rest of the population because they must rely on the land for every need.
Thing is, no one made them do these things. They have picked this life for themselves.
They could easily assimilate into society, but choose this life. Free will if you will.
They have no business looking down their noses at the rest of us. But many do.

Reality.

Its a good show and just came on a few weeks ago.

They have picked this life for themselves.
They could easily assimilate into society, but choose this life.

Since I'm not fond of 'reality' shows I've never watched this one. (I did get caught up in Deadliest Catch because a friend liked it. :rolleyes: Even that one, I felt was scripted or edited fairly heavily.)

But Alaskan Bush People---- I just read this on the Web:

"[...] endearing in the strangest ways, like Bear, 25, who runs everywhere, digs holes with his hands and climbs trees all the time. Or Bam Bam, 28, who calmly tells his angry father that building their cabin on a foundation of stacked rocks is not a great idea. And Matt comes off as personable and normal, except that he's 30 and still lives in a room with his parents and six siblings."

Then:

"On Tuesday, the show took an unexpected turn. At the beginning of the episode, a title card appeared, stating: "The Discovery Channel was given permission to document the life of a secluded Bush family. During production, an incident occurred and filming was stopped." According to the episode, someone in the Copper River Valley did not like the Discovery Channel or the Browns being in town, and after multiple threats to both, they came onto the Browns' property and began shooting at them. There's camera footage of the supposed late-night altercation, but then the show picks up again months later after the family has sold their property and moved back to Ketchikan to live on a boat."

Reality Check: 'Alaskan Bush People' takes strange turn | Reality Check | ADN.com

Did you see that?

I rather agree with you---- there's no need to have survivalists or sustenance adherents feel superior. Some of them might even be doing it to avoid the law. :LOL:

I, too, like to hear about/read about Alaska. I almost moved there many decades ago.

Yes, I saw it. I have watched every episode. The boat they were living on has sank.
I will not tell you anymore in case you might want to watch it.

But I am two shows past the altercation in central Alaska.

I would suspect that folks like that tend to be anti-social and cannot function in a normal society setting. Of course I can say this having never seeing the program.;) But just reading about them here, tells me a lot. They don't want to pay rent, taxes, utilities or any other normal bill that the rest of us have. After all, they aren't going to be suckers to big business like the rest of us. They are going to beat the system.

Are their school age children being home schooled? Is the parent capable or even have enough knowledge to even home school them? :angel:

I would suspect that folks like that tend to be anti-social and cannot function in a normal society setting. Of course I can say this having never seeing the program.;) But just reading about them here, tells me a lot. They don't want to pay rent, taxes, utilities or any other normal bill that the rest of us have. After all, they aren't going to be suckers to big business like the rest of us. They are going to beat the system.

Are their school age children being home schooled? Is the parent capable or even have enough knowledge to even home school them? :angel:

And what will they do if one of the family needs an operation---- appendicitis? broken leg?

Who will pay for that? Or will they just let Bear dig a hole, as he seems to love to do, that's deep enough to bury the person in when s/he dies---- while enjoying their freedom to live as they wish?

I am watching The World Wars on The History Channel. A three part series they originally broadcast on Memorial Day.

They have just started the second part. I hope it goes better than the first part.
It's the (bleep) History Channel for you know who's sake! Do you think they could show the Germans shooting German rifles?! Or the Americans walking with MacArthur shooting American rifles?! Everybody is shooting the British Lee Enfield. It's driving me nuts. Was that the only milsurp they could find? Oh wait, they did show Hitler as a corporal in WWI firing an American 1903 Springfield from the treches... :mad: sheesh. Major screwups.

Nope! The Japanese are carrying Lee Enfields, too, instead of their own Arisakas. At least the first time they showed them.
I gotta look for a thread on this program. I can't believe the simple things they are getting wrong. Makes me wonder on the key points.

I am watching The World Wars on The History Channel. A three part series they originally broadcast on Memorial Day.

They have just started the second part. I hope it goes better than the first part.
It's the (bleep) History Channel for you know who's sake! Do you think they could show the Germans shooting German rifles?! Or the Americans walking with MacArthur shooting American rifles?! Everybody is shooting the British Lee Enfield. It's driving me nuts. Was that the only milsurp they could find? Oh wait, they did show Hitler as a corporal in WWI firing an American 1903 Springfield from the treches... :mad: sheesh. Major screwups.

I'll watch almost anything about the World Wars, but esp. # 2. I'm not knowledgeable enough to notice the different rifles but there's always an expert to point those things out. (Not sarcasm, pac,!)

I have those shows recorded, but unwatched yet.

Are you saying that the series was making a point about the fact that the Germans and Japanese were carrying British guns? Or was that something you noticed because of your knowledge about guns?

It's something I noticed, Cave. I try to pick out the different weapons and was hoping to see (for instance) the transition from the German Gewehr 98 to the K98, not them not even using German rifles at all. It's one of those things that whoever there advisor for authenticity was clearly dropped the ball on.
From what I read after I googled my vent they were inaccurate on several key things. You're much better off (for accuracy) watching the black and white footage on the wars on the Military channel (or whatever they call it now... American Heroes I think). I didn't even bother finishing the three part series.

It's something I noticed, Cave. I try to pick out the different weapons and was hoping to see (for instance) the transition from the German Gewehr 98 to the K98, not them not even using German rifles at all. It's one of those things that whoever there advisor for authenticity was clearly dropped the ball on.
From what I read after I googled my vent they were inaccurate on several key things. You're much better off (for accuracy) watching the black and white footage on the wars on the Military channel (or whatever they call it now... American Heroes I think). I didn't even bother finishing the three part series.

I see, and thanks for replying. That's the trouble with being more or less an expert on something (you and rifles)---- you notice all those things. :(

I see, and thanks for replying. That's the trouble with being more or less an expert on something (you and rifles)---- you notice all those things. :(

Or someone with "gourmet fresh food" taste buds that can't enjoy the *regular* food us commoners eat.
I can only imagine it's just as frustrating as watching inaccurate history portrayal :rolleyes:

I can only imagine it's just as frustrating as watching inaccurate history portrayal :rolleyes:

Since much of what we were taught in school about history was inaccurate then it follows that history on TV would be the same with the added problem of portraying everything in one hour programs and in keeping with the sponsors point of view. :ohmy:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom