My proposed new house

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looking more and more like a home! I love the color and shading in the walls. It's so cozy and inviting.

Hope you had fun shopping! I know I love to pick up new things for a new place.

Beth, this is so beautiful! You're going to be so very happy for the rest of your life there!

Your house makes our new Catina look like an overblown outhouse. What will be the first thing you cook in your new home? Do you have a name for your new home?

To me, as I've seen the photos, it looks like Serenity.

With love,
~Cat

I LOVE the walls .. they are spectacular. And that arched doorway ... and the marble .. it's all so beautiful !!!

It is very exciting indeed. I don't ask the builder anymore when I might move in because I have learned...he doesn't know! His last guess passed 3 weeks ago.

The marble bath counter top is one of several serendipitous decisions that have occurred during this building process. The material was supposed to be granite. I have been working with the woman at the local tile store for almost a year now and she knows my color scheme and sensibilities. When I went in to give the okay for the granite piece, she wanted me to look at this marble slab that was left over from someone else's project. I knew immediately that it would work much better than the granite piece. The vein of red in the marble is identical to the grouting color in the shower that is right next to the countertop. That red will also be repeated in the floor tile grout. The marble was also about half the price as the granite.

Aunt Bea, I am reminded of the 2 years, 7 months, 14 days and 7 hours my husband and I lived in an 8'x35' house trailer before we moved into our 3600 sq ft house in 1986. I am living in the same square footage, 280 sq ft, as that trailer and I am getting a bit cranky not being able to cook properly or have a place to eat meals. I'm going to cook and bake my little heart out when I get to move in. Cat, I will roast a chicken and some au gratin potatoes for my first meal there. Yikes, I'll be cooking in a brand new oven.. a Maytag gas range for those interested.
http://www.maytag.com/kitchen-1/cooking-2/ranges-3/-[MGR8775AS]-1106480/MGR8775AS/

I haven't thought about naming the house, but a Blessing might fit.

Oh Cooking Goddess, I do not like to shop. It did turn out to be a bit of fun but mostly the fun is the drive down and back from Santa Fe. Coming back you are climbing a mountain and once over the top, the Rio Grande Gorge is displayed in front of you; that sight will always be breathtaking. I did get everything on my list and it all coordinates in color with the light fixtures and cabinet pulls, oiled bronze I think it is called.

I am very happy with the walls and arch. I was nervous about the color but I think it has turned out well. The house has a lot of natural light so the darkish walls look good. And it is not unusual to have this color for walls.

Thank you all in sharing my joy!

I love the idea of a Blessing for the house. I would suggest two. Having the Navajo bless it also can't hurt. :angel:

...Oh Cooking Goddess, I do not like to shop. It did turn out to be a bit of fun but mostly the fun is the drive down and back from Santa Fe. Coming back you are climbing a mountain and once over the top, the Rio Grande Gorge is displayed in front of you; that sight will always be breathtaking. I did get everything on my list and it all coordinates in color with the light fixtures and cabinet pulls, oiled bronze I think it is called....
Beth, I am not a shopper either. But give me the opportunity to head to Lowe's and I am so there! I'm glad you were able to get all your errands done. Himself and I have gone through the building process three times and I have found joy in each event - along with the stress moments. Just don't try and drag me off to a department store. :glare:

Also, we've been to Santa Fe, spending two days and a night there about a dozen years ago. We were charmed, and it is a mystical part of our vast, lovely land. Quite different from OH, as this fellow native Buckeye can attest to.

I love the idea of a Blessing for the house. I would suggest two. Having the Navajo bless it also can't hurt. :angel:
I think Cat was suggesting "Blessing" as the name for Beth's new home.

I remember having our home blessed every year after Christmas, right around the Feast of the Epiphany. We had our house here blessed when we moved in, but I never did see a notice in the church bulletin posting a yearly invitation to call the church and schedule an annual blessing.

When I lived in Tacoma, I got involved in the "One on One" program at McNeil Island Federal Prison. You teach prisoners who have been incarcerated for a long time and about to be released, about living outside of the prison when they are released. They had a lot of Indian prisoners there. The prisoner I was assigned to told me that he got a Native American as a new cellmate one time. Before he would enter the cell, he did a dance and chant and blessed the cell before he would enter. The guard just stood there and waited until he was through. I thought it was weird. But the Federal Courts had ruled that it was part of their religion and they had the right to bless their cells. I remember one time when I was at the prison, I could hear all of the Native Americans holding a dance and chant of some sort. You could hear them all over the building. :angel:

Only two photos right now, I am on my laptop and I have not saved many photos to it. All the photos are on my desktop and it is not running properly right now. the first photo is of the newly laid bathroom tile floor and the other is of the kitchen, showing the range hood, custom cabinets and tile backsplash. The wood floor goes down starting Tuesday and will take about a week.

Attachments

• DSCN1711.jpg
    DSCN1711.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 147
  • DSCN1719.jpg
    DSCN1719.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 143
i'm loving the soft glow of the wood finish you selected, beth. it looks so warm, rich and lovely! what kind of wood is it? the mixed-size tiling looks fabulous too!

i'm loving the soft glow of the wood finish you selected, beth. it looks so warm, rich and lovely! what kind of wood is it? the mixed-size tiling looks fabulous too!

The kitchen and bathroom cabinets are made from vertical grain douglas fir. I think the interior doors and front door are also a douglas fir. I'll have to haul an interior door over to some cabinets and see how similar the stains are.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom