My proposed new house

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice counters, Beth! Do you have an overhang so you can have barstools?

Yes I do. I have on order two bar chairs that will closely match the Stickley spindle living room furniture I brought out from Ohio

Attachments

• DSCN1583.jpg
    DSCN1583.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 195
  • DSCN1586.jpg
    DSCN1586.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 186
Ethernet? Who needs Ethernet with wifi? Pesky cords...

The only thing that I use WIFI for are the laptops and tablets. Ethernet is so much faster and more stable. 2 Roku boxes, server, and home theater pc all hardwired. I push around a lot of bandwidth in my house and wifi doesn't always cut it. Any time I can hard wire, I'll do it! With that said, I've had to do a lot of work to make sure that it is invisible, I enjoy what the wires can do, but don't want to see them.

Thanks bakechef. My exact sentiments.

If I built a house there would be ethernet outlets EVERYWHERE!
But until then I'll live vicariously though Beth's new house!

I live in an old house and always wonder how i would build a brand new one. The first thing that always comes to mind is cabling.
For all the cables I have had to fish over and under walls, floors and ceilings makes me want to kick the builder for not doing these things BEFORE the walls were up.
I guess its because there were no such thing as Ethernet cable back then.

I'll see the electrician next week. Specifically, what can I ask him?

Beth. The walls are already up. So there is little you can do now without a change order and more cost.
Hopefully these things were discussed at the contract signing.
However, you are not in the house and cabling for data is still easier now than it would be once they are done.
You would have to decide if you really need it or not.
The reason I asked about these thing is because i did these things for a living for over 35 years.
The house is beautiful.

Thanks bakechef. My exact sentiments.

Beth. The walls are already up. So there is little you can do now without a change order and more cost.
Hopefully these things were discussed at the contract signing.
However, you are not in the house and cabling for data is still easier now than it would be once they are done.
You would have to decide if you really need it or not.
The reason I asked about these thing is because i did these things for a living for over 35 years.
The house is beautiful.

But what does she need to ask him? That was her question. Such as how much will it cost to have the wires run through the walls or can it all be done through the outside connection? What is involved in putting in the cable at this late date?

I personally would want the hard wire cable put in. Even if only as a backup. :angel:

I love the subway tiles! I really like how they are simple and classic and not something more trendy, they will look fresh for a long time to come. If I build a house, I want your input!

I love the subway tiles! I really like how they are simple and classic and not something more trendy, they will look fresh for a long time to come. If I build a house, I want your input!

I would love to help you bakechef. But I am afraid you would be disappointed.

I understood the most important part of building a house is the design phase so I took that part slowly and carefully. It started with choosing the architect and that turned out to be critical. Two people are most responsible for the look of my house; the architect and the interior designer. Here is a link about my architect.
Profiles: Art :: The Official Taos Vacation Guide :: Remarkable Women of Taos

I worked with Donna for months on the design and I am pleased with the work she did. Granted I am not one for trends and have closely followed the concept of voluntary simplicity throughout my adult life in life style and design and that concept is reflected in my house.

The interior designer was responsible for coordinating all the colors in and out of the house. She recommended the roof color, exterior stucco color, color of the interior walls, floor color, cabinet color, tile, tile grout, and door colors. It was my builder who suggested the sloped ceilings; I was going to have standard 8' ceilings. And my electrician, of all people, pointed out a few things having nothing to do with wiring, that made a significant difference.

It really was other people who were able to put my ideas into a home.

LOL, I don't have a clue what you are getting at with both these questions, nor do I know how to answer them:blush:. That was the department of my late husband. Now days, I hire folks who know the answers. My plan is to consult with the 5 other new home builders to find out how they handled the TV and Internet connections.

Meanwhile, I will try to upload some flooring photos from today..

gosh beth, (gush) can i please move in with you? i am very quiet, require little space, don't eat much, and pick up after myself. best of all is the positive feng shui i bring!:)

I would love to help you bakechef. But I am afraid you would be disappointed.

I understood the most important part of building a house is the design phase so I took that part slowly and carefully. It started with choosing the architect and that turned out to be critical. Two people are most responsible for the look of my house; the architect and the interior designer. Here is a link about my architect.
Profiles: Art :: The Official Taos Vacation Guide :: Remarkable Women of Taos

I worked with Donna for months on the design and I am pleased with the work she did. Granted I am not one for trends and have closely followed the concept of voluntary simplicity throughout my adult life in life style and design and that concept is reflected in my house.

The interior designer was responsible for coordinating all the colors in and out of the house. She recommended the roof color, exterior stucco color, color of the interior walls, floor color, cabinet color, tile, tile grout, and door colors. It was my builder who suggested the sloped ceilings; I was going to have standard 8' ceilings. And my electrician, of all people, pointed out a few things having nothing to do with wiring, that made a significant difference.

It really was other people who were able to put my ideas into a home.

I'm with you, I know what I like, but making it come to life is my biggest challenge! I would definitely need a designer.

Sounds like you have an awesome, helpful crew on this project. I can't wait to see the final result!

But what does she need to ask him? That was her question. Such as how much will it cost to have the wires run through the walls or can it all be done through the outside connection? What is involved in putting in the cable at this late date?

I personally would want the hard wire cable put in. Even if only as a backup. :angel:

I would want the cabling too. This is discussed with the electrical contractor.
The outside connection has little to do with interior cabling. Ethernet cable is the standard today. It is your connection to the outside world, your electronics and also your connection to those within the home.
It also can be used for music and television. Its similar to "cable wired" homes and apartments for just TV.
All new electronic equipment including Tv's now have ethernet ports and its getting hard to find coax support in many devices today.
I had to buy modulators to connect TV's in other rooms, even though they are cable wired.

Prices are not the same in differing areas of the country and may not even be comparable in her market.
Its all about how many access points you want and material/labors costs.
Cables can be brought in from below and above, so tearing up walls is not a concern. Its just much easier to do before the walls are up.

Beth would need to discuss this with the people she trusts including the electrical contractor.
If its to be done, it should be done now. Before she moves in.
As to the electrical wiring, I was just curious as to the type used in her locale. She can ask the contractor what method was used. Its either NM cable or similar or conduit.
I am glad to help in any way I can.

Once again, very nice home there Beth.

Last edited:
Roll_Bones, does this photo answer any of your questions? I believe this box is for my TV and computers, but I may be incorrect:blink:

Attachments

• DSCN0678.jpg
    DSCN0678.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 190
Roll_Bones, does this photo answer any of your questions? I believe this box is for my TV and computers, but I may be incorrect:blink:
All of our ethernet cables are that same colour of blue. I suspect that your house is wired with ethernet, especially if that box is for TV and computers.

All of our ethernet cables are that same colour of blue. I suspect that your house is wired with ethernet, especially if that box is for TV and computers.

That would be divine if that is the case. I certainly am not looking to do anything to delay moving in or increasing costs!

I have taken almost 2000 photos of the construction and will post one that may answer the wiring question.

Attachments

• DSCN0620.jpg
    DSCN0620.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 176
Beth, I love seeing your new home and its progress. It's beautiful!

I'm not very big. Can I squeeze in between you and Ogress in your kitchen?

Beth, I love seeing your new home and its progress. It's beautiful!

I'm not very big. Can I squeeze in between you and Ogress in your kitchen?

You bet you can!

I just realized something. There is almost 7 feet between the opposing counters in the kitchen. Now I know why my bedroom and bathroom are so small:LOL:. I hadn't realized how much square footage had been devoted to the kitchen and pantry:huh:.

Last edited:

I was thinking the same thing, those blue wires don't look like coax cable for cable tv, more like Ethernet.

I just realized something. There is almost 7 feet between the opposing counters in the kitchen. Now I know why my bedroom and bathroom are so small:LOL:. I hadn't realized how much square footage had been devoted to the kitchen and pantry:huh:.
Well then, I know where MY cot is going! :LOL: Or...you have room to add a nice center island if you so desire some day.

And CG will have room for her cot, I can squeeze in, and we will be so happy in your nice new home we won't leave, and so you will have a nice new home with nice new houseguests!

You are so very lucky, yes? Ha!

With love,
~Cat

I'm confused. I am seeing some counter tops that look dark, and some that look white. Am I seeing 2 different rooms?

I'm confused. I am seeing some counter tops that look dark, and some that look white. Am I seeing 2 different rooms?

The kitchen countertops are dark but I have very few photos of them. They were covered over with cardboard to protect them from the construction process and have since been covered with a fine white dust from the tile cutting for the bathroom and fireplace hearth.

I have lost access to my entire house construction photo folder so can't upload any photos until my computer guy comes to the rescue:wacko:, hopefully tomorrow.

Ok, now I looked back at the picture I thought had white countertops and I see that it is paper covering them. I can see part of the dark countertop peeking out on the right had side.

Yes. That is the hub. Or connection box if you will. Those are Ethernet cables and at least one should go to each room. Make sure you have them going to every room. And don't forget the kitchen.
Looks like high quality work too!

That would be divine if that is the case. I certainly am not looking to do anything to delay moving in or increasing costs!
I have taken almost 2000 photos of the construction and will post one that may answer the wiring question.

The photo is plenty. Your wiring is called NM or Romex (most common) and is the standard building cable used today. I do notice one thing though you might want to ask the electrical contractor.

Those yellow colored cables are 12 awg. Ask the contractor why so many 20 amp circuits. I just want to hear why? Yellow (20 amp) cable is more expensive than white (15 amp) cable and it seems he used yellow through out the house while white (15 amp) can be used in many areas of the home.

This is no big deal as sometimes contractors use what they have available on their truck or van.
This is why I use yellow (20amp) here at home. But when I do a paying job, I use both.

I love the house and the mechanical. Looks like high quality.
Looks very good Beth and it looks very professional.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom