Names That are "No More"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Btw, the only person that I've ever heard with this name was my Irish grandmother: Dehlia. And her brother was Fergal.

Here's my Saami grandmother's family's names. Sadly, none of the names are actually Saami, just regular Swedish names from the 1800s.

Nils
Kristina Magdalena
Elsa Kristina
Anna Maria
Nils Leonard
Johan Adolf
Anna Rebecka
Isak Amandus
Maria Ingeborg
Sara Dorotea
Hans Amandus
Hedvig Elvira

Linda is still somewhat popular in Hispanic communities here. I know a few young people named Linda, I suppose due to the translation.

Yes, Linda is quite common down here in Texas, for the reasons you mentioned.

CD

I have a neighbor named Ferdinand. His son's name is Nnaemeka (actually not hard to say, if you don't overthink it).

On of my customers has a toddler girl they named Goldie.

CD

My nephew and his wife dug up an oldie for their daughter - now 6 years old. Harriet!

I haven't heard of another since Ozzie and..............

I hate having a common first name. Many years ago all but one of my bowling team shared the same name. Hey, you're up Kathy!! That's when I started using KL, (Kathy-Lee)

Last edited:
Taxy, Linda is a beautiful name. It seems to be making kind of a comeback - I know 2 girls named Linda, and they are both under 10 years old. :)

My dad wanted to name me Susan, but my mom was stuck on Cheryl, and that name won.:LOL: From what I remember in school classrooms growing up, there were very few other Cheryls.

Last edited:
Taxy, Linda is a beautiful name. It seems to be making kind of a comeback - I know 2 girls named Linda, and they are both under 10 years old. :)

My dad wanted to name me Susan, but my mom was stuck on Cheryl, and that name won.:LOL: From what I remember in school classrooms growing up, there were very few other Cheryls.
There were only a few Cheryls when I was going to school. OTOH, I can't remember a class with fewer than 3 Lindas and there were usually more. I went to a high school with close to 3,000 students. It wasn't worth the effort of turning my head when I heard someone yell "Linda". Almost no chance that I was the intended Linda. BTW, I do like my name.

Sounds like the same as Kayelle said....I knew lots of Kathys. But no Kathy-Lee's. I love that name, too!

My older daughter's name is Rebecca, and she's now 42. Surprisingly, she was usually the only Rebecca in her classes growing up. When she first started school, I figured there would be more. I only named her that because I had always loved that name.

My younger daughter, 32, was named after my grandmother Ina Mae, and my Uncle Victor. They were such positive influences in my life. So when she was born, she was named Victoria Mae. :)

Last edited:
When my older daughter was born in 1971 we named her Deborah. When are younger daughter was born in 1975 we named Jennifer. Unbeknownst to us, both names turned out to be the most popular names for the years of their birth.

My wife's name is Lucy, a fairly uncommon one today.

My father's name is Richard, so when my wife was pregnant and we were deciding what to mame our son, I wanted to name him after my father.

My wife shot that one down right away. She said there was no way that she was going to listen to me say, "Lucy, Little Ricky, I'm home!" in a heavy Spanish accent the rest of our lives...

My wife's name is Lucy, a fairly uncommon one today.

My father's name is Richard, so when my wife was pregnant and we were deciding what to mame our son, I wanted to name him after my father.

My wife shot that one down right away. She said there was no way that she was going to listen to me say, "Lucy, Little Ricky, I'm home!" in a heavy Spanish accent the rest of our lives...
:LOL::ROFLMAO:
And I'm pretty sure you would have. :D

Spike's middle name is "Milton." After my father whose middle name was Laurel. My youngest daughter was Maureen Rita, Pirate's middle name is Fletcher. After his paternal grandmother. Another family name that will never see the light of day again is Minerva. The Roman goddess of Wisdom.

My sister and I gave all our kids middle names of older relatives.

Every year Social Security publishes the most popular names for any given name.

Many years ago as a teenager, I read that if a child is given a strong Anglo name, they stand a better chance of being successful in life in this country. All my kids have strong names. And they all have been very successful in their chosen field. So maybe there was a smattering of truth in the article.

It seems we Americans do not like trying to pronounce difficult foreign names. Names that are probably very successful in the European countries.

Until the singer came along, for years I was the only Adele I ever heard of. And the next person who asks me if I was named after her or she after me, is going to find a big bruise on their shin bone. Actually Adele is a French name. Not a drop of French blood in my family. A name my mother fell in love with, I guess.

Last edited:
...Until the singer came along, for years I was the only Adele I ever heard of...
Ah, but you were my second. My best friend back home is named Adele. We met 39 years ago this month at my first Mothers of Twins Club meeting. We've been through a lot together. I miss her dearly. Just one more reason to start avoiding DC like the plague and get our house cleaned out, fixed up, and on the market. This Year!

Ah, but you were my second. My best friend back home is named Adele. We met 39 years ago this month at my first Mothers of Twins Club meeting. We've been through a lot together. I miss her dearly. Just one more reason to start avoiding DC like the plague and get our house cleaned out, fixed up, and on the market. This Year!

It sounds like she is a very lovely lady. Step one. Every time you go to the grocery store, get some boxes and pack your memories first. Those are often the one thing you look at the least. So you won't be tempted to keep opening the box to look at them.

Step Two: Go in your closet where all your clothing is and get rid of everything that is too big or small. Do the same with hubby's clothing. Do the same with your bedroom dressers. The "when I lose some of this weight" never really happens. Clothes that are out of style and will never wear again. Right now I have a closet full of XL clothing. I am now down to a size 6 or 4. Depending on the style. Little by little I am tossing a lot of stuff. And come summer time I will be investing in a whole new wardrobe. I didn't lose all that weight with just wishing. I did it the hard way. I got very sick. You don't have to do that.

I guarantee when you see those boxes start to pile up, it will give you the incentive to really get busy with getting ready to move. Save the kitchen to last. It is much harder to get rid of those items. Save what you really never use for a yard sale. (More money for moving.)

I once had a neighbor and her husband's company transferred him from Ohio to Massachusetts at the plant they also had here. She handed the keys to the moving folks, walked out the door with her five kids, and at the expense of the company, they all flew to Boston. The company put them all up at a hotel here for two days until the moving truck arrived. She moved into the other side of the duplex I lived in and we became friends immediately. I helped her unpack the boxes. The movers had even pack a small jar that she always kept on her kitchen sink and would scraped any food that was still on the plates. They even wrapped that jar up and pack it as if it was fine china.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom