Our Kitchens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's my small, but very functional kitchen.

Custom REAL oak cabinets. The pot hanging rack was homemade -- and very necessary. The fridge is ugly, but it is 23 years old and still works. I just can't make myself replace a working refrigerator. The stove, fridge and sink form a nice work triangle. It is an eat-in kitchen, so I have my 90-year old oak table in the background -- the cabinets were made to match that table. My grandparents bought that table new when they got married.

CD

CD, I am in love with your kitchen! Like the hanging rack, but I'd worry about the pots, skillets, etc. getting a bit dusty. I sure wish we could see pics of the kitchen table. I bet it's spectacular! Oh, and by the way... I don't think your kitchen is small. Like you stated, it is a very functional kitchen.

CD, I am in love with your kitchen! Like the hanging rack, but I'd worry about the pots, skillets, etc. getting a bit dusty. I sure wish we could see pics of the kitchen table. I bet it's spectacular! Oh, and by the way... I don't think your kitchen is small. Like you stated, it is a very functional kitchen.

DG, I learned very early, be careful what you wish for. My girlfriend's husband worked in a metal shop. My sister had a pot rack and I mentioned to my girlfriend how I wish I had one. She unknowing to me mentioned my wish to her husband. He made me a beautiful one out of heavy sheeted unlaquered copper. I fell in love with it. He even installed it.

Hmm, it needs dusting all ready? Dang, I can't reach any of my pots with ease. I will have to buy a stool. He hung it too high. Hey, my pot rack needs polishing all ready. I spent more time taking care of that pot rack. All I wanted was a black iron one like my sister had. And to have it placed lower in an area I could reach it with ease. My girlfriend and her husband meant well, but I never mentioned something I needed or wanted again to her.

Here's an update on my little 1920s kitchen. My goal was to retain the "old timey" feel of the kitchen, without spending a lot on a remodel. I'm building a garage in the spring and most of my budget is allocated for that, so a major kitchen reno was not in the cards right now. That said, it's pretty surprising what a fresh coat of paint and a few upgrades can do to dress up the place. I also got a small bonus from work that covered new appliances, as well as a butcher block prep table that should be delivered early next week, and which will go next to the stove.

Down the road, I would love to replace the flooring and counter tops.

A few before/after photos below.

4mZvJC8.jpg

uXfhUMp.jpg

My barnboard wall shelf.
khoEwnW.jpg

These stools were a thrift shop find. They actually inspired the wall color I decided to use.
z3TMZFY.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful job, Steve! You sure do have a knack for decorating and upgrading while still keeping the old style charm. Well done.

Thank you so much for sharing your progress, and hope to see more!

Same here. I don't have a lot of counter space and it is starting to fill up. I could never find anything in the utensil drawer so I've got jars with Wooden Spoons, Spatulas, Whisks, Small Strainers lined up on the counter. And now I'm running out of space in the drawer again.

caseydog, I would love to have an overhead rack for my pots and pans, just no space. I take it you (and yours) are on the tall side? I guess those pans have to be high or everyone would smack their heads on them. Or is it just the angle?

I'm 5'11", and I can reach everything. I have a friend who is 6'8", and wanted to make sure he wouldn't hit his head on any pots.

I made the rack from pieces and parts from a hardware store. I got the pot hooks from some cooking store, I don't recall which one. Probably BB&B. They are easy to find.

I think I put around 40-bucks into making it. Pot racks from retail cooking stores are ridiculously expensive, and are usually oval or square. I prefer a simple straight rack.

CD

Last edited:

Yes, the pots and pans do get dusty. That's the only downside. But, it doesn't bug me. I use them enough to keep them relatively clean. I hate having pots and pans stacked five high in a cabinet, so a little dust doesn't bother me.

I'll try and remember to post a shot of the table. It is very simple. Solid oak similar in color to my cabinets.

CD

Steve, it looks like you share my love of BOLD colors. That green is very nice.

CD
Thanks! There's something about this old house that seems to like bright, happy colors.

As I was prepping the kitchen for painting, I took the time to peel away a few of the old layers of paint around the edges. At some point in time, this kitchen has been magenta, canary yellow, cerulean blue, and a color I can only describe as "dreamsicle orange." I'm the first to paint it green, as far as I can tell. But it seems to work.

Looks great, Steve. I'm impressed, as I have no decorating skills. If I was responsible, our kitchen would not look anywhere near as good as your "before" pictures. There are reasons why my wife is in charge of decorating and I'm in charge of cooking. I defer to her on the decor and she eats whatever I put on the table.

Thanks! There's something about this old house that seems to like bright, happy colors.

As I was prepping the kitchen for painting, I took the time to peel away a few of the old layers of paint around the edges. At some point in time, this kitchen has been magenta, canary yellow, cerulean blue, and a color I can only describe as "dreamsicle orange." I'm the first to paint it green, as far as I can tell. But it seems to work.

I think there is a practical reason for bold colors in a kitchen. I think it does something to the brain, making your cooking more creative and, like the kitchen color, bolder.

The builder painted my whole house the standard builder "off-white." Changing my kitchen to a bold "pumpkin" orange did really change my cooking "mojo."

My mom hates bold colors. That's a bonus... if it keeps her out of my house, I consider it a "win." LOL

CD

Steve, I had a kitchen painted just about that shade of green in the '60's and I loved it. It was a time when bold wallpaper was in vogue, and a big wall was papered in big bold green artichokes. It made quite the statement. Wish I had a picture.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom