"Petite Shoulder Tender"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chave982

Senior Cook
What kind of beef cut is this? I bought it at the grocery store, pre-marinated in rosemary balsamic. Tried to look up recipes for it, but can't find any. It's about half a pound.

Is this just another name for a specific cut of beef?

Is what you bought like this?

If so, that’s a relatively new cut.

A premium but lean beef cut that made its initial debut in fine restaurants, the Petite Tender provides a lower-cost option to cuts such as the New York Strip, Rib Eye, Filet Mignon and Porterhouse. This cut — also known as the Shoulder Tender, Shoulder Petite Tender and Beef Shoulder Filet — is a small, individual muscle located in the shoulder area.

I bought one not too long ago and grilled it to medium rare. It was fantastic. And for leftovers, it made the best cold roast beef sandwiches I think I’ve ever had. Just slice the meat really thin and make your sandwich!

Is what you bought like this?

If so, that’s a relatively new cut.

A premium but lean beef cut that made its initial debut in fine restaurants, the Petite Tender provides a lower-cost option to cuts such as the New York Strip, Rib Eye, Filet Mignon and Porterhouse. This cut — also known as the Shoulder Tender, Shoulder Petite Tender and Beef Shoulder Filet — is a small, individual muscle located in the shoulder area.

I bought one not too long ago and grilled it to medium rare. It was fantastic. And for leftovers, it made the best cold roast beef sandwiches I think I’ve ever had. Just slice the meat really thin and make your sandwich!

Yup, that's it! I ended up pan-searing it, then roasting it in the oven to medium-rare...absolutely fantastic! I'll also be making a cold sandwich with the rest, with some lettuce, tomato, and horseradish.

Yup, that's it! I ended up pan-searing it, then roasting it in the oven to medium-rare...absolutely fantastic! I'll also be making a cold sandwich with the rest, with some lettuce, tomato, and horseradish.

To be as relatively inexpensive as it is, I was really surprised at how good it was. And you’ll LOVE the sandwiches! The only downside is it’s hard to find. So far, I’ve only found it at Wal-Mart, and even that is hit and miss depending on stocking and inventory. I’ll definitely be cooking this again….if I can find it! :chef:

I saw this just after I started a new thread asking the same question about what the heck it is? Thanks , I may just try it.

Back
Top Bottom