Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Equifax marketing strategy?

Just curious. Does anyone else's ear ache when they hear Equifax using their own security breach to market their own identity theft protection business?

Just curious. Does anyone else's ear ache when they hear Equifax using their own security breach to market their own identity theft protection business?

Yeah. What was that all about? On my income, if anyone tries to use my information, they are in for a shock. Other than my SS number, there is nothing there of value to anyone.

When you talk to the other person, do it in a whisper. Just stand there and do it over and over. Sooner or later they get the idea on their own. Make like you are yelling, but still do it in a whisper.

When I was three months old, I had a massive infection in both ears. It took surgery on both ears with removal of the mastoids to clear up the problem. As a result it left me with somewhat of a small hearing loss. Out of habit, I tend to turn my head and tilt it so I can hear out of my good ear. Even though I have hearing still in both ears.

I too tend to have the TV loud. And I am unaware of it. But I get a reminder when Pirate whispers to me. Of course I sit there going, "Huh? Huh"? over and over. I get the idea a lot faster now. I turn down the TV and he just says "Thank you" in a voice loud enough so I can hear it.

By next year I will need a hearing aid in my bad ear.

When you talk to the other person, do it in a whisper. Just stand there and do it over and over. Sooner or later they get the idea on their own. Make like you are yelling, but still do it in a whisper...

I'd guess the "other person' knows he's losing his hearing. Playing games with him will only be annoying and anger him. I know it would anger me.

My body can't decide whether it wants to be a teenager or an old lady, and my face is caught right in the middle. I'm pulling hairs out of moles while I treat acne on my nose. What gives, anyway?

I'd guess the "other person' knows he's losing his hearing. Playing games with him will only be annoying and anger him. I know it would anger me.

Constant nagging does not work. It only creates feelings of anger. Calling attention to his obvious disability does. But it has to be done in a not so obvious way. Nobody wants to admit to having a disability. Visible or not. And when you are up there in years, it is even harder. You are beginning to have to face your own mortality.

"Asking" him has not worked so far. So CG needs another avenue to consider. Most folks are considerate to everyone except for close family members. Family member are just taken for granted that they will put up with all of those irritating habits. So she needs to take a course that perhaps one of his friends would use.

But even if his friends were to adjust to his disability, sooner or later they get tired of it and little by little his friends stop including him in conversation. And the patience of the family begins to wear thin. Hearing loss is a disability that is not visible. Not like an amputated limb would be. For those types of disabilities, the person HAS to face it. And they have to work hard to overcome it. You find that everyone around them bend over backwards to be of help and heap praise for every single accomplishment. But not for the person who loses his hearing and refuses to admit it. That person sooner or later is going to hear his family and friends yelling at him to go and get a hearing aid. And if that doesn't work, then perhaps CG could go and get some professional help on ways to convince Himself that he needs a hearing aid.

When a person has a an invisible disability, they feel like they have been set aside from others. And it doesn't have to be that way. If only he would face the truth about his hearing.

I'm pretty sure this thread title is "Petty Vents" and not "I'm asking for advice", but let me check. *looks up*checks title*shakes head* Yup, still "Petty Vents".

Addie, I'm not looking for advice. And the LAST thing I would do would be whisper. Gah, that just seems like a mean thing to do. Honestly is the best policy. And, honestly, I wasn't looking for your advice.

Himself has been aware of his poor hearing in one ear since he had a firecracker go off in his hand when he was 8. Fortunately, he still has all of his finger. :LOL: However, when he was pounding away in the kitchen cabinet installing the nice pull-out tray he made for my large pots, he did a number on his ears. Slowly, very slowly, it's been improving. He's pretty sure he won't get back to where he was, though. Most of the time he will wear headphones so that he can keep the volume low and I don't hear the show. If I'm in the kitchen listening to something online, I don't even notice the sounds from the living room for some shows. Except for those dam sitcoms. The characters speak in whispers, then the fake laugh track sound level practically breaks an eardrum. It was extra annoying tonight. Still, it was less annoying than what it would be like to whisper to someone as if you were talking at a normal volume. :glare:

You, me, and the guy in my living room chair. ;)

My son gets told off at work for not hearing what people say to him. You’d think it was a crime. He doesn’t like the idea that he could be deaf at 31, but has an appointment with an audiologist next Saturday.

Gillian

Mine is with myself! I have super sensitive hearing as well but I'll be darned if I can understand what they mumble/whisper/say on TV.

They have so much loud background noises it blocks out their speech. I don't care if they are imitating 'real life' - I want to hear what is being said! I am not really there in 'real life' - I am sitting in a chair in a room far, far away, trying to be entertained. So please feel free to take poetic license with these shows.

Someone with exceptionally sharp hearing should not live with someone who is having hearing issues...but won't get his ears checked. :glare:

Ha, here's a story you'll enjoy CG.

Hubby complains to the Dr. that his wife needs to be convinced she's hard of hearing. Dr. tells him to test her hearing by talking to her at different places in the house. Hubby goes home and at the door he says "Hi Honey, whats for dinner?", no answer. He yells from the living room "hey Honey, what's for dinner", no answer. He goes into the kitchen, "hey Honey, what's for dinner?" she replies, "For the third time, it's chicken."

SC has been wearing two hearing aids for a couple of years now. Apparently, without two aids, a person can't tell where the sound is coming from. He sees his audiologist every six months, for fine custom tuning. Too many people never do that, and the aids end up in a drawer with the claim they are worthless. The expert audiologist even fine tuned them to my normal speaking voice. They best part is he now says I no longer mumble. Funny I've never been told by anyone else that I mumble. :rolleyes: He's very happy with them, and so am I!! Now he can no longer claim he didn't hear me, but only that he wasn't listening. ;)

He takes them out in the evening, and watches TV with "TV Ears", a wonderful device. My hearing is ok but TV had become a problem for me before we purchased a speaker called Bose Sound Bar that can enhance the dialog spoken. What a difference!

Hubby complains to the Dr. that his wife needs to be convinced she's hard of hearing. Dr. tells him to test her hearing by talking to her at different places in the house. Hubby goes home and at the door he says "Hi Honey, whats for dinner?", no answer. He yells from the living room "hey Honey, what's for dinner", no answer. He goes into the kitchen, "hey Honey, what's for dinner?" she replies, "For the third time, it's chicken."

My dad got hearing aids, and my mom later started to suspect that he was turning them off to ignore her... until she got hearing aids. :LOL:

CD

I have slight hearing loss but as I have gotten older very loud noise bothers me for some reason. I cover my ears every time an ambulance, fire truck, or a Harley passes by.
I get it. For the past ten years I won't go to a movie theatre. The commercials at the beginning drive me absolutely buggy. The noise is so loud that I'm in pain even with my fingers in my ears.

Hubby complains to the Dr. that his wife needs to be convinced she's hard of hearing. Dr. tells him to test her hearing by talking to her at different places in the house. Hubby goes home and at the door he says "Hi Honey, whats for dinner?", no answer. He yells from the living room "hey Honey, what's for dinner", no answer. He goes into the kitchen, "hey Honey, what's for dinner?" she replies, "For the third time, it's chicken." ...
That was cute, Kayelle, thank you! Another cute story: when our kids were little, I thought our son has a hearing problem since he didn't seem to hear me when I spoke to him. Our pediatrician suggested an M&M test: have a bowl of M&Ms on the kitchen counter, then drop one or two back into the bowl as if you were getting some for yourself (OR actually get some for yourself!). If he has no hearing problem, he'll come into the kitchen for some M&Ms. Sure enough, both kids had great hearing. Our son only had a listening problem. :LOL:

Anyway, thanks so much for the suggestion about the Bose soundbar. Dialog in shows is an issue in this house. Maybe if we had that he could make out what the characters are saying. It's not a problem when we're watching TV together, but Himself watches way more TV shows than I do. Maybe I need a Mom Cave. :LOL:

I lost a lot of my hearing when I had an inner ear infection decades ago. Along with not being able to hear a lot, I also have non-stop ringing in my ears. I usually get along OK, but sometimes I have to tell people I'm hard of hearing and ask them to please speak up. Some people are very soft spoken.

I'm also a little ticked. If I had known I was going to lose my hearing so early in life and from an infection yet, I would have cranked the rock 'n' roll up a lot louder when I was younger.

Back
Top Bottom