Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How many of you use up an entire bag of 8 hamburger or onion buns before they get tossed? Buns should be sold in 4 paks too, not just 8 paks. Hot dog buns are slightly different in that I usually use them up. Not so with large burger and onion buns. I buy the onion buns for when I cook up a roast. Thin beef slices, with Swiss cheese, mashed avocado, lettuce, onions, tomato slices, mayo and a little mustard...all on an onion bun.

With 8 onion buns in a pak, they just don't last until I want to make that sandwich again. The same goes with 8 paks of large hamburger buns. Unless you plan on having a family BBQ and use up all the buns, they go moldy. Yes, I've wrapped two onion buns and two large hamburger buns and placed them in the freezer. Hell, they always thaw out shrunken.

How many of you use up an entire bag of 8 hamburger or onion buns before they get tossed? Buns should be sold in 4 paks too, not just 8 paks. Hot dog buns are slightly different in that I usually use them up. Not so with large burger and onion buns. I buy the onion buns for when I cook up a roast. Thin beef slices, with Swiss cheese, mashed avocado, lettuce, onions, tomato slices, mayo and a little mustard...all on an onion bun.

With 8 onion buns in a pak, they just don't last until I want to make that sandwich again. The same goes with 8 paks of large hamburger buns. Unless you plan on having a family BBQ and use up all the buns, they go moldy. Yes, I've wrapped two onion buns and two large hamburger buns and placed them in the freezer. Hell, they always thaw out shrunken.

Try wrapping the frozen rolls in a paper towel and zapping them in the microwave for approx. 20 seconds. It will require a little experimentation to find the exact time for your microwave and brand of rolls. I wrap and zap frozen Arnold sandwich thins for 12 seconds and they are perfect every time.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Will do. I knew to wrap them in foil after wrapping them in plastic wrap.

I still say we're gonna see a 60 minutes expose about the bakery industry before long.

That is one powerful entity. Free Masons like.

Last edited:
I freeze burger and hot dog buns and deli rolls. When I need one, I wrap it in a dampened paper towel and microwave it for 20-25 seconds. It is soft and warm and ready to go.

It's bad enough I have to dust my room. Today I had to dust the TV, the etagere, and the floors of the shadowbox so I could measure it for curtains. I hate housework, even in miniature.

I think this is what's called a first world problem.

We buy individual buns from the fresh bakery at the supermarket. That way we can buy the number we need at the time, and they're better too. Bread products take up far too much room in our freezer.

Last edited:
It's bad enough I have to dust my room. Today I had to dust the TV, the etagere, and the floors of the shadowbox so I could measure it for curtains. I hate housework, even in miniature.

I think this is what's called a first world problem.

Thank you for the laugh. I really needed it about this time of day. I will call the UN for you and see if they could hire a housekeeper for you. Will you also need a Nanny?

I'm not a baseball fan. I think it's about as exciting as watching paint dry most of the time. By the time the pitchers and batters waste all that time spitting, adjusting hats, shoes, gloves and crotches I'm about to doze off. (I hope you'll still like me CG..)

My Daddy was a big Dodger fan and he died in 1988, the last time they were in the World Series, so in honor of him I'll have to watch at least some of it.
We've had wind and heat around 100 degrees in So. Cal today, so the fans and players will be dang hot with the game starting at 5pm tomorrow.

Last edited:
I love baseball, Kayelle, and I won't watch it either. Unless I need a nap, that is. Then I fall asleep quickly. Instead, I like listening to the radio (phone/tablet, actually). The play-by-play guys for my team (Indians) are very entertaining and fill in the player "adjustment time" with little bits of human interest stories about players from the teams. Besides, listening on the "radio" gives me the freedom to move around. I get a lot of kitchen work done when listening to sports onine.

I love baseball, Kayelle, and I won't watch it either. Unless I need a nap, that is. Then I fall asleep quickly. Instead, I like listening to the radio (phone/tablet, actually). The play-by-play guys for my team (Indians) are very entertaining and fill in the player "adjustment time" with little bits of human interest stories about players from the teams. Besides, listening on the "radio" gives me the freedom to move around. I get a lot of kitchen work done when listening to sports onine.

That Harry Doyle and... what's his name, sure are funny. :LOL:

CD

That Harry Doyle and...
OMG, Harry Doyle! :LOL: Bob Uecker is still doing some play-by-play innings for his hometown Milwaukee Brewers games. When the Indians play the Brewers (what, once every three years or so?), I try to catch his calls. Heck, on a day off for the Indians, I'll just go ahead and tune in to a Brewers game to listen to ol' Har...I mean, Bob. Funny guy!

I think my Indians could have used Ricky Vaughn in the bullpen this past season.

Dead skin cells. That's what makes up a lot of "dust."

Dead, my a$$. They're alive and they multiply like crazy.

Thank you for the laugh. I really needed it about this time of day. I will call the UN for you and see if they could hire a housekeeper for you. Will you also need a Nanny?

I need a nanny, but for me, not the dollhouse. Can you also swing a maid and a cook?

It'll be a traffic nightmare for me as I head home from work in a few minutes. I live less than a mile away from Dodger Stadium.

The DOT removed all the toll booths for the tunnels and Pike. The traffic jams are unbelievable here in Eastie. We have two tunnels here and trying to get in line to get into Boston is a nightmare. The city is redesigning the road to enter the main tunnel. So with the construction going on at the entrance and all the traffic from three North Shore towns trying to get in there, well, everyone ends up late for work. All any of them have to do is head over to Chelsea and use the bridge. The bridge has the shortest lines. And they get through faster. More lanes, more license readers, etc. The tunnel has only two lanes. And depending where you are going, you have to get into the right lane from the beginning.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom