Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is more of a rant then a petty vent. Nothing petty about it.

Thursday night the boss went to town and go so drunk he didn't know were he was or where his car was. His buddies put him in his car and sent him home. I get all these phone calls yesterday morning. Did he make it home? I haven't been that mad in a long time. I just told everyone if it happens again I will come get him. I can not believe they just let him go!

He has no family to answer to. Its just us. He wont listen. He gets mad and says nobody tells me what to do! He was raised an only child spoiled rich kid and throws a fit when he don't get what he wants. Especially after the stroke. His brains are still scrambled. Ive caught him drinking at 3:30 in the afternoon. The neighbors have found him passed out in his vehicle a few miles from home. I don't know what to do. From what I understand there is not much I can do until he gets caught or worse. He has been driving his personal car but wants his farm pickup back. I still have the fuel cart hooked to it from harvest. I don't want him driving drunk in a company vehicle so I haven't unhooked it yet. Not looking forward to the conversation we need to have when he does get his pickup back. Explain no drinking a company vehicle, to the owner of the farm! He made my brother and I partners. If he is drunk and hurts or kills someone in a company vehicle we could loose everything. These are conversations I should be having with my teenagers not my 70 year old boss. Except my teenagers has more sense than that!

Oh and I still have to get my wife something for Christmas. I got her an air fryer like she wanted and some new clothes but she wont let me wrap them. I want her to have something to open Christmas morning too. Shes always good getting me little things that mean a lot. She says get me something from the heart. With everything going on I haven't put much thought into Christmas. The weather has been fantastic. We have working some long hours in the fields hauling manure. That's not going to stop anytime soon. Its suppose to be winter! WE are suppose to be taking it easy this time of year! Texas got more snow than we did. I planned on doing nothing today. I guess I'm going shopping.

I love love love the honey baked ham store!

Yes, I think they are a nation wide chain, not sure. That's basically all the do is hams of all kinds. Their specialty is spiral cut smoked ham with bone in. My mom would save the bone for split pea soup. No doubt they do a good deal of business around the holidays, enough to keep them popular, and in business.

Last edited:
Caslon...did you read what I said several posts back??

Calson, go to a Honey Baked Ham store and buy a $9 ham bone. It's worth every penny and has at least two cups of ham on it. Cut the ham off so you can chop it and add it to the soup at the end of cooking so it doesn't get over cooked. Boil up the bone with the peas, add some grated onion and carrot if you want and simmer it till the peas disappear. There's not an easier or more delicious soup to make.

Anderson's Pea Soup is nuclear waste in a can.

Last edited:
Caslon, if you can read, you can make soup. Seriously. My SIL was a certifiable Kitchen Idiot years ago. I told here that "if you can read, you can cook". She can now cook wonderful meals and, on her good days, can out-flake me on pie crust. Just try. My Mom's Ham and Bean soup recipe is simple - takes a bit of time, but it is easy enough to follow...or not follow to the letter. Besides, her recipe calls for bacon. Bacon makes EVERYTHING good!

Mom's Ham and Bean Soup

Pay special attention to my comment to rodentraiser, number 17. (Hey, rr, where are ya? Haven't heard from you lately...). She was worried about following the recipe to the letter. You don't have to do that. It is a very forgiving recipe. If you like soft beans in your soup, you really can't overcook this soup. If you want to try it, feel free to ask me any questions you want. My PM folder is always kept cleaned out. ;)

Caslon, if you can read, you can make soup. Seriously. My SIL was a certifiable Kitchen Idiot years ago. I told here that "if you can read, you can cook".

One caveat. If you can read *and follow directions*, you can cook ;)

I had a friend who constantly overcooked her roasts because when she took them out to rest, they didn't look done enough, so she put them back in. Of course they came out overcooked and dry. There were a lot of other simple procedures she skipped, thinking they weren't necessary, so her food often didn't turn out well.

Honey Of A Ham is a national franchise business. I don't know about the rest of the country, but the one here in Saugus, also makes a roast beef along with the Ham at Christmas time. My daughter orders a ham at Easter time, and the Roast Beef for Christmas. Both meats are to die for. The beef one is so juicy and moist to the last bite. It also comes with sides. But for either holiday you have to get your order in at least a month ahead of the holiday.

Last edited:
Honey Of A Ham is a national franchise business. I don't know about the rest of the country, but the one here in Saugus, also makes a roast beef along with the Ham at Christmas time. My daughter orders a ham at Easter time, and the Roast Beef for Christmas. Both meats are to die for. The beef one is so juicy and moist to the last bite. It also comes with sides. But for either holiday you have to get your order in at least a month ahead of the holiday.

"Honey Of a Ham" isn't a national franchise business Addie..but a Honeybaked Ham store is located in Saugus, Ma. They don't offer roast beef.
https://myhoneybakedstore.com/saugus/7006/home/index.asp

Last edited:
One caveat. If you can read *and follow directions*, you can cook ;)

I had a friend who constantly overcooked her roasts because when she took them out to rest, they didn't look done enough, so she put them back in. Of course they came out overcooked and dry. There were a lot of other simple procedures she skipped, thinking they weren't necessary, so her food often didn't turn out well.

I always try to take my roasts out when very rare. If someone doesn't think it is cooked enough after the rest they can place the meat in the hot gravy to cook a bit more. OR (shudder) microwave it. I ruined to many roasts trying to make the "well done" people happy. Now if anything I under cook because it can always be cooked more.

Last edited:
Petty vent not cooking related. Every "crew neck" T-Shirt or sweatshirt that I shop for these days have collars that are stretched out, to the point of ridiculousness. I found one store nearby that had Russell brand crewneck sweatshirts. They made the mistake of hanging them on hangars rather than folding them. The crewneck opening was big enuff to fit a cantelope thru. "Crewneck" term implies that the neck opening isn't wide, but rather somewhat snug. Not these days. These days you put on "crew neck" t-shirts or sweatshirts and they practically expose your clavicles. Fashion designers can be really dumb with "clothing styles" these days. :mad:
End of petty vent.

Last edited:
I'm content with just the clavicles showing. I have to wear a 2X top so it will fit in the shoulders, the neckline must be covered and or pinned so I don't get arrested.

I need to find those types of crew shirts, Caslon. I've taken to buying only v-neck t-shirts lately since every crew neck I've found feels like it's strangling me. I'm always pulling on the neckline to stretch it out! It's not like I have a fat neck. :glare:

I need to find those types of crew shirts, Caslon. I've taken to buying only v-neck t-shirts lately since every crew neck I've found feels like it's strangling me. I'm always pulling on the neckline to stretch it out! It's not like I have a fat neck. :glare:

"Undershirts" can be neck strangling. I still see only big neck holes on T-shirts and sweatshirts these last 8 years. I don't mind the loosening of the collar, but do they have to go overboard? Collar neck holes now look as if you were playing pickup football and someone tackled you by grabbing your vintage crewneck collar and stretching it out 5 inches. :LOL:

Fashion is wierd.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if we have Honey Baked up here but it reminds me of when my BIL was doing weekly runs to Florida. At Christmas he wold always pick up a Spiral Ham to bring home.

The family has gone all over the country now and he has stopped doing those runs. No more big hams and soup after. My SIL couldn't boil hot dogs without splitting them to pieces BUT she could make a damn fine soup from that bone!

Our phone just rang and it was my husbands brothers phone number on the caller ID. When he answered the phone it was a credit card company. How do they do that? This is so aggravating.

Our phone just rang and it was my husbands brothers phone number on the caller ID. When he answered the phone it was a credit card company. How do they do that? This is so aggravating.

Apparently they can have any number show on caller ID. I have gotten several calls when the caller ID showed it was me calling.

I now have finally memorized my 16 digit credit card number and 3 digit security code number, finally.

This after my credit card company said my card was used suspiciously and they're sending me a new credit card and number. I was buying a new computer from scratch and made lots of purchases and returns. That, apparently was all they needed to void my present card and issue me another. Very annoying having to change all the sites that stored the old number.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom