Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hardie board is tricky stuff to work with if you live in a place that gets a decent amount of rain. I'm not sure about where you live, Case.

It's a cement board that's only finished on one side, so if it's not flashed or sealed correctly, the water will get to the unfinished side and it will rot.

You also need to use the correct caulk, or it looks like pigeon poop all over the siding.

We looked into having our house done in Hardie board but the price was ridiculous if you do it the right way with all of the joint flashings and corners.

Sooo, I thought I had a rat in my attic. I put some glue traps up there, and nothing got stuck in them.

Turns out I have squirrel somewhere, not quite in my attic, but inside my house. It took me weeks, but I finally found the squirrel hole. One of the few places on my house that isn't covered in brick, and You can't see it unless you climb onto the roof.

So now, it is "game on." I can't get to the hole without a 30-foot ladder, and I can't rent one and bring it home on my MINI Cooper. So, time to call on my friends with trucks. Replace that area of wood with HardyPlank. Cement board that looks like wood. Files those squirrel teeth down in a hurry.

Like I have said before, I love nature, as long as it stays the f--k out of my house!

Seriously, I'd be happy to feed the critters, if they would just stop moving into my house.

CD
We get squirrels here often..we have lots of trees in our neighborhood and especially the patch of trees across the street is infested with them..at any given time you can look out the window and see two or three..they get in the attic here from time to time and I have figured out a solution..If I hear one, I bang on the ceiling and walls (where I hear them scratching) with my open hand for about 5 minutes and do this periodically every hour or so for a couple of days..they are nervous little buggers and usually take off. I haven't had any back in a year or so..sounds primitive, but it works..

Last edited:
We get squirrels here often..we have lots of trees in our neighborhood and especially the patch of trees across the street is infested with them..at any given time you can look out the window and see two or three..they get in the attic here from time to time and I have figured out a solution..If I hear one, I bang on the ceiling and walls (where I hear them scratching) with my open hand for about 5 minutes and do this periodically every hour or so for a couple of days..they are nervous little buggers and usually take off. I haven't had any back in a year or so..sounds primitive, but it works..
with my open hand for about 5 minutes
I bet you'd have more fun with your drumsticks. ;)

Last edited:
Not so much a vent as an "I'm disappointed"

I'm not much of a seamstress, but I do know how to sew a straight(ish) seam. In spite of our thermopane windows being pretty good, there isn't anything that doesn't make you shiver when stepping out of the shower right next to a window when it's single digits or colder outside. I got a bright idea to make a rustic window shade with batting between two layers of fabric. Got my box of fabric out, pulled two bundles (one a tiny print, the other plain muslin), measured, cut, pinned. I was ready to go! I hadn't used the sewing machine for about a decade :ermm: , so I dusted and pulled apart and cleaned. Well, the motor runs, the belt seems to be doing its thing, but the rod powered by the motor isn't moving up and down to operate the needle's movement. Himself was heading off to bed when I noticed. He'll be doing the handyman impression sometime today - I hope. Maybe all the machine needs is for him to sneeze a bit more dust off of the mechanics! :LOL:

Not sure this 1966 vintage Sears sewing machine (in a cabinet, no less) is worth a pricey repair. I wonder if Jo-Ann has some nice, reasonably prices refurbs in their store...

Comedy relief post. I know that the Publishers Clearing House has an upcoming $5,000 a week Grand prize. I ask this question. When I go to enter the 2.5 billion chance of winning, their entry page to enter the contest just keeps referring me back to the "Enter to Win" site page.

I know this contest is a rip off, but damn...PCH site puts me into a continuous loop when I try and enter the contest. 2.5 billion odds. I can't even get entered into the contest. I keep getting looped back to the main PCH page. It won't let me enter! :LOL::ROFLMAO:

For laughs, someone try it. See if you can get entered into PCH's grand prize of $5000 a week for life. I tried and couldn't even be among the 2.5 billion to 1 odds of winning.

I know I know it's impossible odds. But that site is so devious, it prevents one from entering the contest. Try it. Endless loop.

You'll never get to the page where it says "you are officially entered into this sweepstakes."

Last edited:
Hardie board is tricky stuff to work with if you live in a place that gets a decent amount of rain. I'm not sure about where you live, Case.

It's a cement board that's only finished on one side, so if it's not flashed or sealed correctly, the water will get to the unfinished side and it will rot.

You also need to use the correct caulk, or it looks like pigeon poop all over the siding.

We looked into having our house done in Hardie board but the price was ridiculous if you do it the right way with all of the joint flashings and corners.

I've worked with Hardie products. They can't actually "rot." They can transfer water to wood. But, if you caulk and paint properly, it is not a problem. The exterior products are generally pre-primed, as well.

My house is 90-percent brick. Most of the non-brick stuff is soffits and trim. Squirrels usually go after the trim. On my house, they usually hit either metal flashing or brick if they get through the trim. This one place , the squirrel hit flashing, but moved up and over it and got in.

CD

The little bugger is in my living room ceiling. Vaulted ceiling... 24 feet high. :rolleyes:

I have a long pole I am going to use to chase the squirrel outside before I close up the hole. I don't want it to die inside the house, and stink.

CD

I'm not much of a seamstress, but I do know how to sew a straight(ish) seam. In spite of our thermopane windows being pretty good, there isn't anything that doesn't make you shiver when stepping out of the shower right next to a window when it's single digits or colder outside. I got a bright idea to make a rustic window shade with batting between two layers of fabric. Got my box of fabric out, pulled two bundles (one a tiny print, the other plain muslin), measured, cut, pinned. I was ready to go! I hadn't used the sewing machine for about a decade :ermm: , so I dusted and pulled apart and cleaned. Well, the motor runs, the belt seems to be doing its thing, but the rod powered by the motor isn't moving up and down to operate the needle's movement. Himself was heading off to bed when I noticed. He'll be doing the handyman impression sometime today - I hope. Maybe all the machine needs is for him to sneeze a bit more dust off of the mechanics! :LOL:

Not sure this 1966 vintage Sears sewing machine (in a cabinet, no less) is worth a pricey repair. I wonder if Jo-Ann has some nice, reasonably prices refurbs in their store...

Go to JoAnn, and tell them you are shopping for a new machine, and ask to "test drive" some of their demo machines on this little project, so you can see which one you like. :cool:

Not going to say how I know about this. :angel:

CD

Comedy relief post. I know that the Publishers Clearing House has an upcoming $5,000 a week Grand prize. I ask this question. When I go to enter the 2.5 billion chance of winning, their entry page to enter the contest just keeps referring me back to the "Enter to Win" site page.

I know this contest is a rip off, but damn...PCH site puts me into a continuous loop when I try and enter the contest. 2.5 billion odds. I can't even get entered into the contest. I keep getting looped back to the main PCH page. It won't let me enter! :LOL::ROFLMAO:

For laughs, someone try it. See if you can get entered into PCH's grand prize of $5000 a week for life. I tried and couldn't even be among the 2.5 billion to 1 odds of winning.

I know I know it's impossible odds. But that site is so devious, it prevents one from entering the contest. Try it. Endless loop.

You'll never get to the page where it says "you are officially entered into this sweepstakes."

Many, many moons ago,(1960) PCH would not pay out to any winner if no one claimed it. So he Federal Govt. ruled that they HAD to keep drawing names until someone won. They used to publish a list of winners. I haven't check recently.

Many, many moons ago,(1960) PCH would not pay out to any winner if no one claimed it. So he Federal Govt. ruled that they HAD to keep drawing names until someone won. They used to publish a list of winners. I haven't check recently.

Lawyers and accountants. Highly paid. They make it happen.

If only I could enter my 2.1 billion to one chance. Their site won't even let me.

It revolves into a continuous loop. Try.

Last edited:
Go to JoAnn, and tell them you are shopping for a new machine, and ask to "test drive" some of their demo machines on this little project, so you can see which one you like. :cool:

Not going to say how I know about this. :angel:

CD
:LOL: You'll be glad to know, cd, that I don't need to resort to such chicanery. Himself worked away at the machine, watched a few Youtube videos, and did a little more work. Let's just say there isn't much that can't be fixed with WD-40. ;) Now I need to carve out some time to sew that window shade - after I make sure there isn't any stray oil or grease than can mess up the fabric.

I should be working on that window shade (or at least readjusting my sewing machine after Himself got it running), but I'm a bit of a mess today. Tweaked a butt muscle yesterday - that, or my hip is about to break off. Woke with a headache today due to the impending wind storm we'll be getting later. Maybe I'll moan my way up the steps later today, but right now I'm rather enjoying my personal pity party. :LOL:

I should be working on that window shade (or at least readjusting my sewing machine after Himself got it running), but I'm a bit of a mess today. Tweaked a butt muscle yesterday - that, or my hip is about to break off. Woke with a headache today due to the impending wind storm we'll be getting later. Maybe I'll moan my way up the steps later today, but right now I'm rather enjoying my personal pity party. :LOL:
If it doesn't get better soon, go see your doctor. That sounds like the first symptoms I had for the "severe osteoarthritis" in my left hip. I thought I had pulled a muscle.

:LOL: You'll be glad to know, cd, that I don't need to resort to such chicanery. Himself worked away at the machine, watched a few Youtube videos, and did a little more work. Let's just say there isn't much that can't be fixed with WD-40. ;) Now I need to carve out some time to sew that window shade - after I make sure there isn't any stray oil or grease than can mess up the fabric.

YouTube and Google have taught me more practical things
than I ever learned in school :LOL:

If it doesn't get better soon, go see your doctor. That sounds like the first symptoms I had for the "severe osteoarthritis" in my left hip. I thought I had pulled a muscle.
I'll be fine, taxy, but thanks for caring. :heart: I had this same twitch about three or four years ago. I went for x-rays then; since then I've also had a bone density scan. I'm in pretty decent shape for an old lady, according to those tests. What I need to do is get moved to a house with everything on one floor. This up-and-down from the basement to the second floor is gonna kill me one of these days! :LOL:

Meanwhile, in the continuing saga of "Tales from a Sewing Machine", Himself had it all fixed right! I did have to put the shuttle assembly back together, which is really annoying. Then, when I threaded everything up and started to do a test run on scrap fabric, I managed to jam up the needle in the "down" position. :glare: It was then that I remembered I was supposed to pull the bobbin thread up from below before I actually started sewing.

I never was a seamstress, so I'm not surprised that I can't remember a thing after, um, about 15 years since the last time my sewing machine and I played together. I hope we can un-jam things without breaking the needle...

I'm pissed! You may or may not see my post because I made the mistake of letting my customer book my hotel room "just this one time" instead of booking it myself. I can't send emails, the internet is sketchy all-around, and there is an f--ing elephant in the room above me. I'm too old for Econo-Lodge.

Seriously, you may never see this post. The internet connection is that bad.

I always book my own hotel rooms. I always get my own rental car... but this job caught my off guard. They told me they made all the arrangements, and I didn't have time to do my own travel planning.

I am also working side-by-side with some of their company employees, and don't like to crap on them with a better hotel and personal car rental, although I now know that they are all more than okay with it, since I do more than I have to on these assignments (including picking up bar tabs).

Lucky for me/us, the owner of the cars knows the guys who send us to do the hard work. One of those guys is coming tomorrow to "make sure everything is getting done." The owner of the cars is a cool guy, and he's going to run blocker for us, so we can do what we need to done.

I'm getting too old for this s$-t.

CD

This should probably be posted in a thread entitled “don’t you hate it when...” but we don’t have one...

Got a couple of bean and cheese burritos, two for one, at Del Toxic, with extra cheese on both.

I HATE it when all of the cheese is at one end of the burrito. Why can’t they evenly distribute the cheese??? It’s not rocket surgery or brain science!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom