Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm taking daily abuse from families that want to visit their loved ones, but...I didn't and the facility didn't make the damn rules. The Federal Government has blocked visitor access to the nursing homes all over the country.

Come home to relax and get my mind off it...then BAM! It's Fiona's fault that someone does not post what they want. Not Admin, not moderators, ME, Fiona, it's my fault.

I don't want this to be a pity party, I knew I was going to take a certain amount of malarkey from folks when I agreed to this gig. But today, last straw...camel's back...

We don't say it enough. When things are funning smoothly, we just keep rolling on. When they aren't, we expect people like your to get things rolling smoothly again. So I'm going to say it, right here, right now, for everyone to see.

I, Chief Longwind of the North, appreciate all you do for all of us here on DC. You have your own life challenges to bear, and still, you assist all of us. You are one in a million, and I'm thankful for your efforts.

PriFi, my life is made richer by your support. So let me offer my support to you. If you ever need to just talk, to unload, send me a PM. I can listen, and maybe even help.

Just know that you are appreciated by me.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

We don't say it enough. When things are funning smoothly, we just keep rolling on. When they aren't, we expect people like your to get things rolling smoothly again. So I'm going to say it, right here, right now, for everyone to see.

I, Chief Longwind of the North, appreciate all you do for all of us here on DC. You have your own life challenges to bear, and still, you assist all of us. You are one in a million, and I'm thankful for your efforts.

PriFi, my life is made richer by your support. So let me offer my support to you. If you ever need to just talk, to unload, send me a PM. I can listen, and maybe even help.

Just know that you are appreciated by me.

Thank you!

+1...

Ross

Thank You!

Attachments

• flowers.jpg
    flowers.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 99
PriFi, I just noticed the tag line at the bottom of your post, the Albert Einstein quote. Great minds think alike. I just used that quote in a church talk I gave last Sunday. If I recall correctly, Albert thought everything was a miracle.:)

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I'm griping about the quality of mass produced cheese. you see, I've had some of the best. Balderson Heritage.& 7 year aged cheddar,Extra, Artison 5 year cheddar from a friend in Wisconsin who made small batch cheese that was outstanding, Williams Extra Sharp Pinconning, 4 year aged Swiss Cheese, Some really good 1000 day old Ghouda, along with excellent Havarti, and other fine cheeses.

I just purchased 8 oz. each of Kerrygold Cheddar, Black Creek 3 year aged cheddar, Emi Gruy,ere, queso Blanco, and Queso Cotija. The 3 year aged cheddar wasn't exciting at all. It was too creamy for an aged cheddar, and way salty, with none of the little calcium crystals that normaly start to form afterf 2 years of aging. The others were all very mild, with the queso cheesees almost flavorless, like alll of the baby swiss out there. I wish I could drive again to SSM Ont for some Balderson, or could afford to go online to Igourmet for good racelet cheeses, or Beeman's Ghouoda, or any of he fine cheeses they have there.

When Kraft Cracker Barrel is the best cheese available in your local supermarkets, ya just have to grin and bear it. I;m tired of companies making poor to mediocre products to enhance the bottom line, at our expense. I kind of wish I had been an adult through the 40's, 50's and 60's, when companies took pride in their products. But then, I would't have gotten drafted, because I would have joined the Navy back then as well.

zi;m just tired of mediocre, in clothing, shoes, food, restaurants, everything. We have a society designed to reward those who take advantage of others.

To the stupid, reckless woman wandering around Market Basket with no mask today: You had better hope that you weren't spraying Covid-19 death bombs each time you sneezed today. :glare: Because of you, I came home without the collard greens I wanted since you were right by them for one of those sneezes. I hope I also came home without your germs. If either Himself or I get sick, I will hunt you down...

To the stupid, reckless woman wandering around Market Basket with no mask today: You had better hope that you weren't spraying Covid-19 death bombs each time you sneezed today. :glare: Because of you, I came home without the collard greens I wanted since you were right by them for one of those sneezes. I hope I also came home without your germs. If either Himself or I get sick, I will hunt you down...
Yikes.
This pandemic really is showing us a lot of people who have no consideration for the health, even lives, of other people. I'm sorry you had to deal with that.

We better buckle up and get ready for a bumpy ride come this fall. There will be food shortages. Packing plants are shutting down or running at 30% less capacity because of sick workers. I live in Nebraska and I am a farmer. I know this to be a fact. Hog farmers are giving away pigs for free. Some euthanized thier pigs because the packers can't take them. One of my neighbors has pens of fat cattle ready for market. The cattle buyers flat said they don't want any more cattle.
Don't think you vegans are safe. I've read several articles about vegetable farmers plowing under entire crops because there are no workers to harvest the crop.
You can't buy a freezer anywhere around here. They are all sold out.
I made an appointment at our local locker to have a hog and a beef processed. It's usually a week or so wait. My appointment for the hog is late August. The beef late September.
I don't scare easy. I'm use to volatile markets. But this has me a little spooked. We are just beginning to feel the effects of this virus.
If you have the means to plant a garden I suggest you do so.

We better buckle up and get ready for a bumpy ride come this fall. There will be food shortages. Packing plants are shutting down or running at 30% less capacity because of sick workers. I live in Nebraska and I am a farmer. I know this to be a fact. Hog farmers are giving away pigs for free. Some euthanized thier pigs because the packers can't take them. One of my neighbors has pens of fat cattle ready for market. The cattle buyers flat said they don't want any more cattle.
Don't think you vegans are safe. I've read several articles about vegetable farmers plowing under entire crops because there are no workers to harvest the crop.
You can't buy a freezer anywhere around here. They are all sold out.
I made an appointment at our local locker to have a hog and a beef processed. It's usually a week or so wait. My appointment for the hog is late August. The beef late September.
I don't scare easy. I'm use to volatile markets. But this has me a little spooked. We are just beginning to feel the effects of this virus.
If you have the means to plant a garden I suggest you do so.

Jon, I've seen some vlog posts in regards to the packing houses and I'm keeping my deep freeze filled. I do not have the lad for a garden, but I've been considering planting in the Community Garden, $50 w/ $25 refundable at the end of the season once you clean up your plot.
But y'know, I got the impression that the shortage was starting sooner than this Fall, no?

The bottom line is that some meat-packing plants closed or are operating at reduced capacity because workers became ill; one or two have even become hot spots. The government understandably wants them to reopen, but from my reading, they have not made arrangements for the workers to have protective equipment to avoid contracting the virus and will more or less force these workers to go back to work or lose their unemployment benefits. It's a difficult dilemma.

Does Canada do a lot of its own meat processing and packing, or is it imported?

Yes, we raise a lot of beef and pork in Canada and process a lot here. We also import meat, mostly from the US.

My Canada friends are in the same boat as we are. Maybe you live in a different part of Canada.

Yes, some farmers have had to dump milk. And yes, I probably do live in a different part of Canada than your Canadian friends. I live in Quebec.

I suppose I should have said that I was glad that I get most of my food from a plethora of smaller farms. Some have onsite abattoirs (slaughtering facilities) and processing.

I guess I had just been reading about the possibility of meat packing plants being forced to reopen in the US. I would rather not have to choose between eating meat and my personal ethics.

Back
Top Bottom