Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kayelle, I love these. I cut them in half lengthwise, so they hold together, spray with some olive oil, and grill cut side down on my stove-top grill pan, until the lettuce gets warm and has some dark grill marks. I sprinkle it with some bacon bits and a creamy dressing. I love the combination of the warm lettuce leaves with the cold dressing. Blue Cheese dressing works well.

Also like to use the leaves for wraps.

We love that, too, Carol. I put grilled tuna or salmon on top. DH likes his with bleu cheese and I like Italian vinaigrette on mine :yum:

I should treat myself using Romaine lettuce more. :yum: It's kind of pricey.

I've been buying Romaine. I find it really outlasts bagged mixed greens, which tend to turn into science experiments before we can use them up. Saves money in the long run.

I'm guessing you don't have a basement? We've parked our cars in our garage from the day we moved in. Then again, we get snow and we like to keep our cars forever, so we think of garages as safe havens for our vehicles.

You either need to get rid of the junk, or get rid of the wife. Looks like you'll be living with a cluttered garage, eh?
In my early car owning days I was told quite seriously by a garage mechanic that cars were more likely to rust when kept in a garage than when kept outside. I have no idea if there is any scientific evidence for this.

I've never had a garage until recently so never been able to test this one out. None of my cars have rusted much, though.

Petty vent: Packaged salad bags in supermarkets now. It used to be you could pour the salad into a bowl, add dressing, tasted fresh. Nowadays, if you don't use a salad spinner with bagged lettuce, you get an earthy dirt flavor. Two years ago, salad bag makers rinsed their product a lot more than now. Water shortage, cost, etc. changed all that.

Yes yes, I know...rinse ALL salads now to prevent Salmonella. I bought a salad spinner a couple of months ago. I'm too lazy to make my own salad. My current fave bagged salad is Mainly Romaine.

Hehe, Romaine lettuce scares me, I've never used it. I've seen it in fancy sandwiches and bagged lettuce. :ROFLMAO:
I'm not a lettuce lover but I do like romaine lettuce. It has flavour! Over here we can buy baby lettuces that look like miniature Romaines. They aren't bad either.

In my early car owning days I was told quite seriously by a garage mechanic that cars were more likely to rust when kept in a garage than when kept outside. I have no idea if there is any scientific evidence for this.

I've never had a garage until recently so never been able to test this one out. None of my cars have rusted much, though.

Interesting. That doesn't make sense to me. We have never had a garage, so our vehicles are always outside and we have no problems with rust. OTOH, when we lived in Michigan, it was common for cars to have problems with rust. The reason was that it snowed much more there than here and the salt put on the roads to deal with ice and snow caused corrosion and rust on the undersides of vehicles.

We are told that cars rust more in a heated garage. That has to do with the salt they use on the roads to melt the snow. The slushy snow sticks to the underside of the car. In an unheated garage the reaction of salt, water, and metal is slow. When the garage is heated, the reaction is speeded up. Plain old chemistry. OTH, in a heated garage, the slushy snow melts and falls off the car. I don't know if the smaller amount of salt left on the car in a heated garage balances out with the speedier reaction.

We are told that cars rust more in a heated garage. That has to do with the salt they use on the roads to melt the snow. The slushy snow sticks to the underside of the car. In an unheated garage the reaction of salt, water, and metal is slow. When the garage is heated, the reaction is speeded up. Plain old chemistry. OTH, in a heated garage, the slushy snow melts and falls off the car. I don't know if the smaller amount of salt left on the car in a heated garage balances out with the speedier reaction.

I can't imagine paying to heat a garage, but I guess people do.

I can't imagine paying to heat a garage, but I guess people do.

Because my house was built in a valley with a very high water table, my foundation is a "raft slab". Think of a raft on water. When my foundation moves, it moves as a unit. My home needs the foundation uniformly heated, including the garage.

The underground garages in my condo association (there are four of them that each has ~20 cars) are heated to around 3 or 4°C. When it's -20°C out, it's really nice to get into a car that isn't that icy cold.

The underground garages in my condo association (there are four of them that each has ~20 cars) are heated to around 3 or 4°C. When it's -20°C out, it's really nice to get into a car that isn't that icy cold.

I grew up in Michigan; I know how cold it gets in winter. My parents never had heated garages when I was growing up. I can imagine it's nice, but I also imagine it costs quite a bit to heat. I'm pretty sure the garages my parents had were not insulated. That would make a big difference.

Beth, your situation makes sense.

My car is in an underground heated garage and I don't think it costs much, it is similar to having an unheated basement in a house. The garage gets some benefit from the natural heat below ground and in my case the returns for the steam heat run through the garage on the way back to the boiler building that heats the entire complex.

I do think it would be prohibitively expensive if the garage was above grade and had a dedicated heating system with a thermostat located in the garage.

Garages attached to the house, on the side, under the master bedroom, etc. are heated - but certainly not like the house itself. Bloody cold in them comparatively speaking. Garages separate from the house would not be heated.

Our house in Mahtomedi, Minn. had the garage sort of under the dining room area. There was the laundry room on one side with a bedroom over and the recreation room on the other side with kitchen and family room over. To get to the laundry you made a dash across the cold garage and slammed the door quickly. Things did not freeze but it was cold!

Garages attached to the house, on the side, under the master bedroom, etc. are heated - but certainly not like the house itself. Bloody cold in them comparatively speaking. Garages separate from the house would not be heated.

Our house in Mahtomedi, Minn. had the garage sort of under the dining room area. There was the laundry room on one side with a bedroom over and the recreation room on the other side with kitchen and family room over. To get to the laundry you made a dash across the cold garage and slammed the door quickly. Things did not freeze but it was cold!

Cold is relative. To me, If I'm doing any kind of physical labor, it doesn't get cold unti around 10'F. If I'm working hard, i.e. shoveling snow, after five minutes, I'm in a t-shirt and a hat. 40 to 45' F. is the temp I like if i'm doing something like splitting wood with a maul, or raking leaves, or waling through rugged terrain. It's light jacket weather. But then again, I've been known to jump on a snowobile at 16 to 20 degrees in just a t-shirt. While in Judo, I used to go out in just the Judo-gi pants, which ran from the waist to about 2 ' below the knee to cool off, barefoot, in the middle of Michigan, U.P winter, to refresh myself.

But then again, I have shivered violently with minor hypothermia after a 45 minute ride on a motorcycle, wering a thin jack in 45' weather.

Summertime - 60'F. mornings found me in 62' water, swimming most every day. I lived on the St. Mary's River, which flowed from Lake Superior to Lake Huron. We thought nothing of it.

On the other hand, my DW is shivering cold at 70'F. in the house, when there is snow on the ground.

Like I said, it's all relative.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Cold is relative. *** shoveling snow,*** doing something like splitting wood *** It's light jacket weather.

But then again, I have shivered violently with minor hypothermia after a 45 minute ride on a motorcycle, wering a thin jack in 45' weather.

On the other hand, my DW is shivering cold at 70'F. in the house, when there is snow on the ground.

Like I said, it's all relative.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

shoveling, hauling wood - yep - body gets mighty warm!
Of course you are gong to shiver on a m/bike, your body is not active... just the bike - bet that get hot!
But on the other hand, like your DW - I too shiver at the end of a long day when I'm winding down and just sitting.

It's all relative!

Medtran, your story about the car scratching the other car reminded me of the time I parked in a supermarket car park and noticed that someone had left their key in the lock of their car - this was in the days before central locking. As soon as I went into the shop I approached an employee and told her what had happened, giving her the registration details of the car. Usually when this happens an announcement will be made over the tannoy requesting the owner of that car to come to customer services. When the owner does that, they are informed as to what has happened. Well, the young woman I spoke to was not so bright and she announced for all the world to hear, "Will the owner of car registration.........please return to your car - you have left your key in the lock."! AAAGGGHHH! I never did find out if the car was still there when the owner returned.

Gillian

Pork tenderloin

I've just come across another recipe for pork tenderloin to be done in the slow cooker.

What part of Pork Tenderloin don't they understand. Who in their right mind would commit such sacrilege? The most tender part of the pork and around these parts often the most expensive cut.

It boggles my mind, I just can't wrap my brain around that.

I've just come across another recipe for pork tenderloin to be done in the slow cooker.

What part of Pork Tenderloin don't they understand. Who in their right mind would commit such sacrilege? The most tender part of the pork and around these parts often the most expensive cut.

I agree. Slow cookers are for less tender cuts with more fat. Shoulder, ham, butt, etc. These cuts cooked low and slow with give you a great result.

That's just crazy!!:wacko:
Just for fun, I googled crock pot Filet Mignon recipes. Gahhhh......there they were.

Back
Top Bottom