Pots and Pans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CoastinG

Assistant Cook
What kind of pans do you use? I saw that Cuisinart got some high ratings. I was just wondering, I am looking to buy some new ones, I am willing to spend around $200. And, I want a 10 piece. :pig:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: I just saw you had a cookware section... sorry :D

for 2 bills, you're not gonna get "great" in a 10 piece set, but you can still get a nice collection.

do you want a matching set for any reason? do you want all stainless steel, copper, stainless with non-stick, aluminum with non-stick, cast iron, etc.?

i'd recommend that you get a mix; some non-stick, some stainless.

as far as sets go, i've heard good things about the stainless steel sets sold in costco. i just bought and love a cheapie ($30) tramontina 5 qt. stainless sautee from there.

hey, where's caine and the le gourmet chef's cookware recommendation? ;)

so, the more info you give, the more we can help.

Rather than discussing brands, we should discuss types.

The major players are tri-ply stainless, disk on the bottom stainless and anodized aluminum.

For my money, the first is the best. If you must have a set, try a place like Costco or Sam's Club. They have great buys on very good quality pots and pans.

Take a moment to read over older threads on this subject in this Cookware section. There is a great deal of useful info to help you make a decision.

Cuisinart makes several types of cookware so it's not possible to answer your question without more info.

Well, I don't want non-stick. Tri would be nice if they are affordable. It doesn't matter if it's a set or not. Please remember, I DON'T KNOW A LOT. So don't get too technical with me. I do know I don't like non stick though.

And, around $200, but I can prolly go up to $350, although I don't want to, I want to spend thrifty.

Last edited:
I buy my pots and pans individually. Those small fry pans and sauce pans are no use to me. If you know what will get the most use, buy some real good ones and add to them down the road.

A very nice person led me here a couple months ago Cookware & More : Selling All Clad Irregulars Since 1984

I only own one 10" non stick skillet for eggs.

I would reccomend glass lids though. These you can buy cheap at alot of housewares stores.

The first thing you should do is figure out which pots and pans you want/need. Often times the sets come with so many things you will never actually use. It is often better to get two or three quality pieces that you know you will use then buy a cheaper set that will not perform as well and will come with a bunch of useless stuff.

Figure out what you will be cooking and for how many. That will help you decide what types of pots and pans you will need and what size.

A quick note on the Cuisinart. I have a 14" fry pan and a 14" saute pan. They both have only a thick clad bottom. The main construction is single layer stamped stainless steel. They are a good pan and clean easily, but I prefer my All Clads. The All Clads don't tend to develop hot spots which is great for searing and pan sauces. However, I use the hot spots on my other pans while sauteing differnt veggies and such.

I agree that it's best to purchase pans individually if you have that option. Different type of cookware serve different functions and will perform differently. You may want to read the blog post at Find More Facts About Home & Food: Cookware - Why Choose Stainless Steel, Non-Stick, Anodized and More for some basic info on the cookware types.

I definitely prefer stainless for sauteeing and frying, but I do like non-stick for the pans I use for things like pancakes (my griddle) and eggs (a 10 inch frying pan). You may need to experiment a bit to find what suits your style best. That's one reason it is a good idea to buy pans individually if possible.

Good luck and happy cooking!:chef:

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like I might go for the anodized Calphalon. I am going to check out the stores again this weekend.

I found good reviews on the Calphalon online too. Hms. And, I see what you mean, different pans for different jobs.

Last edited:
Have a "House Raid" and ask your parents for some stuff. You never know what treasures are hidden behind those cupboards. And they are usually yours for the asking. Also, you will wind up with some of your favorite recipes.

As for your own shopping, it's summer! Invest in a grill and do some fun cooking. It's a good time of the year to buy spices & herbs.

Buy a blender and make smoothies. Buy a toaster and make toast, bagels, and what ever pops up from a toaster.

I think everyone will agree that you need some really good knives to work with.

Try not to eat alone very often. Find a lasagna that is simple to make and invite someone to bring salad, another to bring garlic bread, and two or three to bring some desserts.

StirBlue said:
I think everyone will agree that you need some really good knives to work with.
Yes, but that is not what he asked about. His question was about pot and pans, not grills, blenders, knives, etc. Lets please try to stay on topic, thanks :)

Thanks for the info all. I will be shopping for some pots and pans this weekend. And, just so you know, I don't need knives. I already have a nice set of Chicago Cutlery that cut just fine. :cool:

Last edited:
I really agree with GB on looking closely at what you cook, and how you cook, before you go and buy a bunch of pans that you don't really need.

If you're just starting out, I think all you'll really need is a couple of frying pans/skillets, one or two saucepans (one small, one large), and a stock pot. That right there will cover the bulk of your cooking. If you're looking for fry pans / skillets that can go from the stovetop to the oven and back again, cast iron is a great buy.

some tri ply sauce pans and pots, say 2 4 and 6 qt sizes, plus a 10 and 12" skillet and a saute pan, 3 qt size, lids of course for the pots and saute, make a good starter. PLaces like Le Gourmet Chef and Sur la Table have store brand tri ply of reasonable quality and price. You will want a few non stick and I recommend several restaurant pans 10 and 12" ... most kitchenware places sell such pans...Carlisle, Wearever, etc.

I hate anodized cookware. It can't go in the dishwasher and ends up looking like crap over time no matter how you baby it.

I do like Calphalon though.

But I would highly suggest looking at Cookware and More's All Clad selection.

Back
Top Bottom