Pumpkin Pie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The pies look good and the taste is creamy and delicious with the cream cheese. It actually held better in the center (like a thicker custard) than when using evaporated milk on it's own.

I usually make my pumpkin pie with canned pumpkin, then add spices. Store crust also (not much of a baker) I have had pumpkin pie (in a restaurant) that had a custard type texture. It was very good. Anyone know how this was done? I wonder if it was like Dina's recipe.

I was thinking about trying a new recipe this year for pie.
it's a butternut squash pie (you roast the butternut squash) and it calls for you to make a crust from ginger cookies (grind them up like you would graham crackers for cheesecake).
I was reading on this thread and someone said that they did not advise make a crumb crust for pumpkin pies. would you think the same would hold true for this type of pie?
Would it be better to make it and pour it into a regular pie crust?

SurvivorGirl,
I've made butternut squash pie before using a regular pie crust. If you roast the squash until tender and strain the excess water out with a cheesecloth, you'll be able to get a firm pie filling and possibly be able to pull it off with a ginger cookie crumb crust (which sounds wonderful by the way). Maybe even reducing the liquid content on your pie recipe would give you a firm custardlike consistency. Good luck and let me know how it turns out.

SurvivorGirl,
I've made butternut squash pie before using a regular pie crust. If you roast the squash until tender and strain the excess water out with a cheesecloth, you'll be able to get a firm pie filling and possibly be able to pull it off with a ginger cookie crumb crust (which sounds wonderful by the way). Maybe even reducing the liquid content on your pie recipe would give you a firm custardlike consistency. Good luck and let me know how it turns out.
thanks for the advice!!:chef:
can't wait to try it.

Please see the recipe I just posted for a strawberry/rhubarb pie. It has the technique for making perfectly flaky and tender pie crust, the easy way. Just halve the pie crust recipe to make the bottom crust. You will also need to blind-bake the crust before adding the pumpkin (pre-bake the crust to a light brown color. The post is called "Easy as Pie"

For the pumpkin recipe, there are many out there on the net. Just do a google search and you will have more than you know what to do with. But from your previous posts, you have apparently found a winner. Good luck to you and a hearty congrats for trying new things.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

SurvivorGirl,

Hiya, I get rid of the excess liquid by a doing a second roasting. After you roast the squash, or pumpkin, or even carrots...put them through a food processor, and then put the puree back into the oven for another 10 to 15 minutes. You will see that all the excess liquid is evaporated and the flavour is more intense.

Hi all.;)

I have never made a pumpkin pie from a can. I have always cooked the pumpkin and frozen it. The recipe I use has been in my mom's family for several generations. My gramma, who is 92, says she can remember making the pies with her gramma! I made two pies on Sunday. I am going to attempt to make a pie crust.

I also use a family recipe for pumpkin bread, again, from gramma. I made four Monday morning.

I always have used pie pumpkins. It seems they have a better taste.

Another tip is to use a little vegetable oil when you food process the pumpkins. SOmehow we didnt them to grind up finely when we first did it. Then added some oil and the pieces came out much finer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom