Random Photo Thread: The Sequel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
creative, that's gorgeous! My Christmas cacti never had that many blooms.
Did you feed it in the flowering season? Maybe it's a climate thing...I am in UK. I also top up the soil every now and then (with houseplant compost).

Last edited:
I used potting soil with nutrients in it, but it still didn't do that well. :LOL: Yours looks like it's been around a while and has had time to develop a lot more blooms. I'll try one again this winter. Again, your cactus is beautiful and looks like it loves where it lives!

Cheryl, you mean yours never looks like mine? It's so root bound I'm surprised it hasn't crawled out to a new pot, but the shape of the pot will require me to break it if I'm going to repot the cactus. I rarely feed it, forget to water it, and yet it thrives. Go figure. ~ BTW, the measurement for the top of the table is 15 inches.

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew I'd seen another Christmas cactus here....! :LOL: Yours looks amazing too, CG. Maybe I should have just ignored mine, too. I've got lots of houseplants that seem to thrive on ignorance. LOL

My Christmas cactus thrives on neglect. I inherited it from one of my cleaning ladies 20 or so years ago, and now it expands at over 3 feet. It used to flower over Halloween, now it's reverted to Christmas, of course, when we're on vacation.

My Christmas cactus thrives on neglect. I inherited it from one of my cleaning ladies 20 or so years ago, and now it expands at over 3 feet. It used to flower over Halloween, now it's reverted to Christmas, of course, when we're on vacation.

That's what I meant to say. :LOL:
I'm going to try another Christmas cactus this winter and see if I can find a place for it.

Last edited:
I've so enjoyed seeing all the pristine snow pics that you all have posted lately, even though it may be a PITA for most of you by now. Still, they're so pretty!

Just thought I'd share a few from my 'hood - the wildflowers in the CA desert are bursting with color from the recent rains that we need so badly. :)

These are from a family outing yesterday. :)

I can't resist posting one more. :LOL: My grandson said his dinosaur needed some greens. LOL

Cheryl, those are nice pictures of pretty flowers...and one dear, little stinkweed. ;) Just kidding - your grandson is a cutie too.

As far as getting a new Christmas cactus, if you know anyone with a plant, just get a piece off of theirs. Whenever part of a length breaks off of mine I either shove it in the soil next to the original (the daughter plant from the photo I posted has room in its pot) or put it into a small glass with water. I have two pieces on my windowsill that need to be planted. Would you like them? :)

Thanks, everyone. :)

CG, that's good to know that they re-grow themselves so easily. I think my neighbor has a Christmas cactus, I can probably get a little starter from her. If not, yeah, run one of them over to me, please? :LOL:

My 4 year old grandson Tyler is just now learning to write his name, and he can now also write 'mom'. :wub: He saw me putting Post-It notes in a recipe book of recipes I want to try. I left the room to make his lunch and came back to see his additions to my notes. :LOL::wub:

Thanks, Princess, I do too. It's fun to see it 'click' in their little minds that letters make up words, and that the ABC's isn't just a song. :wub:

Thanks, Princess, I do too. It's fun to see it 'click' in their little minds that letters make up words, and that the ABC's isn't just a song. :wub:

Cheryl, when my youngest was about three or four, I used to stand half hidden in a doorway and watch him play. He was learning to spell. He would make his toys spell the word "stop", the first word he learned to spell. Each week we would work on a new word as we were out walking to the store. When I taught him how to spell his name, he was naming all his toys with his name. I had bought him a chalkboard that stood up. You remember the kind. I would put the word of the week on it and it would stay up there until he was ready for the next word. It was so much fun watching him learn. I bought him a thick pad of paper so he could practice. I kept that pad for a number of years. Then he got married and had a son. I gave that pad to him. He just sat and went through it, page by page. I looked at him and saw tears running down his cheek. He put the pad away and never said a word. But I know that pad held happy memories for both of us. To this day he loves learning. He has two Masters in Science and in now a Physician Assistant He is considering going into medical school to become a Doctor for Emergency Medicine.

I did the same with learning math. We counted steps, fence pickets, and anything else I could see that I could go to the number 20 with. We had some great learning walks on the way to the store or to get an ice cream. :angel:

Ladybugs - they're all over the place now! I managed to get a close up of this little guy with my cell phone. :)

I love Lady Bugs. When I was small I had a tea set that had Lady Bugs on it. There is a very old wives tale that if you kill one, it will bring rain. I didn't believe it, but I didn't push my luck either. :angel:

Thank you, taxy. :) I happened to have my phone in my pocket when I was out watering, and it was just one of those lucky shots. It does take pretty good pics though, just as good as my 5 year old cheapie little Nikon Coolpix. And my phone is handier. lol :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom