Salt Grinders?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
marishka, do you grind coffee in the same mill? does your salt or spices taste of coffee?

i bought a cool, art deco 50's style coffee grinder that i just use for spices, and i have a seperate one for coffee. there's a lot of oil in coffee beans, which "stains" the grinder. i would think anything else ground in there would pick up a coffee smell.

I cook with kosher salt, but have been using grey salt lately and i really like it. I use it more as a finishing salt because it has a great flavor that yuou can really taste. It seens saltier or cleaner and just fresh like the sea. It would however cost quite a bit to use it as an everyday cooking salt, but i definately recommend trying some

Technically all salt is sea salt (having been deposited there by huge ancient inland seas etc) ANd much is mined by being water disolved, pumped to the surface, and air dried again. It really is a fascinating field of study. I love the saltworks site and reconmmend you all try some smoked salt. ( Awesome for a barbeque finish when you can't Q outside! or for hors d'oeuvre that cna't be Qed reasonably. just to give two uses.)

But organic sea salt?? um...that's going a bit far isn't it?? What do you all think. Can a mineral be organic?? (I'm sure they are refering to processing)

Cerulian Seas Salt readily available here on the east coast comes in both course and fine grinds.

I use kosher salt for most cooking, and specialty salts for finishing. THat light crunch and burst of taste is great on some salads, sea food, and other dishes.

Iodized salt has/had a purpose to help prevent goiter disease. As we have many more fresh vegies available today, this may not be as great a concern for many people. I obviously get it whenever I am out not cooking for myself as 75% of homes and resaurants still use it. But there is a real iodine taste to it that I like in my single malt scotch from Islay, but not in my food.

Maybe...

buckytom said:
marishka, do you grind coffee in the same mill? does your salt or spices taste of coffee?
I haven't had a problem with that happening, it comes out tasteing fine to me. I usually wash out the coffee grinder after using it. But maybe I should buy another one for just spices use only.

Greatest new toy in the house

Hi Cooking Lovers.

I have been lurking in the back for a while. I now got up the nerve to sign up and post.

I took off the year to be a stay at home mom, meaning more time with the kids and more time in the kitchen ( with the kids lol:LOL: )

I found the most amazing pepper/salt mill ever. LINK REMOVED My kids love to use it almost as much as I do, it is also recommended for people with arthritis.

I even let my kids add the salt or pepper into the recipices. It is safe, and most importanly it is clean.

Well the timer is going, meaning the chicken needs to be basted.

Happy Cooking:chef:
BJ

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom