Sausage cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
I read that the best way to cook sausage is to simmer the sausage then saute. How long would you simmer the sausage before saute?

Depends on the thickness of the sausage. Put the sausage inn a skillet and add water no deeper than 1/4 to 1/3 the thickness of the sausage, cover and simmer over low heat. The point is to cook the sausage through with steam - the water will mostly all evaporate, but leave a layer of rendered fat in the pan. Then remove the cover, turn the heat up somewhat, and let the rendered fat already in the pan lubricate them while you brown them. Easy-peasy.

Also, prick the sausage skin, to let some of that fat release, so the sausage doesn't burst, and give something to sauté them in afterwards.
I have never had a sausage burst while I was gently poaching it in water. I don't prick them for gentle poaching. I think the key is to use gentle heat.

I have never had a sausage burst while I was gently poaching it in water. I don't prick them for gentle poaching. I think the key is to use gentle heat.
It varies with the type of sausage, such as bangers which at times had so much filler they'd expand out of their casings.

I try to keep the water at above a simmer but below a roiling boil.
If the pan seems excessively dry, I will sometmies add a bit of oil.
Depending on the sausage I will on occasion split the sausage down the middle to fry on the flat.

I just fry them from start to finish. Or grill them the same way. Never really saw any reason to precook them.

I read that if you prick the sausage the flavor escapes
Some of the fat and juices will usually leak out, if you prick the sausage. A lot of flavour is in those juices and fat. So, you will usually lose some of the flavour. Your sausage may also dry out, be less juicy.

Depends on the thickness of the sausage. Put the sausage inn a skillet and add water no deeper than 1/4 to 1/3 the thickness of the sausage, cover and simmer over low heat. The point is to cook the sausage through with steam - the water will mostly all evaporate, but leave a layer of rendered fat in the pan. Then remove the cover, turn the heat up somewhat, and let the rendered fat already in the pan lubricate them while you brown them. Easy-peasy.
How long do you simmer the sausage?

It depends on the type of sausage. Italian sausage does not need pre-boiling. Just pan fry, broil, grill or however you cook other sausages, such as bratwurst, knockwurst, weiswurst or hot dogs. However, real Polish sausage has to be boiled before using any other cooking method or you won't be able to cut it with your standard chain saw.

Some of the fat and juices will usually leak out, if you prick the sausage. A lot of flavour is in those juices and fat. So, you will usually lose some of the flavour. Your sausage may also dry out, be less juicy.
A tiny bit leaks out, but most of it stays in. I've never had it dry out. Sausage has lots of fat, so it would have to be browning for a really long time.

Like others have said I start the sausage in a covered pan with barely enough water to cover the bottom of the pan for the first 5 minutes or so until the steam melts some of the fat from the sausage and the water evaporates. When the sausage begins to sizzle I reduce the heat and turn the sausage every few minutes to baste the sausage as it browns. The entire process only takes about 20 minutes total.

Try adding some fresh bell pepper, onion, zucchini, spinach, mushrooms, etc…. The vegetables pick up a lot of flavor from the sausage.

You can also simmer the sausage in your favorite pasta sauce instead of frying it. When I cook the sausage in sauce I like to refrigerate it overnight so I can remove the congealed fat but it is not necessary.

The real answer to this and many other cooking questions is to develop your own technique. Experiment until you get the results that you and your family enjoy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom