The Sick Room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Same for me, Cheryl. And then I start seeing bright orange! :LOL:

Ok, I am having a senior moment. I know there is a thread for "just stuff". But I can't remember it...
Could it be "Stray Thoughts"? Although in this case it's more of a "strayed away" thought. If you want to bookmark it so that it's handy for next time, you can hop onto the thread here: Stray Thoughts 2.0

After being in unbelievable pain since last Thursday morning, my meds arrived around six tonight. So far I have a gabapentin, two Tramadols, one Oxycodone and two Tylynol in me and the pain is still throbbing. Sometimes it gets so intense, it knocks the breath right out of me. Last night the pain was so bad that I was trying to hold my breath. Wrong move! When I went to take a breath, I couldn't take in enough oxygen. So the next thing was chest pains. Oh, oh! I took a hit of my nitro spray, laid down (more like sitting up), and a hit on my inhaler. Calmed myself down as much as I could, and in about five or so minutes I was fine, but still in a lot of pain. Poor Pirate. There was absolutely nothing he could do to make the situation better. He was so upset, he started to cry. Once I got myself under control, I had to calm him down.

You are so right. Those nerve endings got a good grip and wanted all their buddies back. They weren't and haven't quit with the pain. So right now I am waiting for that fourth hour and then I can take another Oxycodone. Hopefully it will find its mate and they can work together to rid me of pain. Even if it for just a little while.

I am usually very tolerant of pain. But not like I have had these past few days. But I am still alive and I am sure I will be the winner in the end.

Thanks for the support PF. It means a lot to me. So many folks in the building have stopped me and told me that every night I am in their prayers. I just wish I wouldn't burst into tears every time I try to say "thank you" to them. I guess it is just part of the 'mourning process.'
Addie, tears are good for a lot of reasons, not least for relieving stress and pain.

It's unfortunate that most of us, both women and men, are brought up to believe that tears are a sign of weakness - they aren't!

Get a couple of boxes of man-sized tissues and "howl" away until you feel better.

Chin up, lovey!

Well, as a lot of you might I guess, I have been absent for a while. On the HOTTEST day we had, 100º and it felt like 105º out, I decided I needed some fresh air and to get out of the apartment. Oh! Did I pay for that. I found the air was so thick along with the humidity, My heart started to race and I couldn't catch my breath. I went back inside and hollered for Pirate to call 911. I thought they would just give me some oxygen and I would be able to go back home. I sure can get some silly ideas in my head. I was there for 5.5 days. They sent me for every scan or test for my heart they could. Going out in that non-air was the worst thing I could have done. A lot of changes were made to my meds and home I went.

I informed Winthrop that I want to leave their program and find another one. So this past Thursday I had a meeting with my PCP, social worker and the Director of the program. Why did I want to leave?

They have been so invasive into my life. Making three appointments in one day for me. Along with a host of other reasons. My PCP was totally unaware of all of all my reasons. I have told them several time and even cancelled appointments that knew I couldn't keep. One appointment a day is all I can handle. I am down to 74 lbs. I don't have the strength to wheel this chair all over hell and creation. I am doing my best and everyone is feeding me all the foods I love. Hopefully I can gain back some of my lost weight. Three appointments in one day is simply TOO MUCH for me to handle. It takes me as long as two/three days to recuperate.

My PCP agreed that my complaints were very valid considering my age and health. So a lot of changes have been made. From now on they will check with me to set up an appointment. And going to Winthrop almost every day has stopped. They also now have the technician come to my home to check my blood levels for my Coumadin. One less trip to Winthrop for a single purpose.

After all my complaints were addressed and corrected, I am now a happy camper. I don't know how long it will last. We will see.

Now on a happy note. When I came home after the removal of my leg, I spent the whole first day weeping. And I couldn't even talk about the loss without crying. Then a couple of nights ago I was watching Trauma, ER. An elderly woman came in with two gunshots to her lower leg. The bone and a couple of main blood supplies were damaged beyond repair. They amputated her left leg at the same spot they did mine. That was all I needed to see. I broke down in a good hard sobbing cry. Something I had been trying to avoid. It was the best thing I could have done for myself.

Everyone has commented that I now have my sense of humor back. I am back to my old self. And I like me better now also. Weather permitting, I now sit outside with the other old biddies in the building.

I have also been trying to be a help to Pirate. Yesterday, it took me over an hour, but I washed the floor in the apartment. It is a very long and wide floor. I did it while sitting in my wheelchair. Push the bucket ahead of me and then bend down to wring the mop out. When Pirate came out of his room he was surprised to see how clean I got it. Didn't miss a spot.

Tomorrow I am going to attempt to stand on one foot with my wheelchair behind me in case I fall backwards, and do the few dishes in the sink. Pirate is going shopping and all the counters need to be empty to place the groceries on as they come out of the bags. I want to get back into my kitchen. Learning to balance on one leg is vital to this goal without falling back on my wheelchair. Pirate completely rearranged the kitchen with this in mind. Any seasonings, all can goods, baking needs are within my reach easily.

Then I will sit at the table and wrap the meats for the freezer. That is a sit down job. So I am making physical progress. I do need to go to Rehab for training on how to move about in the kitchen safely. Right now I am using my own methods. I have no idea if I am doing right or wrong, but it works for me.

Pirate works with me on getting in and out of the shower safely. I have a safety seat and it is quite useful. Makes all the difference.

Oh, by the way, some stupid idiot asked me when I first came home and wanted to talk to no one, if he could see my stump. He had never seen one. I just spun my chair around and left him standing there with his mouth open. I heard a few people yelling at him.

Last edited:
It's nice having someone to struggle with. I envy you.

As your probably know, Pirate is my son. I have an older son who has had eight heart attacks. So the stress of caring for me is out of the question. And my daughter has her own demons with cancer problems for both herself and her husband. The last one lives in Vermont. No help there. I would have preferred to have a daughter care for me. But I am eternally grateful to have my son. If it weren't for him, I would be in a nursing home for the rest of my life.

Sorry, I thought Pirate was your spouse. Being forgiven for that, I'm getting overload with your situation. What a load, Addie.

Last edited:
Sorry, I thought Pirate was your spouse. Being forgiven for that, I'm getting overload with your situation. What a load, Addie.

It is not easy. But at least I have my sense of humor back. That gets me through a lot of misery. My kids are just great. They have my sense of humor also. My daughter brought me a plant that was set in a Flamingo container. The reason for the Flamingo? They stand on one leg also. They now call me "I lean." And there are a lot more gems they have come up with. This has been going on since I came to after the surgery. No time was wasted. While I was still under the effect of the anesthesia, the four of them were coming up with all their gems. They certainly do not pamper me. They just take real good care of me and are very protective.

When I first came home from the hospital, everyone in this building was knocking on the door. They wanted to come in and see how I was doing. Pirate finally had to put a note on the door stating that I was not receiving company. And I put up a note on the bulletin board stating that I cannot talk to people at the moment. If I go past you without greeting you, I am not being rude, I just need time. They understood and left me alone, until I was ready to talk to people again. One idiot asked me if he could see my stump. He had never seen one. I just spun around and left him standing there. I did hear some of the other folks yelling at him as I was getting on the elevator.

My oldest son Spike makes sure I have whatever I want in the line of food. He stops by each day in the morning and again at night. And he brings Teddy with him. Teddy is our family dog. He belongs to all of us. Even though Spike is the one whose name is on his birth certificate. And he is acts like a therapy dog. The first day I was home, he came up on my bed and laid down with me. That day all I could do was cry. Teddy saw that and started to lick my face where all the tears were. So you see, all my kids and even the dog are taking real good care of me.

Just one last thing. At least once a day as Pirate passes me, he stops and gives me a kiss on top of my head and then calls me I Lean.

Well two days ago, I took my first fall. No, I wasn't hurt. It happened in the kitchen. I was trying to do two things at the same time and forgot to hold on with one hand. No biggie! I did bang the back of my left shoulder on the handle of the bottom cabinet. It hurt for a short time, but Pirate massaged it for about two or three minutes and the pain was gone. And yes, I did report it to Winthrop.

So the next day, the nurse in charge of Rehab, came to my home to see my kitchen and why I fell. She was quite satisfied with how I handled it all. You cannot be taking a large cup of tea out of the micro, and try to wash the silverware in the sink at the same time.

And then I wanted to wash my synthetic fur coat as winter will be here shortly. (I can only hope!) When I leave the apartment, I have to use my scooter. I have to go up the ramp when I come back to my home. Well, there are two carpets in the laundry room. As I tried to get to the machine where my coat was, my rear wheels were eating the carpet. Before you knew it, the strain broke the key while it was in the lock. Fortunately Two of the maintenance men were right there to help me. But I certainly can ride the scooter back to my apartment. So Dom released the electrical system and pushed it onto the elevator and right into my apartment. But I still had a major problem. The bottom half of the key was still in the lock. Spike to the rescue once again. He brought a magnet with him and got the bottom half out in a matter of a few seconds. Fortunately, I had a second key. All is well in my world again.

Time to go out and wash the silverware.

Well two days ago, I took my first fall. No, I wasn't hurt. It happened in the kitchen. I was trying to do two things at the same time and forgot to hold on with one hand. No biggie! I did bang the back of my left shoulder on the handle of the bottom cabinet. It hurt for a short time, but Pirate massaged it for about two or three minutes and the pain was gone. And yes, I did report it to Winthrop.

So the next day, the nurse in charge of Rehab, came to my home to see my kitchen and why I fell. She was quite satisfied with how I handled it all. You cannot be taking a large cup of tea out of the micro, and try to wash the silverware in the sink at the same time.

And then I wanted to wash my synthetic fur coat as winter will be here shortly. (I can only hope!) When I leave the apartment, I have to use my scooter. I have to go up the ramp when I come back to my home. Well, there are two carpets in the laundry room. As I tried to get to the machine where my coat was, my rear wheels were eating the carpet. Before you knew it, the strain broke the key while it was in the lock. Fortunately Two of the maintenance men were right there to help me. But I certainly can ride the scooter back to my apartment. So Dom released the electrical system and pushed it onto the elevator and right into my apartment. But I still had a major problem. The bottom half of the key was still in the lock. Spike to the rescue once again. He brought a magnet with him and got the bottom half out in a matter of a few seconds. Fortunately, I had a second key. All is well in my world again.

Time to go out and wash the silverware.
Oh dear, poor you. You'd better go to bed and stay there until the Fates forget that things go in threes!!

I'm really impressed with how well you're getting on. Many people of our age with your current problems would have given up the ghost and let "them" put her in a home for the dilapidated. Three cheers for you (and that is not meant to be patronising).

Oh dear, poor you. You'd better go to bed and stay there until the Fates forget that things go in threes!!

I'm really impressed with how well you're getting on. Many people of our age with your current problems would have given up the ghost and let "them" put her in a home for the dilapidated. Three cheers for you (and that is not meant to be patronizing).

I didn't take it as patronizing. Each day I find one chore that I think I can do. The other day I took my dry mop and cleaned the whole floor in the big room. Then I got the bucket, put some water and cleaning fluid in it, and then washed the whole floor. It took me more than an hour to get it all done. But I Did it!!!

I also have a commode next to my bed. Of course it does have to be emptied, so I just push it ahead of me with my foot and into the bathroom. Dump it, flush it, and then get the pan I keep in there for cleaning the toilet.

So little by little I am learning new skills and relieving Pirate of having to do a lot of the housework. Pirate is the only one who uses the toilet. That gives him a little quirk of his own. He doesn't have to put the seat down.

Pirate has to do all my shopping. He doesn't know it yet, but he is going to take me with him next month. So here comes a big blowup between us.

Thanks for the encouraging words. They are what keeps me going. I had my time for crying and now I am ready to take on the world.

Well, I can't find where I posted regarding my dancing at my grandson's wedding. So I will respond here.

PF, your post jogged my memory of my teenage years. The church choirs went up to the Tewksbury State Hospital to spread some cheer among the permanent residents there.

The day we went, they were showing The Wizard Of Oz. After the movie, the hospital staff played some music and the choirs danced with all of the patients, in and out of wheelchairs. It was a lot of fun. So I will be dancing with my grandson.

Well, I can't find where I posted regarding my dancing at my grandson's wedding. So I will respond here.

PF, your post jogged my memory of my teenage years. The church choirs went up to the Tewksbury State Hospital to spread some cheer among the permanent residents there.

The day we went, they were showing The Wizard Of Oz. After the movie, the hospital staff played some music and the choirs danced with all of the patients, in and out of wheelchairs. It was a lot of fun. So I will be dancing with my grandson.

Excellent... :)

Ross

Perfect! Good for your spirits, too!

Let us know when you are entering "Celebrity Come Dancing" so we can all watch.

(Not sure if you get that TV programme. The famous competitors - mostly TV "celebrities" - learn to do ball-room dancing to competition level with a professional ball-room dancer and then they all compete.)

Last edited:

(Not sure if you get that TV programme. The famous competitors - mostly TV "celebrities" - learn to do ball-room dancing to competition level with a professional ball-room dancer and then they all compete.)

It is called Dancing with the Stars over here. I've never watched it -- except to watch Governor Goodhair dance the Green Acres. :ROFLMAO:

CD

Yes we do. But the name is different and called "Dancing With The Stars". Don't call my daughter on Monday nights when it is on. She will not answer the phone and most likely will not call you back even if you leave a message.

I think when I am on, I will do a ballet number all by my lone!

Back
Top Bottom