The Sick Room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Drink 2 tablespoons of lemon juice every day, you can mix it with water and sweetener if you like. Bottled juice is fine. This helps break them down before they break you down. I have suggested this to several people and they have had no further problems with passing stones.
THAT is a tip I will try out immediately.. Thank you... :)

I don't know if I'm still passing stones or just having healing pains but I'm not loving this..
I have a Friday appointment with my PCP and will question him deeply..
Bless the ER staff but, they seemed so busy that I really didn't get all the information I'd hoped for..

Ross

THAT is a tip I will try out immediately.. Thank you... :)

I don't know if I'm still passing stones or just having healing pains but I'm not loving this..
I have a Friday appointment with my PCP and will question him deeply..
Bless the ER staff but, they seemed so busy that I really didn't get all the information I'd hoped for..

Ross

Dad drinks up to 6 tablespoons of lemon juice a day, (he drinks it straight and he has other weird habits). But he hates kidney stones so much more than straight lemon juice.

Really, anything that acidifies your urine is helpful.

Dad drinks up to 6 tablespoons of lemon juice a day, (he drinks it straight and he has other weird habits). But he hates kidney stones so much more than straight lemon juice.

Really, anything that acidifies your urine is helpful.
LOL at that in bold... My kinda guy.. :LOL:

I will do this... :)

Ross

...if anyone is in the mood for praying, my cousin Rick and his family could use some sent their way. His wife took him to the OR because she noticed some odd symptoms. The doctors found a small tumor on his brain; he will be undergoing surgery tomorrow...
Well, I have an update about cousin Rick - and right now it's pretty gloomy. Early pathology indicates that his tumor is a glioblastoma, although there is a 0.5% chance the initial diagnosis is wrong, so all of our fingers and toes are crossed. There were two parts of the tumor that could not be removed - one piece is wrapped around a large blood vessel, the other near the middle of the brain along the division between the two halves. The MRI shows that that second part appears to have penetrated the blood brain barrier. Damn.

If you're a praying person, pray for a miracle for Rick, Tina, and their two daughters.

Ross, they say that a man passing a kidney stone is like giving birth. The world would have ended long ago if woman never gave birth another chance.

Hope you never have to do it again.:flowers:

Ross, they say that a man passing a kidney stone is like giving birth. The world would have ended long ago if woman never gave birth another chance.

Hope you never have to do it again.:flowers:
Yes... The ER doc told me that's as close as a man gets to childbirth...

I cringe when I think of women going through worse than passing a stone.. :ohmy:

Ross

Yes... The ER doc told me that's as close as a man gets to childbirth...

I cringe when I think of women going through worse than passing a stone.. :ohmy:

Ross

This is the reason folks serve up breakfast in bed on mothers day AND clean up the kitchen after ;)

Thanks for all of the good thoughts and prayers for Rick, who is technically Himself's blood cousin. Once you're married into that family, though, you really are part of The Family.

I hate to see the problems you and others are having, health wise..
Putting things in proper perspective, makes me understand that I really have things pretty good..
My thoughts are with you and all who suffer health issues..

Ross
Ross,
Health problems are health problems - it doesn't matter who it is or what is wrong. We all have our challenges and as we get older, the problems increase or start if you have been fortunate enough to stay healthy. I seem to have won the lottery when it comes to health challenges but I know that there are those who are way worse off than me, like CG's hubby's cousin. Thanks, though for the thoughts and well wishes. I will take them from anyone any time, anywhere.

Update on Rick

Well, I have some good news, and I have some bad news. First, the good. Rick is going home today, Sunday. The doctor promised him he'll be home by the time football games start at 1:00 PM, even though his beloved Eagles beat the hapless Giants this past Thursday. After all, there are future opponents to scout!

Now the not-so-good news: tests confirmed that the tumor is a glioblastoma. I guess that the symptoms that had his wife having him checked out are what they shared on the family website - that Rick has lost some peripheral vision on the left side when looking out in the distance, and that he has some weakness in his left hand/arm. They haven't said anything about doctor predictions, but from what I've read online, estimates depend on how much was removed and what damage the tumor has done to the brain. From what they have shared, it would not surprise me if Rick is gone with six months. :cry:

I've told Himself that we need to get to PA to visit. Going to a wake can be sad and hard (except this side of the family is so good with celebrating the life of the deceased it's more like a party), but personally I would like to visit with Rick while he's still cracking jokes!

Keep the family in your good thoughts and prayers. The young wife and two teen-age daughters are going to need all the support they can get.

I have been having pain in my left hip for the past month. Well, enough pain that I haven't even been going downstairs and I have been using a cane just to walk around at home. I finally got myself to a walk in clinic. I had to use a walk in clinic because my doctor just closed her practice, so I no longer have a family doctor. Anyhoo, this doctor said she though it was osteoarthritis. She sent me for X-rays and they confirm that it is. In fact, she was surprised by how much there was. It's only in my left hip joint. She said I will probably need a hip replacement at some point. :ermm: :cry: She gave me a referral to get a cortisone injection.

I am now doing some research about osteoarthritis. I will probably get a second opinion about options. The doctor didn't seem up-to-date on new research and possible treatments. Also, she didn't want to think about marijuana for pain, even though recreational marijuana is now legal here in Canada. "Well, you could try it, but we don't recommend it." I think I want a doctor who has a more open mind.

I have been having pain in my left hip for the past month. Well, enough pain that I haven't even been going downstairs and I have been using a cane just to walk around at home. I finally got myself to a walk in clinic. I had to use a walk in clinic because my doctor just closed her practice, so I no longer have a family doctor. Anyhoo, this doctor said she though it was osteoarthritis. She sent me for X-rays and they confirm that it is. In fact, she was surprised by how much there was. It's only in my left hip joint. She said I will probably need a hip replacement at some point. :ermm: :cry: She gave me a referral to get a cortisone injection.

I am now doing some research about osteoarthritis. I will probably get a second opinion about options. The doctor didn't seem up-to-date on new research and possible treatments. Also, she didn't want to think about marijuana for pain, even though recreational marijuana is now legal here in Canada. "Well, you could try it, but we don't recommend it." I think I want a doctor who has a more open mind.

I feel your pain. Yesterday I went to Rheumatology for my hands. I got three cortisone shots right into the joints that were swollen. Boy, did that HURT But in three months I will gladly go back for more shots if needed. I had lost the use of my right hand and got a shot right at the thumb where it is attached to the wrist. Today, I am using both hands with no pain.

My previous Rheumatologist left to have her baby. She always gave me the shots right under my fingernails. It was like I had been given new hands. This new doctor gave me the shots right into the joint.

I too have had the shots in both hips. My body is riddled with arthritis. For the first time in years, I could walk more than ten feet before the pain set in. After the shots, I stopped using my scooter to make runs to the store and walked instead. Today with only one leg, that is no longer a problem for me.

My advice is to go for the shots. It is very painful when you get them, but take a calming medication if possible before you go. Oh, BTW, they do spray the area of injection with Novocain before they give you the shot. That helps quite a bit.

Today, I can now type with all fingers, open a jar, and a host of other activities that I haven't been able to do for a long time. By the time I got home from the visit, I could move and use all fingers on both hands. And there is no residual pain. For what little pain that comes with the injection, it is well worth the relief you will receive.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. And make sure it is a Rheumatologist that you see and not a PCP. Do let us know what you decide to do.

Look at your local hospital that has a clinic with it. They should have a listing of Rheumatologists with their education, and how many years in practice, etc. A teaching hospital should have one.

Well, finally I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I went to Winthrop this morning so they could see what is left of the ulcer of my right leg. And they changed the dressing changes to every other day now, and my new dressing is only a BANDAID! No more Aqua Cell with Silver. So in about seven days no more nurses coming and no more dressing changes.

The nightmare is over!!!

Thank you to all of you for listening to my rants and ravings over this past year. There is nothing like having a bunch of friends who care.

Talking of kidney stones, I know how it feels, about 10 years ago I had stone, it paralysed me for about 6 hrs. I was doubled up on the bed and couldn't move because of the pain. If that's like giving birth, I wouldn't have any kids. Apart from that I'm pretty near 100%.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom