The Sick Room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...I ended up having to see a state office worker and explain my situation to receive Medi-Cal. It was up to her whether or not to approve me. She did after the interview. I'm just saying, I didn't get approved with just mouse and keyboard clicks. ;)

I understand each case is different.
I enrolled my 88-yr old mother last year with SCAN as a new enrollee. She already had both Medi-Cal and Medicare from before and I was able to enroll her in their Medicare+Medi-Cal plan right over the internet. No hassle.

I understand each case is different.
I enrolled my 88-yr old mother last year with SCAN as a new enrollee. She already had both Medi-Cal and Medicare from before and I was able to enroll her in their Medicare+Medi-Cal plan right over the internet. No hassle.

I'll look into it roadfix. As far as having Medi-Cal which pretty much covers whatever it covers...I should try and maximize any Medi-Care benefits by enrolling in it . I thought the two might conflict, negating one of them.

Last edited:
I'll look into it roadfix. As far as having Medi-Cal which pretty much covers whatever it covers...I should try and maximize any Medi-Care benefits by enrolling in it . I thought the two might conflict, negating one of them.

They should not conflict. When applying for a Medicare plan they generally ask you if you are already under Medi-Cal.
I don’t know what the Medi-Cal regulation is, if there is one, where if you qualify for Medicare you must enroll in it....??

I know that several of you take multiple medications daily. Is there an app that you use to keep track of them daily, with reminders?

Mark is having a hard time managing his meds; some of them can be dangerous. I need an app that’s simple to use, that tracks each of his meds and gives him a reminder about the next dose.

In the past, I set up a simple spread sheet for him. But it became too complicated for him. If you do use an app that you’re satisfied with, please give me a recommendation. He’s overdosed before (not intentionally), and I don’t want that to happen again! He’s currently using paper and pen to track, but his writing is illegible, and he frequently forgets to write things down. Other times, he’ll write it down without taking it. I try to help him manage his meds, but I’m gone nearly every day for several hours.

If any of you can help me, I’d very much appreciate it!

Thanks GG! This may be just right.

Medisafe app is a great one.We use it.I like being able to check back and see what time a certain medication has been taken.
You can also add or delete them from the list when necessary.
It also nags you when it's time.Just what a guy wants to hear a nagging take your meds app.Just like a wife. :LOL:

Munky.

They should not conflict. When applying for a Medicare plan they generally ask you if you are already under Medi-Cal.
I don’t know what the Medi-Cal regulation is, if there is one, where if you qualify for Medicare you must enroll in it....??

Medicare as I understand it, still has co-pay cost plans. Medi-Cal doesn't.
However, Medi-Cal covers about it all, but with a waiting time (As I've experienced).

I'm going to have to look into this further.

I had a whole bunch of appointments schedule for March. The month I turned 62. All of a sudden on March 11th, I received a notice from the hospital where these appointments were, that due to my increase in age that I now qualify for Medicare, and not private insurance. Please call your doctors office and reschedule your appointments. Only one doctor's office refused Medicare patients. Not a big loss for me. I didn't like him anyway.

I even received a notice from my private insurance company that my insurance was no longer in effect. But I could purchase Copay insurance if I chose to.

I have private insurance now with Kaiser Permanente. I am not quite 65 yet but I started drawing SS after I turned 62. And since I am already collecting SS, enrollment in Medicare will be automatic when I turn 65, no choice. At that point I will switch to Kaiser Permanente's Medicare Advantage Plan and will be able to continue to see the same doctors, so no change there.

I think it is time for me to leave the sick room.

Monday, I took "The Ride "to Market Basket with Spike as my caretaker. He rode free. Spike took one half of the store and I covered the other half. We will repeat this again next month, only I will take the first half and he the other half. If I do as good again as Monday, I will try it on my own, alone in January.

I am on my way to my independence again. Of course I will always need someone to reach anything placed up high. But there are plenty of really nice employees at the Market Basket. They always help with a big smile.

I just spent last Thursday night and then Saturday morning in the ER with something the first doctor on Thursday said was a TIA (mini-stroke) and the second doctor on Saturday said he didn't think it was, but he couldn't tell me what else it could be.

My cousin says she hears of people getting these in their sleep all the time and doesn't think they're that dangerous (I have to admit, if I had been asleep, I wouldn't have known I had one). My regular doctor sort of blew off my concerns. But reading up on them on Google, they do sound dangerous.

Anyone here have anything they can add to clear up the confusion?

I'm looking for another doctor, though, so at least I'll get a second opinion.

Last edited:
I just spent last Thursday night and then Saturday morning in the ER with something the first doctor on Thursday said was a TIA (mini-stroke) and the second doctor on Saturday said he didn't think it was, but he couldn't tell me what else it could be.

My cousin says she hears of people getting these in their sleep all the time and doesn't think they're that dangerous (I have to admit, if I had been asleep, I wouldn't have known I had one). My regular doctor sort of blew off my concerns. But reading up on them on Google, they do sound dangerous.

Anyone here have anything they can add to clear up the confusion?

I'm looking for another doctor, though, so at least I'll get a second opinion.
From what I've read, a TIA is a temporary condition that resolves itself, but it can mean the patient has a higher risk of having an actual stroke. I would ask my doctor for a recommendation for a neurologist.

This site has more information, including things you can do to reduce your risk of having a stroke. Think about your diet and exercise habits whether you might need to make changes.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...-ischemic-attack/symptoms-causes/syc-20355679

From what I've read, a TIA is a temporary condition that resolves itself, but it can mean the patient has a higher risk of having an actual stroke. I would ask my doctor for a recommendation for a neurologist.

This site has more information, including things you can do to reduce your risk of having a stroke. Think about your diet and exercise habits whether you might need to make changes.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...-ischemic-attack/symptoms-causes/syc-20355679
Good link.

I went to the ER in 2008 with extreme double vision and every doctor tested me for TIA. They did a bunch of tests, like "follow my finger with your eyes" and checking if my hand strength was the same in each hand. They asked if I had had trouble talking or had had slurred speech and some other stuff. They did a CT scan. They finally said that it was definitely not a TIA. It was probably a weird form of migraine. They gave me a referral to the hospital ophthalmology department to rule out an eye cause. It never did get satisfactorily explained.

My mum had two or three strokes and a number of TIAs. Back in the 1970s, doctors told her there was no such thing as a mini-stroke, which was how she described it, because it felt similar to the stroke she had had. Mini-stroke is one of the ways TIAs are described now.

Rodentraiser, I think asking for a referral to neurologist, as GG suggested, would be a good idea.

I just spent last Thursday night and then Saturday morning in the ER with something the first doctor on Thursday said was a TIA...My cousin says she hears of people getting these in their sleep all the time and doesn't think they're that dangerous (I have to admit, if I had been asleep, I wouldn't have known I had one)...
rr, GG and taxy gave you good advice. FWIW, I had an aunt who experienced TIAs for many years, probably starting sometime in her 70s. She lived to 96 and was decently healthy for a woman her age. Her biggest medical challenge was poor hearing.

Good luck finding a doctor who helps you through this hurdle.

Thank you, GG, that is a good link. Thank you also Taxlady and CG.

I'm supposed to have a last MRI in January because of the aneurysm I had 4 years ago and my doctor there is head of neurology. I'm thinking of calling on Monday and asking if I should come in earlier.

I haven't called my eye doctor yet. Guess I'll do that on Monday as well.

I had double vision, light-headedness, and some tingling in my lips on one side. On my first visit to the ER, they did an MRI, an MRA, and an EKG. The second time I ended up there they did a second EKG.

It sounds like there really isn't anything else they can do. For sure I can lose a lot of weight, but I don't know about exercising with my back as bad as it is. I'll be moving to my lot in March or April and that will be good for a couple of reasons. I won't be sitting in front of the computer all day and I will be getting much more exercise than I am now.

Guess I have to hold on till then. :unsure:

I got the best news Today.

For the past couple of years I have had an ulcer on each leg. One led to the leg being amputated.

Since I came home from the surgery, I have had a nurse here every other day to check on the other ulcer. No more nurse visits. The ulcer has finally closed completely. They finally listened to me. By letting the air get at it, a scab formed over it and it healed itself!

They insisted that I needed a band-aid at the least. So I would let the nurse put one on, an as soon as she would leave I would take it right off.

We have a very serious traffic problem in Eastie every morning. We would sit at a stand still for almost an hour or even longer just to get in town to see the doctor that was taking care of the second ulcer. I finally threw a tizzy fit and refused to go see him for a simple five minute visit. Just long enough to put a band aid on it.

It has only taken eleven years to get them to believe me when I say "I know what I am doing." A person doesn't raise five kids, three of them boys, without knowing something about healing boo boos and owies. I was only lacking someone to kiss my boo boos and make them all better.

A friend mentioned to me that I should consider eliminating solanine from my diet, because it can aggravate inflammation and can be a problem for people with arthritis. That's in much of the nightshade family. I did some research and it seems to be backed up by science.

So, I am doing a two week test to see if it helps. No potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, or capsicum (both sweet and hot). I've been doing it for about a week. I noticed improvement after two days. When the two weeks are over, I will start adding back foods one at a time, so I can see if it's all or just some of them. Some are apparently worse than others. Of all of the things I'm not eating now, it's the hot peppers I miss the most.

A friend mentioned to me that I should consider eliminating solanine from my diet, because it can aggravate inflammation and can be a problem for people with arthritis. That's in much of the nightshade family. I did some research and it seems to be backed up by science.

So, I am doing a two week test to see if it helps. No potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, or capsicum (both sweet and hot). I've been doing it for about a week. I noticed improvement after two days. When the two weeks are over, I will start adding back foods one at a time, so I can see if it's all or just some of them. Some are apparently worse than others. Of all of the things I'm not eating now, it's the hot peppers I miss the most.
Interesting. Can you point me to the research you found?

Are you keeping a chart or something to track your response?

Interesting. Can you point me to the research you found?

Are you keeping a chart or something to track your response?
D'oh! I forgot to take note of where I found it. There sure were a lot of links that were mostly woo.

Yes, I'm keeping track in a spreadsheet. The improvement has increased. Of course it might just be that the flare I was having is going away. I'll have a better idea as I add foods back and over time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom