Wedding cup cakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kyles

Head Chef
Ok folks, has anyone ever done this? I am planning on having cup cakes for my wedding cake, chocolate, plain and spice or carrot. I'm planning on doing half iced simply with coloured butter frosting, and the other half decorated.

I think there are going to be (gulp, gasp) 250 folk at the wedding :ROFLMAO: So that's 250 cup cakes!!!!! Egads!

Do you think this is a good idea or not??? I'm kinda thinking that I might be putting myself under too much pressure, but then again something physical to do might keep me focussed and less stressed out about stuff outside my control! And besides, I am having (oh my goodness) 7 bridesmaids (one adult, the rest kids) who I am sure can be drafted in to assist!

Hopefully this is your one and only wedding! So I say Go for it!!!
The carrot cake ones sound good to me...with some type cream cheese icing. Variety will be nice also.

works for the good folk of west virginia!!

art2redneckweddingcake.jpg

:LOL:

This is a pic of a dear friend in PA's daughter's wedding cupcakes. It is work but sure saves on the bride having to cut the cake!!
img_367859_0_6ab9be58cc2c5633ef47d56cb84fd72f.jpg
Much of this can be baked ahead of time and frozen; just remember to take out the day or so before to frost (frosting the cupcakes while they are still frozen will help make it easy!). Congratulations Kyles!!!! I say go for it too!!!!

Last edited:
I think it's a great idea, Kyles. Another nice point is that they're easily taken home by guests if they'd rather enjoy them later. Try Googling "wedding cupcakes". I just did and there are tons of finds, from pictures to how-tos.

Good luck! Be sure in the midst of your wedding madness you take pictures for us!:)

My fiancee and I plan to do this. I think we're going for an elaborate decorative wedding cake just for show, but cupcakes to eat. And we've actually decided to go off the beaten path as far as the food goes. It's going to be an evening/night wedding, and to keep it light we're having desserts only. Well, wines and liquors as well, of course but as for the food we're sticking to fancy little desserts and mini cheesecakes, fresh fruit and a chocolate fountain, and more, I'm sure.

When it comes to weddings, I say enjoy yourself, and do things like you want them to be done. Go for the cupcakes, it will be a classy way to have a little fun with your wedding cake.

college_cook said:
My fiancee and I plan to do this. I think we're going for an elaborate decorative wedding cake just for show, but cupcakes to eat.

Will the cake be a form with icing on it? I've just never heard of a wedding cake for 'show'.

I would love to eat my way through your dessert buffet. :pig:

Kyles, if you have that many helpers on hand to do cupcakes with you, and it will help you de-stress, then go for it! I'd go with a cake that someone else makes, but then again, Im not a baker type person.

Half Baked said:
Will the cake be a form with icing on it? I've just never heard of a wedding cake for 'show'.

I think we're going to get a very heavily decorated cake with fondant flowers and the like. You know all those cakes that look "too good to eat", that's what she wants.

Loprraine said:
Kyles, are you planning on making and decorating them yourself?

Yes she is, see her first post. She will make the cupcakes (vanilla, chocolate, spiced or carrott, and then ice them).

I love baking, but I don't do it often, due to my weight loss journey. I really want something personal at the wedding. And I'm trying to save some money too.

PA Baker, I thought the same, that after a huge meal, people don't necessarily want cake, so they can take their little cup cake home.

I'll make a small normal size cake to go on top, so we have something to cut!

We don't yet have a freezer, but hopefully we will before the wedding, which is still 20 or so months away yet!

kyles said:
Ok folks, has anyone ever done this? I am planning on having cup cakes for my wedding cake, chocolate, plain and spice or carrot. I'm planning on doing half iced simply with coloured butter frosting, and the other half decorated.

I think there are going to be (gulp, gasp) 250 folk at the wedding :ROFLMAO: So that's 250 cup cakes!!!!! Egads!

Do you think this is a good idea or not??? I'm kinda thinking that I might be putting myself under too much pressure, but then again something physical to do might keep me focussed and less stressed out about stuff outside my control! And besides, I am having (oh my goodness) 7 bridesmaids (one adult, the rest kids) who I am sure can be drafted in to assist!

Well, Kyles, sorry to be a party pooper before the party, but I'm 'kinda thinking that you might be putting yourself under too much pressure' too!

Coordinating 7 bridesmaids who might or might not know how to cook/decorate? No thanks!

250 guests is either 20+ muffin pans if you're talking 12 muffins/cupcakes per pan, or just about 14 muffin pans if you're talking 18 muffins per pan. Even if you can fit, maybe, 4 pans in your oven at once, that's still a lot of baking time and I'll bet the jolly feeling will wear off mighty quick. Besides, that's a great deal of cake batter -- I'm guessing from your other posts which mention a small kitchen that you're not equipped with anything other than a normal-sized home mixer, right? Then that would mean batch after batch, measuring butter, creaming butter, sifting flour ... yikes!

As for decorating, have you done enough of it that it would be stress-free? Yes, you can do the 'dip and twirl' type of icing which is easier, but still, 250+ is a LOT of cakes to dip and twirl. Plus, a lot of icing to make, so same comments again about your mixer and batches.

Then, there's the eating: yes, guests could take the cake home, but I'll bet many wouldn't (messy unless you're providing little bags which would be nice, but adds to the cost). Also, unlike a proper wedding cake, cupcakes tend to be less pleasant to eat -- because they're not torted and filled (layers sliced into thinner layers), they're just dry cake. Not so good.

Shall I continue?!

Then there's transporting 250 iced cupcakes. How will you do this? WHO will do this? Getting cake to the site and all set-up is part of the cost of hiring a professional.

And as for that fake cake for show, you would hardly save money that way. If it's a truly lovely cake with sugar flowers or other intricate decorations, the least of the cost is the cake and the most is the labor involved. Mind you, you might get ahold of a rental fake-cake which means it has appeared elsewhere and been dusted off for your wedding, but, ummm, ick? A proper cake of such a type should look delicate and fresh, not dusty or broken or, God-forbid, sturdy. And I fear you might encounter any or all of these.

Go with the cupcakes if you must, but consider having at least a Plan B -- a local bakery who will be able to provide a last-minute substitute if needed.

Last edited:
"Fake Cake" was someone else, not me! Mine would be real for us to cut, and for our friends to share.

Any cake is going to have an element of wastage. A huge tiered thing isn't highly practical either, but it's still done, right.

My baking plan would be to bake two batches each weekend for about 6 weeks before. A batch wouldn't take so long, and if frozen, will keep fresh.

A professional tiered cake is just not what I want. I want something different, which suits our informal style of wedding.

kyles, making your own cakes for your wedding is a good idea but as Ayrton has mentioned takes a lot of your time especially when you have other more important things to take care of. May I suggest making fruitcake with icing instead as it doesn't need freezing. Alplus factor in this is that you can do it well in advance, cut into pieces and wrap them up ready for presenting to your guests. This is what most wedding couples do in Singapore when they want to have a 'dummy' wedding cake and all the frills except that it is done by the hotel itself or the place where the reception is being held. For those who can afford to splurge, another highlight is pouring champagne on champagne glasses stacked in a pyramid.

Okay Kyles, I hear you! (And sorry about the 'fake cake' confusion -- poor reading skills on my part! :blush:)

Since you're determined to go with cupcakes (which I gather are really "in" right now), would you mind me offering some thoughts regarding logistics to help you make it work? I'd hate for this to go wrong for you on such a special day, especially with so many guests.

-- Go ahead and freeze if you must, but wrap them well. Freezing can really dry cake out. You're certainly right that making them well ahead is one way to avoid a last-minute panic if something goes wrong with the cakes themselves. However, do you have refrigeration/storage space for the cakes once they're decorated? You've got to figure that out unless you plan on decorating them the morning of your wedding.

-- Yes, you're right that both layer and cup cakes can have an element of wastage (although in both cases, make arrangements ahead of time for the leftovers). Cupcakes, however, can't be stretched like cake can should you be running short, so bear that in mind and plan something like 300. You'd be kidding yourself if you thought the wait and kitchen staff at your reception hall won't be having some cake!

-- The deecoration on the cakes can be simple but, massed together, still really effective. But, 250-300 cupcake tops is fiddly work! Can you handle a pastry bag and a simple piping tip? If you can, it's actually quicker and easier to get consistent results, and can look a bit nicer than just spatuled-on icing as well.

-- Transporting the cupcakes is still potentially problematic. Per kilo of weight, cupcakes have a much bigger "footprint" than a layer cake. You can't just put them on trays because trays don't stack. You'll need to get ahold of good bakery boxes, sturdy boxes that will stand at least a couple of layers of stacking. You will need to determine in whose car the cakes will fit and who will take the responsibility for loading them at home and unloading them at the reception site. If you can fit about 9 cupcakes into boxes, that's over 30 boxes to handle! Sweaty work for a bathed, dressed-up guest...

-- You need to give plenty of thought ahead of time to the presentation of the cupcakes. If you're thinking of them on stacked conical display stands, price ahead the cost of hire (in the U.K. something like 30 Pounds for a single stand which holds less than 40 cup cakes?!) or purchase. If you purchase them, it could still add plenty to your budget since they can cost well above $100 for a single large PVC stand. However, there is a stand available (cupcaketree.com - Home - Cupcaketree com) which holds a significant number (supposedly up to 300) and is reasonably priced (less than 50 USD) which you could get shipped over to you if you can't source it in the U.K., however, it's of corrugated cardboard so maybe thinking about disguise decoration would be in order!

-- one advantage I can think of with cupcakes is that you wouldn't have to pay a cutting/serving fee wherever you're having your reception (you still might be charged for someone to do whatever handling's needed, though -- storage, unpacking, setting out, refilling ...). Since there'd be no cutting & plating involved, however, your guests would be served marginally more quickly.

No other suggestions! Do your homework, though, including adding up the real cost of making them versus someone else doing it (and there are some in-between-the-two possibilities you could consider, like having a bakery make them but you decorating -- you'd get the bakery boxes free that way :cool: !). Lots of hidden costs and time and trouble involved in making your own, but it can be done and might just be something you'll remember afterwards as being a really great part of your involvement in your own wedding ...

Last edited:
Are you getting married in the UK or Australia? I think cup cakes look great and would be lovely in a variety of flavours. Congratualtions btw too.:)

Yo Kyles....

Just thught I would mention that it has become kinda "trendy" to have a "groom"s" cake here in my area of the U.S. Don't know about where you are.

Maybe one of his favorites....served seperately from the rest.
Mine would be some kind of chocolate/amaretto/kahlua.etc.

Could you buy decorations (perhaps in bulk to save some money to go on the top). A little flowery thing or something weddingish.

I know that you have mentioned you would like to do this yourself but it sounds like a huge job. Could you make a few practice batches with a group of friends so that you get all the cupcakes to look similar. Then have each person make 50 or so. 250-300 cupcakes sounds like a huge job!

Goodluck. I think it sounds like a great idea. Love the idea of a kuhlua flavoured cake too uncle Bob!

Back
Top Bottom