What are you baking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Made these on Sunday. Sooooo good. Hope you'll try them!
Blueberry Buns (Open Window Bakery)​
Dough: 1 pcg. Active dry yeast; ½ c warm water; 3 c flour; 1/3 c sugar; 1 tsp. salt; 3 Tbsp.Crisco; 2 eggs; ½ tsp. vanilla.
Filling: 2 c fresh or thawed frozen blueberries (I used more…not sure how much); ½ c sugar; scant 1 Tbsp. Cornstarch dissolved in ¼ c water; ¼ tsp. salt. One egg beaten with 1 tsp. water for egg wash; sugar for sprinkling.
In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in the water. Let stand until mixture begins to bubble, about 5 min. Sift tog. Flour, sugar and salt. Place in the bowl of an electric mixer (I used the Cuisinart with the dough hook). Add shortening, yeast and water, eggs and vanilla and beat until dough is smooth. (I had to put in a wee bit extra water) Let stand while preparing filling.(I covered it with a towel)
Mix filling ingred. In a med. saucepan. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer uncovered for 5 min. stirring occasionally, until mix. Thickens. Remove from heat and let cool.
On a well floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8" thickness….(I made the dough quite thin). Cut dough into 5" sq. pieces..(I made them smaller). Place 1 Tbsp. Filling in centre of square, then fold dough over on top and pinch to close, pinch ends closed. Cover buns with a towel and let stand 30 min. Brush buns with egg wash and sprinkle tops with sugar. Bake until browned.
(about 15 min.)

Oh Ella those sound perfect for us! Blueberries are on sale right now, so maybe I'll be trying this recipe out :) Thank you for posting!

Mama your bread looks wonderful!
Kathe, you can do it! Let us know how it turns out!

My bananas are finally ripe enough that I can finish the last of my cupcakes for the wedding and make muffins for our border (the monkey bites I posted awhile back, he loves them!). I may also get some cookies done for while I am laid up...Need to get some baking done ahead as I will not be on my feet for at least 8 weeks.

as always, that NYT bread with minimal ingreds was wonderful.
I still marvel at how easy it is to make, although I do 1 t yeast and more water than called for, plus more salt, I don't like bland anything:huh:

Oh you guys are all so inspiring! I seem to be in a brownie rut...I have made so many batches lately because people keep asking for them, e.g., when we are invited to someone's house ("bring some of your brownies!") and when we invite someone over ("hope you're making brownies!") At least I don't have to look at the recipe anymore! I think it is time for some good basic bread, and some of ella's blueberry buns. They sound wonderful.

I'm going to actually bake bread in the bread machine....
Haven't actually baked in it for years! I don't like the shape but I dont want to heat up the house, or use up the last of the propane!!!!

Haven't actually baked in it for years! I don't like the shape but I dont want to heat up the house, or use up the last of the propane!!!!
then you know what? < you go girl, it'll be wonderful, I use mine on occasion still too, it's set up right in the kitchen so it's a gentle reminder that "I'm" here, use me please". I think I more use it for the clock and timer tho:LOL:

I only use the bread machine for DH's gluten free bread. It just seems to turn out better and I have some recipes specific to the machine that he likes. That reminds me, I should make him a loaf.

I made Ol Blues "melt in your mouth" peanut butter cookies! YUM

Attachments

• PICT1276.jpg
    PICT1276.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 204
I just popped a cheesecake in the oven, made with fresh chevre cheese. I am always suprised how much flavoring these cakes take. i think I tripled the vanilla, added some almond extract that was not called for, and maybe went a little too heavy on the lemon oil. But the final taste was quite encouraging:). Next I have some bleuberries thawing, for a topping:rolleyes:. We are having friends over for dinner tomorrow so I will be doing more baking then. Have a pork loin roast thawing, will bake some taters, have plenty of green beans hanging around, and some type of bread...Life is good:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom