What are you baking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a pumpkin pie in the oven right now and will bake some gingerbread cookies a little later. :chef: Smells soooo good in here.

Just took a loaf of Honey Wheat Bread out of the oven and put in a Fresh Apple Bundt Cake.

Well, we haven't finished off either the cinnamon buns or the rice crispie squares from Monday, but there is an apple pie in the oven right now. Smelling oh so nummy.

Early American Spice Cake

:chef: This morning I made my very first spice cake. It's called "Early American Spice Cake".

Many years ago I used to buy small commercial spice cakes back in Michigan. They were individual size and were sold with the cupcakes and other commercial baked goodies in the supermarket. They had a nice white icing on top and I thought that they were very delicious.

I haven't had any spice cake in decades so today I baked one. It's cooling off on a wire rack right now in my kitchen.

I sure hope my spice cake tastes good. :chef:

Just took white whole wheat NYT out of oven - smells good! Let's see how it tastes. The batter (guess that's what you call it) was a bit stiffer than regular white bread for the same NYT recipe. If it's kind of dry and heavy I'll try adding about 2 Tbsp more water next time.

Just took white whole wheat NYT out of oven - smells good! Let's see how it tastes. The batter (guess that's what you call it) was a bit stiffer than regular white bread for the same NYT recipe. If it's kind of dry and heavy I'll try adding about 2 Tbsp more water next time.
I have started adding additional water to NYT breads with rye and wheat flours (25%). 2-3 T is about right, but a little more won't bother it.

Joe:

You're absolutely correct. It really could have benefited from the additional moisture. It's edible, just, but it has a great nutty flavor. Hopefully that will continue to be the case as I add the extra water.

Somewhere, in one of these threads, I asked if anyone had a recipe for sandwich rolls (sub, grinder) that would resemble those from the grocery store bakery, i.e. light texture and thin (not artisian) crust. I've got lots of recipes that make that claim and not one of them delivers. Has anyone in our family had good luck with this endeavor?

Six 12-13 ounce thick crust Italian breads made with biga and 14% wheat gluten flour. One hour+ for sponge development, .5 hour stirring and kneading, 1.5 hour first rise, .5 hour second rise, .25 hour rest after shaping, and .75 hour baking at 375F. Total- about 5+ hours including ingredient weighing and cleanup.

Somewhere, in one of these threads, I asked if anyone had a recipe for sandwich rolls (sub, grinder) that would resemble those from the grocery store bakery, i.e. light texture and thin (not artisian) crust. I've got lots of recipes that make that claim and not one of them delivers. Has anyone in our family had good luck with this endeavor?

I take my regular white bread recipe and just make 4 oz. tubes for the sub rolls. Here's the Italian loaves on the right and whole wheat on the left.

img_725551_0_2d50ba61d4cfb85b3fbbdd361e901c36.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom