What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Again today I took two Vicodin and sure enough my innards were filled with excess energy. So I finished the job I started yesterday. (see post #22437) The only piece of furniture that didn't get moved was my craft cabinet. Rosie and Clunky really got a workout today. But I am happy with the end results. The whole room has been turned around. It is the way I wanted it in the first place. I now can sit and do my needlework in the proper light without having shadows on my work. It has been 1.5 years since my eye surgery and unless I have the proper lighting, I find it hard to do the things I enjoy doing.

So, now I am going to attempt to eat something. The Pirate is going to make baked pork chops with seasoned rice. No veggies tonight. I will be lucky to get one pork chop down. But I will try. The Pirate said that sometimes an opiate will affect your appetite. I don't know if this is true or not, but I will try to eat. :angel:

I revisited my usual restaurant, where quality is assured, the Cafe Rouge chain. Do you have them in US? French cooking.

I had my fav dish there - the duck confit with gratin dauphinois, al dente mangetout and a good cherry and port thick sauce. It was great to reassure myself that this is how duck confit should be (after my recent disastrous, oversalted, experience).

I did realise though that I think I prefer my recipe version of it. I have an excellent recipe where you marinade the legs in salt, garlic, bayleaves and thyme (or sage) overnight and slowly simmer the next day, with a little white wine, for 2 hours. It is one of the most tastiest dishes I have ever eaten. Looks plain but tastes divine.

DH #1 loved duck. I find it just too greasy. No matter how you cook it. But I will say, for the few times I have had home fries, (boiled and cut up potatoes) the best I ever had was when they were sautéed in duck fat. Done right, they were not greasy, and made my breakfast. Served with breakfast sausages and poached eggs on toast, what more can I say. :angel:

DH #1 loved duck. I find it just too greasy. No matter how you cook it. But I will say, for the few times I have had home fries, (boiled and cut up potatoes) the best I ever had was when they were sautéed in duck fat. Done right, they were not greasy, and made my breakfast. Served with breakfast sausages and poached eggs on toast, what more can I say. :angel:
Yes this sounds like duck confit.

Re. greasiness...have you tried/had duck where the skin was first pricked (with a fork)? Lets out the oils. Also if the whole duck is roasted on a rack, the fat drips away - great for roast potatoes. ;)

Visiting Blowing Rock nc for a couple days. This town exudes charm, and being on top of a mountain there are stunning views!

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Yes this sounds like duck confit.

Re. greasiness...have you tried/had duck where the skin was first pricked (with a fork)? Lets out the oils. Also if the whole duck is roasted on a rack, the fat drips away - great for roast potatoes. ;)

The Pirate loves duck. A whole roasted duck. My sister used to make one for him every year for his birthday. Then when she died, I took it over. I have a bird stand whereby you place the bird over the part that holds it upright and as it roasts, the fat drips into the pan below. Sort of like a beer can chicken. I simply do not like the taste of duck meat. I do save the grease for the home fries though. Home fries are not roasted potatoes. They are boiled potatoes that once cooked, they are peeled and cut into cubes. Then they are fried the next day. A lot different from hash browns. I have rubbed the outside of potatoes to be baked with duck fat. Nice and crispy skin. :angel:

Today I visited my mother in her nursing home (where she has been residing since this April since her dementia worsened and she can no longer manage stairs). I visit twice a week (my siblings filling in the other days). She is 94.

She never remembers where she is or what is wrong with her. I am thankful that she remembers us. She has vascular dementia so maybe it is the other types that are worse. I had to remind her of the 2 years I lived with her until she contracted pneumonia - and survived it - after xmas!

I have to say it is fantastic to get my life back and tend to my garden properly again. Also to get back into cooking, i.e. trying out recipes (I was out of my comfort zone at her place).

Every day at least one of my kids stop by or call to make sure I am all right. They figure I gave a lot of years to them while raising them, so now it is time to give some of it back. I don't expect it, nor do I necessarily need it or ask for it. My kids are just grateful that I am still alive and they have the opportunity to give back some. I am their comfort zone when they get to take home a large pan of mac and cheese with tomatoes, or a chocolate cake, apple pie. If I need anything, I pick up the phone and I will have it by nightfall. No questions asked. So many of the residents here have commented that they wish their kids would visit even one day a week.

The day will come when your mother will not remember any of her children. Will the visits to her stop then? Dementia is a difficult illness for a family to suffer through. Since her memory is gone, it is up to her children to keep them alive. Pass them down to the grandchildren. Write them down if necessary before they are lost. :angel:

Addie we are constantly jogging her memory. She remembers bits and pieces but it's patchy. It's a blessing that she cannot remember her house since she would want to be there.

Addie we are constantly jogging her memory. She remembers bits and pieces but it's patchy. It's a blessing that she cannot remember her house since she would want to be there.

We have had a couple of those patients here also. They keep wanting to go home. Unfortunately, their children do not understand that this is a self sustaining residency meaning that the residents have to be able to care for themselves. They start wandering the hall at night totally lost as to where they are. As residents, we can not legally do anything to help them. If they should fall or get hurt while we try to help them, we and the management can be held responsible. So those residents do not last here even for a month. It is very hard to stand by and watch them wandering about in a state of confusion. And I am sure their children can't always understand either.

Each week when I go to Winthrop for my PT, I walk into a very large room full of very elderly patients. Most of them have Alzheimer's Disease. There is even a husband and wife there. The husband is worse than the wife, so she feeds him. It is very touching to see them sitting side by side, holding hands. One can only hope that when their time comes, they go together. I can't end this missive without giving a lot of credit to the staff at Winthrop. They have more than the patience of Job. I have never heard one of them raise their voice, or show exasperation in caring for these folks. Even if a patient slaps them. Which happens often. Come time for exercising, if the patient can't raise their hands up, a staff member will hold their arms and help them. Some of the patients have to be fed. Again, the staff to the rescue. :angel:

Yes the staff at my mother's caring home are very caring too. Mind you, before we introduced my mother to that home we had done our homework (comprehensive researching and visiting what was locally available).

Are you on the staff there then? It must be very frustrating not to be able to be of help when they fall. At my mother's nursing home, they are dependent on staff (i.e. not set up like Winthrop). My mother has a sensor mat beside her bed which, should she fall on it, would alert staff.

Yes the staff at my mother's caring home are very caring too. Mind you, before we introduced my mother to that home we had done our homework (comprehensive researching and visiting what was locally available).

Are you on the staff there then? It must be very frustrating not to be able to be of help when they fall. At my mother's nursing home, they are dependent on staff (i.e. not set up like Winthrop). My mother has a sensor mat beside her bed which, should she fall on it, would alert staff.

No, I am a patient there also. But I am able to live by myself and care for myself. I go there once a month to get my vitals checked and weekly for physical therapy for my leg muscles. I have had three heart attacks and other health problems. So Winthrop is where I go for my medical care. :angel:

Oh my....that's a lot to contend with. :ohmy: You seem to manage it all quite well from what I have read.
Thank you for explaining.

I have high blood pressure and am obese - put on about 12 kilograms over the 2 years of looking after my mother. I admit to overeating but feel deprived if I cut back... I do the odd detox and used to fast for days....way back in the last century! :rolleyes:

Oh my....that's a lot to contend with. :ohmy: You seem to manage it all quite well from what I have read.
Thank you for explaining.

I have high blood pressure and am obese - put on about 12 kilograms over the 2 years of looking after my mother. I admit to overeating but feel deprived if I cut back... I do the odd detox and used to fast for days....way back in the last century! :rolleyes:

You do the things in life that you have to do without complaining. Just do it and get it done. :angel:

We have had a couple of those patients here also. They keep wanting to go home. Unfortunately, their children do not understand that this is a self sustaining residency meaning that the residents have to be able to care for themselves. They start wandering the hall at night totally lost as to where they are. As residents, we can not legally do anything to help them. If they should fall or get hurt while we try to help them, we and the management can be held responsible. So those residents do not last here even for a month. It is very hard to stand by and watch them wandering about in a state of confusion. And I am sure their children can't always understand either.

Each week when I go to Winthrop for my PT, I walk into a very large room full of very elderly patients. Most of them have Alzheimer's Disease. There is even a husband and wife there. The husband is worse than the wife, so she feeds him. It is very touching to see them sitting side by side, holding hands. One can only hope that when their time comes, they go together. I can't end this missive without giving a lot of credit to the staff at Winthrop. They have more than the patience of Job. I have never heard one of them raise their voice, or show exasperation in caring for these folks. Even if a patient slaps them. Which happens often. Come time for exercising, if the patient can't raise their hands up, a staff member will hold their arms and help them. Some of the patients have to be fed. Again, the staff to the rescue. :angel:

Often I wish I was back on the floor, working with my demented patients. But, I don't think I could keep up anymore. Interviews and coordinating care is all I can handle these days.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom