What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What am I doing? Well, I put the potatoes on for the potato salad, and peeled two carrots for the slaw. Now I have to sit to give my spine a rest. Son #2 got a call about a broken pipe, so he will be late. That gives me time to cook, rest, cook, rest. Next step is to do the cabbage and salt and press it to get all the water out.

I will use the shredding disc to do the cabbage and carrots. Then I will use the regular blade to cut them down even further. I would use the knife ordinarily, but I can't stand that long. So I let my kitchen tools do the job for me.

Well, rested enough. Time to get back to work. :)

Just finished cleaning up after breakfast. I oven baked two pounds of bacon. Some will be frozen and some was part of breakfast along with waffles with apple and brown sugar topping.

Just finished cleaning up after breakfast. I oven baked two pounds of bacon. Some will be frozen and some was part of breakfast along with waffles with apple and brown sugar topping.

Have you frozen cooked bacon before? Do you cook your bacon crispy? How do you reheat it?

Have you frozen cooked bacon before? Do you cook your bacon crispy? How do you reheat it?

I freeze it all the time. I try to cook it a little under done then I drain it and roll it up in a long piece of paper towel and stuff it into a gallon freezer bag.

When I want some bacon, I just unroll the paper towel and peel off the strips I want and microwave them in paper towels for 10-15 seconds. Longer if you want them crispier. Works great.

I freeze it all the time. I try to cook it a little under done then I drain it and roll it up in a long piece of paper towel and stuff it into a gallon freezer bag.

When I want some bacon, I just unroll the paper towel and peel off the strips I want and microwave them in paper towels for 10-15 seconds. Longer if you want them crispier. Works great.

I'll give that a try. Sometimes it really helps to make bacon quickly. At my house we have a rule about smelling up the house with bacon. Don't do it unless you are willing to make enough for everyone. Companion animals included. :LOL:

I have skipped making bacon for myself (low carb diet) a few times because of that rule. :ermm:

Andy M. said:

I do the exact same thing.

Well, there is usually about 1 gram / slice. Most bacon has some sugar.

I meant I skipped making bacon for myself because I was too lazy to make it for other people too.

According to the USDA, a slice of raw bacon contains 0.19 grams of carbs. You'd have to eat 5-6 slices to get one gram. Besides, it's worth it.

According to the USDA, a slice of raw bacon contains 0.19 grams of carbs. You'd have to eat 5-6 slices to get one gram. Besides, it's worth it.

Notice the US part of USDA?

I was going to agree with you. Lots of products say 1 gram of carbohydrates when it is much less. They just don't bother to write less than 1.

But, this is Kirkland, low sodium bacon. I just read the label: for a serving of 2 slices, it's 3 grams of carbs! But, not enough that I eliminate it from a low carb diet. It's low carb, not no carb. I noticed that there are more carbs in the low sodium bacon than in the regular bacon. Last time I did low carb, I wasn't worrying about salt.

Notice the US part of USDA?

I was going to agree with you. Lots of products say 1 gram of carbohydrates when it is much less. They just don't bother to write less than 1.

But, this is Kirkland, low sodium bacon. I just read the label: for a serving of 2 slices, it's 3 grams of carbs! But, not enough that I eliminate it from a low carb diet. It's low carb, not no carb. I noticed that there are more carbs in the low sodium bacon than in the regular bacon. Last time I did low carb, I wasn't worrying about salt.

I was, in fact, looking at American bacon (Costco) and it wasn't maple flavored or low sodium.

I was, in fact, looking at American bacon (Costco) and it wasn't maple flavored or low sodium.

This wasn't maple flavoured or anything like that. I thought maybe they added more sugar, catering to the Quebec sweet tooth. But the ingredients list doesn't have any sugar or anything that should have carbs. Maybe our pigs have more carbs?

Maybe we can't really trust what it says in those nutritional panels :ermm:

Did you know that is is much easier to buy things if you have your wallet with you??? I learn something new every day!

My plastic was in the wallet, too. I was all the way across town when i noticed I didn't have it...or my drivers license.

Just got home from the in-laws in NE S.D. Alot more snow there. Had to wear sunglasses all the way home, not from the sunshine, as there was none, but the glare from all the white snow & the white sky. Glad to get home, now what to make for supper.

Back
Top Bottom